Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 13 December 2018 23:46
HampiK

What is your method to stay here (changes in the embassy letters)

Type of Visa/Extension method  

355 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use the 800K/400K method, as I have here the better interest rate as in a bank back in Swiss.

Additional I feel more comfortable when I have some spare money for a fast use if needed.

@admin thanks for delete the second poll, as I had a timeout and then send it a second time 🙂

• Like 1

I used income affidavit (US) for my initial in 2016 and yearly extensions in 2017 & 2018. I have pension well over 65k, but Jomtien Immigration would not accept my pension and said I had to have the income affidavit from US embassy... I will use 800k bank account in Sep 2019 unless they (TI) starts accepting pensions.

Edited by JohnnyBD

18 minutes ago, JohnnyBD said:

I used income affidavit (US) for my initial in 2016 and yearly extensions in 2017 & 2018. I have pension well over 65k, but Jomtien Immigration would not accept my pension and said I had to have the income affidavit from US embassy... I will use 800k bank account in Sep 2019 unless they (TI) starts accepting pensions.

Ditto.. used the Embassy letter since 2009 but unless things change with Imm then it will have to be the cash in bank

• Like 1

I initially used the 800k in the bank when doing a retirement extension a few years back. Then changed to income letter (BE) for the last 3/4 years as it was an easy process (more so being able to email the docs).

With the BE discontinuing the IL I have time before my next extension date (May19) to see what options are available going forward. In any event, will apply for the BE Letter by 12 December to leave that as a possible option for next year.

I receive a yearly lump-sum private pension in November each year well in excess of the minimum requirement and can either arrange the monthly inflows (if an option) or place 800k in the bank for 3 months ahead of the extension date around Jan/Feb then, from May, use that up to my next pension payment. So will see what transpires by end January and decide at that time. Extending the 'seasoning' time to, say, a full year with no monthly income option would need a rethink.

A inflammatory post has been removed.

• Like 1

I will use the letter for the last time as my renewal is in February and after that I will use the money in a Thai bank as my monthly income sometimes falls under the required amount.

Sent from my Redmi Note 6 Pro using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I was hoping to use the UK Embassy letter for my next extension but it looks as though this will not work because of the unfortunate fall of the dates.

My next extension is not due until 22 July so i would, normally, apply 30 days earlier, on 22 June.  I can get an Embassy letter by applying by 12 December but what the issue date would be is uncertain.  As the Embassy say that they will provide the letter 'within 10 working days' it is entirely possible that the issue date would be before 22 December.  I asked the Embassy if they could post-date the letter but they will not.  What you get is what you get! 

You can see the potential problem here.  Jomptien Immigration will allow extensions to be done 30 days early and I had heard that 45 days was allowable under some circumstances.  However, when I asked about this today - I was there for a 90-day report - the lady assistant on the retirement desk - admittedly, not the actual IO -was quite adamant that 30 days was the maximum allowable.  This means that the Embassy letter would likely have exceeded its 6-month life span by the time that I applied.  Bummer!!

Looks like the 800k in the bank route is the only viable option - unless Thai Immigration alters its stance on what is acceptable proof of income.  I can provide bank statements going back 14 years - both UK and Thai banks - but, as we know, at present these mean nothing without the Embassy letter.

We really need some decision by TI as soon as possible - always assuming that they are willing to change anything.  I really would prefer to leave my 800k invested where it currently is, rather than deposit it in a Thai bank.  If I have to do this, I will, but it can't be done overnight - takes time to liquidate investments.  I have time enough right now but I shall have to decide what to do by the end of the year.

Anyone asked the same, or similar question at Jomptien?

• Like 1

I used to use the 800k method in the bank, but over the last three years have reverted to the income verification letters from the NZ embassy, mainly because I didn't want to have to break my term deposits in NZ in order to bring the 800k over here. 

This mainly because the interest rates I was getting were between 3.5 and 3.75% per annum and breaking a term deposit can result in a break fee.

I suspect the NZ embassy will revert as the other embassies have done, so it is back to the 800k method – – no real problems other than being able to time my term deposits to give me the available funds when I want them.