BANGKOK 10 December 2018 15:54
balo

Forum very slow and pages not loading

On 12/5/2018 at 6:13 PM, xylophone said:

For the non-tech (IT) minded amongst us Con Queso, does this mean that much more work is needed on the website to bring it round to a more "user friendly" state??"

And a non IT tech I didn't understand much of the findings, but was VERY aware that something was wrong. Also agree that the TV techs should know that much work is needed here.

That post was made by me, not Con Queso.  Several people in my house have TV accounts and sometimes we don't notice which account is logged in when we're posting.  No wonder I wasn't seeing all these new post notifications.

Anyway, I can't comment about the technical stuff in the report.  I did manage a government web app development team for a few years and from the many meetings we had, I recognize some of these as critical issues that would cause the QA team to reject deployment of a site that was suffering some of these issues.

Here's the web-based utility I used: https://www.dareboost.com/en

Not so sure if it would be fair to run it again at the moment, knowing they've pulled the site apart and are currently working on it.  

• Like 1

Very funny this, I normally never look at my watch but every time I want to open a lot of pages the time is either :02 or :32  .   So just have to leave the computer and come back in 3 minutes. Very annoying. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, balo said:

Very funny this, I normally never look at my watch but every time I want to open a lot of pages the time is either :02 or :32  .   So just have to leave the computer and come back in 3 minutes. Very annoying. 

The same as me.

I walk up and down the stairs a couple of times for exercise and to get me from out of the chair for a while.

It seems odd to me that this timing thing has been going on for a couple of weeks now and it still hasn't been fixed yet.

Do you think there may be a clue in the timing?

My notifications (for reactions and post quotes) have, for the last couple of day stopped working. This is on my laptop (using Microsoft Edge). They are however still working on the app on my iPad. So far I've tried clearing the old notifications and logging out and in again to no avail. I haven't. to my knowledge changed anything in the notification settings.

Has any one else experienced this? 

5 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

My notifications (for reactions and post quotes) have, for the last couple of day stopped working. This is on my laptop (using Microsoft Edge). They are however still working on the app on my iPad. So far I've tried clearing the old notifications and logging out and in again to no avail. I haven't. to my knowledge changed anything in the notification settings.

Has any one else experienced this? 

Yes mine does the same, but I have found if I put a shilling in the USB slot, it is usually good for 1 hour.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It seems odd to me that this timing thing has been going on for a couple of weeks now and it still hasn't been fixed yet.

I doubt that the actual timing (x.02 and x.32) is relevant at all. I expect that this is actually some cron job firing every 30 minutes. Possibly some sort of archiving or indexing task, or maybe something to do with cacheing.
And I expect that it will show up as high CPU usage for a couple of minutes if anyone cares to check the server logs.

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

As a previous poster noted its just the right amount of time to make a bacon sandwich and then a cup of coffee when the other dead zone arrives :biggrin:

A great plan. I like that.

44 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I doubt that the actual timing (x.02 and x.32) is relevant at all. I expect that this is actually some cron job firing every 30 minutes. Possibly some sort of archiving or indexing task, or maybe something to do with cacheing.
And I expect that it will show up as high CPU usage for a couple of minutes if anyone cares to check the server logs.

But it never used to happen so this must be yet another "improvement" problem.

Unfortunately none of oiks are allowed to "play" on the server in case we cause a problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

I haven't got a clue.