Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 13 December 2018 23:00
miketu

Why is my DTAC phone losing 10 baht every 30 minutes without being used?

Hello all, has anyone had a problem with their DTAC sim card phone loosing 10+ baht every 30 minutes or so without being used??  I am in Thailand now and took out the AT&T sim card in my samsung android phone when I arrived and replaced it with my DTAC sim card like I do every year.   When I got to Thailand i had 137 baht on my DTAC sim card from last year.  But a few hours later after making only one short phone call i had only 2 baht left on the phone.  I turned off mobile data for internet access but that had no effect on the loosing of minutes.

Now I have put 1000 baht on my phone a couple hours ago and am now down to 975 baht with no phone calls made and mobile data internet disabled.  <deleted>???

Has anyone had a similar experience?? 

Edited by CharlieH
Title ALL CAPS removed.

Check your mobile data really is completely disabled. Even tiny amounts of data can swallow your balance if you don't have a data plan.

Failing that time to visit a DTAC outlet and see what they say.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Check your mobile data really is disabled. Even tiny amounts of data can swallow your balance if you don't have a data plan.

Failing that time to visit a DTAC outlet and see what they say.

Thanks, I'll make sure mobile data is absolutely turned off.  I have it turned off from the Settings menu but maybe there is "leaking" somewhere.  I've disabled a lot of un-needed apps also.  Just did a phone baht check and it's still at 975.89 baht after 40 minutes this time.  

I have a data plan with them....I've quit putting large amounts over the plan balance because it bleeds away....

I don't call systems besides DTAC & I don't exceed my data allowance....Most months there are maybe 3 calls made, never for more than a few minutes....

Yet, I've found the balance still winds down.....

My wife's mentioned the same happening with her's......She rarely puts money on her phone unless travelling - but I seems to winnow away......

2 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I have a data plan with them....I've quit putting large amounts over the plan balance because it bleeds away....

I don't call systems besides DTAC & I don't exceed my data allowance....Most months there are maybe 3 calls made, never for more than a few minutes....

Yet, I've found the balance still winds down.....

My wife's mentioned the same happening with her's......She rarely puts money on her phone unless travelling - but I seems to winnow away......

It sounds almost like something "funny" is going on with dtac??

8 minutes ago, miketu said:

It sounds almost like something "funny" is going on with dtac??

Agreed - my wife's business phone is on another carrier & no problem with this.....

Quite often I'll get top up today & receive xxxxxx additional "free" stuff even though it's mid cycle & there's still a surplus balance....

It's made me wonder why the need.....

Another possibility is a rogue app that sends text messages without you knowing it.

Dont even bother fixing it.

Close account.

Go to AIS.

Choose a plan.

Have them churn the number over to their network if thats possible, and you want to.

Be happy again. 😄

3 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Another possibility is a rogue app that sends text messages without you knowing it.

yes, that's why i just went thru and disabled any suspect apps including "myAT&T" app.  My stateside at&t account goes into a suspended mode in a few days so maybe even without the att sim card now it's been leaking baht.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Small Joke said:

Dont even bother fixing it.

Close account.

Go to AIS.

Choose a plan.

Have them churn the number over to their network if thats possible, and you want to.

Be happy again. 😄

So can I keep my current dtac mobile number if I switch over to AIS?

There is another nasty here in that you can inadvertently, or perhaps be, subscribed to receive SMS messages at a cost - and that often requires contact with provider to stop.  

8 minutes ago, miketu said:

that's why i just went thru and disabled any suspect apps including "myAT&T" app

That sounds plausible - expect it would have permissions to attempt contact which likely involves sending data.  

I had this issue it was from some stupid text messages I was receiving only found out how to disable them when I logged into my account online,the text messages were about some stupid games and you pay to receive them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, taninthai said:

I had this issue it was from some stupid text messages I was receiving only found out how to disable them when I logged into my account online,the text messages were about some stupid games and you pay to receive them

something's still going on, i just lost another 5 baht.  do i have a dtac account to log in to if i have a dtac phone number?  I only add minutes when needed and have never logged in to any dtac account but would I have still have one?

9 minutes ago, miketu said:

something's still going on, i just lost another 5 baht.  do i have a dtac account to log in to if i have a dtac phone number?  I only add minutes when needed and have never logged in to any dtac account but would I have still have one?

Yes, https://my.dtac.co.th/esv/en/login

IMG_5715.thumb.PNG.74a2e3d4c14989529f809413e34b0211.PNG

IMG_5716.thumb.JPG.1943120be2ec98b1a69e3979ec08c9b2.JPG

Edited by sometimewoodworker

I had an old Nokia phone with a DTAC pay-as-you-go sim that I left in the house/used as a spare for many years until I updated my primary phone & replaced the Nokia with a Samsung that had become spare. Any credit (300+ bhat) vanished in a matter of days...

HTH

Edited by evadgib