Jump to content
BANGKOK 11 December 2018 07:01

Recommended Posts

Hello, 

 

I am a UK citizen here. I hold 2 passports for the UK. Both in date and valid. 

 

I have a retirement extension valid until June 2019. 

 

I have 2 children in an international school at technically they are my dependents. 

 

The school will and can issue me with the paperwork to get the Non O. 

 

I originally went for the OA but have since realised that being retired is a boring way of living my life. No offence on the retirees here, but I am only 50 and also, this week, I cancelled the planned retirement at my current work place in China. 

 

My current financial situation is very strong. Even though I have spent more time abroad than in Thailand, I have spent in excess of 3 million baht this year. I also have a few million in a foriegn deposit accounts in Thailand. 

 

My idea is that I wish to go to the embassy in China, I am a permanent resident here, and get the o visa. However, in my passport I have the o with retirement extension and the multiple return permit. Can the embassy cancel the current O Visa and the Multiple entry return permit and issue an O. I can then get the O extended in Thailand thanks to the school that I am the legal guardian of my children there. 

 

If I go the embassy and explain that I have decided not to retire, thus the current visa I have is not applicable, and to remain working in China, but wish to fly to Thailand at least one a month for extended periods, such as 3 weeks for Xmas.

 

In this world of compliance, the retirement visa is not really valid anymore and I do not want any problems when I travel to Thailand to see my wife and Children. When I fly in and out of Thailand, it is clear that I am a business man. Though I conduct no business in Thailand. 

 

Additionally, I have negotiating with some Thai partners who seek to collaborate on a new Chinese / Thailand business venture. Obviously a retirement visa does not allow that to proceed. The partners are very well placed and my group will be investing financially and IP. There are zero concerns here as the partners are very well known to us and are very reliable. 

 

Can anyone offer some relevant guidance on this matter?

 

Someone suggested that I return to Thailand next month and try and enter as a tourist. This cancels the MERP and the OA extension. Then I can get the O legitimately in Thailand. Though that is all a hassle when I have the embassy next door to me in China. 

 

Many thanks

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The embassy cannot cancel your current extension of stay or the re-entry permit.

There is no rule that states you cannot be working outside the country while on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You could change the reason for your extension for retirement to one based upon being the parent of a foreign child attending school near the end of your current extension. You will need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 90 days on the date your apply. Requirements for the extension are here at #5. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_11

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you really allowed in the UK to hold 2 passports at the very same time?? 2 SAME passports??? or is one of them a fraud or a fake??

 

glegolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Are you really allowed in the UK to hold 2 passports at the very same time?? 2 SAME passports??? or is one of them a fraud or a fake??

Yes it is allowed. Many countries allow a person to have 2 valid passports if there is a valid reason such as needing 2 passports to apply for a visa for a country for work or business purposes while using one of them stay in another country.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it is allowed. Many countries allow a person to have 2 valid passports if there is a valid reason such as needing 2 passports to apply for a visa for a country for work or business purposes while using one of them stay in another country.

Thank you for info, really good to know..

 

glegolo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Are you really allowed in the UK to hold 2 passports at the very same time?? 2 SAME passports??? or is one of them a fraud or a fake??

 

glegolo

Yes, I'm a Brit and have had two concurrent passports. As long as there's a valid reason, it's fine for us.

My reason was  applying for a lot a visas at the same time, for a journey covering many countries.

Also, if you have an Israeli stamp in your passport, you are often refused entry to many other Arab countries, a second passport skirts that issue.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy cannot cancel your current extension of stay or the re-entry permit.

There is no rule that states you cannot be working outside the country while on an extension of stay based upon retirement.

You could change the reason for your extension for retirement to one based upon being the parent of a foreign child attending school near the end of your current extension. You will need 500k baht in a Thai bank for 90 days on the date your apply. Requirements for the extension are here at #5. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_11

Thanks Joe. The 500k is a Non-issue for me. 

 

Just wondering, if I turn up at Suvarnabhumi and don't fill in the Re entry permit number on my Tm6, maybe I get stamped in as a visitor, then would that negate the re-entry permit? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, troniccrypt said:

Just wondering, if I turn up at Suvarnabhumi and don't fill in the Re entry permit number on my Tm6, maybe I get stamped in as a visitor, then would that negate the re-entry permit? 

The might result in getting the wrong entry stamp but the next time you entered the country they might want to use your re-entry permit if they saw it.

No sure why you want to cancel your extension now. You can wait until it is nearly ended and do the the change I mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sponsors
×