BANGKOK 10 December 2018 10:12

Waze is an app that can be downloaded into phones and used like a Garmin GPS route finder.  I have been using it lately and like it.  Anyone else trying it out?  What do you think of it?

The major advantage of WAZE over Google Maps is the live contributions by users about accidents, hazards and police ahead, but obviously the quality of this function depends on the number of users on the road, which at present may still be rather low in Thailand.

Some of the features of WAZE have been incorporated into Android Auto, which is the GPS navigation app I now frequently use in Central Europe when travelling by car. I haven't tried it out in Thailand yet.

Wazeopedia has this web page for Thailand:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Thailand/หน้าหลัก

• Like 1

I've used it several times and it's great. My default language is English and it makes good pronunciations. Hope you have good luck with it too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I will use it sometimes. It's a great app but doesn't seem to be very popular in Thailand. Whenever I get home to Panama Waze is the go to app for GPS. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 11:08 AM, Maestro said:

The major advantage of WAZE over Google Maps is the live contributions by users about accidents, hazards and police ahead, but obviously the quality of this function depends on the number of users on the road, which at present may still be rather low in Thailand.

Some of the features of WAZE have been incorporated into Android Auto, which is the GPS navigation app I now frequently use in Central Europe when travelling by car. I haven't tried it out in Thailand yet.

Wazeopedia has this web page for Thailand:

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/Thailand/หน้าหลัก

As @Maestro says, Android Auto (from the Play Store) incorporates Waze and Google Maps giving you the option when you start it thus:

Screenshot_20181118-081335.png

So if you have either Waze or Google Maps installed, you have the best of both worlds available as a choice.

So wherever your maps are, choose that one!

I've only used it in UK so far but if the maps are available in Thailand, either app should load them.

I believe that a minimum of Android 8 (Oreo) is required - I'm lucky having just bought a new phone, I'm on 9 (Pie)

Edited by VBF
  • Thanks 1

Actually, this is a good OP.  On my last three vacations I've used Google Maps and was less than happy.  I've had the app flat out give me wrong directions sending me in the opposite direction from where I was going or telling me to make U-turns where I knew that the correct direction was straight.  Also, if I load in a destination on my wife's phone and the same destination on mine and then get different directions from the app.  And on a trip from Cha Am to Lopburi, the app got us so lost in the Bangkok road maze I wanted to kill my phone.  It took us off a toll road going North (that I'm sure I should have stayed on) and I could never find the way back to it.  We looped past the same locations in about a 10 kilometer radius for about 90 minutes.  I finally told my wife to shut off her phone and her screaming comments and let me drive.  I finally found an on-ramp heading north via a compass reading and just went with it until I recognized the area we were in.  It didn't help that there were virtually no highway numbers displayed on the elevated toll roads.  That was unpleasant. 

Anyway, I'd like to try a new app for finding direction.  Actually what I really want is a detailed road map like you can buy in the US as any gas station, but what they have here are inaccurate and poorly scaled, ie, they suck.  I'll give WAZE a shot but I'd be interested in other map/direction/GPS apps too.

Edited by connda

I would not drive anywhere without my Waze - have used it since 2007 as taxi driver in Copenhagen and the last 4 years in Thailand at more than 140.000 km! It is a great app, the only real social nav with realtime updates, warnings about roadwork, accidents, police razzia/control and traffic jam, calculate new route around the traffic jam, shows the reported speed "inside" the traffic jam! It is the user himself/herself that report the incidents and therefore reliable! Have been map editor since 2013 and made more than 20.000 updates, corrections, update requests from other users and "created" a lot of roads missing on the map! Can highly recommend Waze, it's free and simple - and is owned by Google! Would be happy to meet a lot more Wazers on the roads in Thailand!  

• Like 1

Hi I'm a wazer Generally it's good there are two occasions where the traffic condition had changed and I was in a bus only lane .Yes the police were there collecting .I reported the change but nothing happened .400 Baht later ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davemos said:

Hi I'm a wazer Generally it's good there are two occasions where the traffic condition had changed and I was in a bus only lane .Yes the police were there collecting .I reported the change but nothing happened .400 Baht later ...

Hi davemos, sad to hear your report didn't get through, can happen due to weak signal etc but rarely - how long time since your report and where?

Google bought WAZE off the Israelis in June 2013 for about $US1.3 billion so it is Google anyway. 

Waze is community-based, Google Maps is more data-based. ... Waze offers real time info such as road closures, traffic alerts and real-time traffic conditions based on driver data. Google Maps has only started to include some of these features recently

My wife and I had previously been using SNAV overlaid on Google maps on our Android phones here in Thailand.  It was working fine and remarkably accurate and bulletproof.  I read a great review some months ago about WAZE and downloaded it to both our phones.  I have been using it but my wife has mainly stuck with SNAV & Google maps.  I find it a little easier to use (more intuitive) than SNAV but we have had a few funny instructions on Rural back roads possibly because it was telling us up-to-date info from other road users.    With both in my phone it is easy to use whichever we like and close and change if we have an idea that the current one is confused in some way. It is impressive that either work so well in Thailand with language difficulties.   

Last Friday afternoon & evening we drove from rural Chonburi via Chacheongsao and on to Saraburi.  Final destination was Sir James golf Resort hotel.  The traffic on a Friday night on the main roads is apparently hell on that route so my wife used WAZE to find our way there via the back roads and through all the small towns (which she knows all the names of), and with a second delivery later in the trip. Poor WAZE seemingly got confused a few times by us doing numerous serial short "trips" to multiple "destinations" but we got there.  I think our odd methodology tried as hard as possible to make it fail but it still succeeded.  We used it heaps on Saturday doing day trips to various local attractions and it worked perfectly and used again to come back on Sunday via Khao Yai forest park.  

I will persist in using WAZE as my first call and wife is starting to get keen on it too.

Hope our experience helps

Edited by The Deerhunter
  • Like 1

I installed WAZE after reading this topic and 

5 hours ago, connda said:

I'd be interested in other map/direction/GPS apps too

Aside from Android Auto, Waze and Google Maps, I have Sygic on my phone.

Waze is great. Although I think mine is pulling information from apple maps (?) and I don’t know how to make it take information from google maps instead. (For example, sometimes when I finish the trip, apple maps has also turned on - and I despise apple maps). 

Unless I just haven’t figured out how to do it, the only issue I have with Waze over google maps is that when the tgf wants som tum after the first 4 minutes of driving because she didn’t plan more than 5 minutes ahead in time on a 3 hour road trip, you can’t search for “som tum” on route for a quick detour. 

But the speed traps, police alerts, red light cameras etc are awesome features especially when driving in unfamiliar places

• Thanks 1