Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 19 December 2018 01:52
webfact

Pattaya high season hotel bookings well down on 2017 - but there could be a reason say THA

On 11/30/2018 at 12:10 AM, spidermike007 said:

An immigration officer asking a few questions is fairly routine. Being taken aside, and brought into an office to be grilled by two officers for 30 minutes is not routine. It is bizarre. I would have lost it and laid into those goons very hard. He was scared. Thailand is missing the mark and failing the test. 

Maybe the pattern of your friend’s traveling ( with some extensions) raised some eyebrows? I understand IOs are trained in these things so I believe your friend being pulled aside for questioning is not random sampling. There is more than meets the eye. 

On 11/29/2018 at 11:02 PM, marcusarelus said:

You only take the total to the bank.  4 Chinese stay in a room and you get paid for the room.  Who cares how much per person.  How many Brits come to Thailand is irrelevant.  How much they spend is.  Thailand wants less people with more money but that has never happened and I doubt it ever will.  You think your survey is accurate and I think Neilson is but one way or the other it's around 8 billion and it is from China.

I want to put the record straight. Firstly I am chinese. Secondly I spend average 200,000 tbaht each time I am in Thailand which is every month. I stayed 2 weeks a month here interspersed with Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Shanghai. My missus love thailand so much that she got a 20 year thai elite visa. So for me, thailand’s plan for less people but more money is valid. I also put in about 20 million baht in real estate here. Money I can afford to lose. 

So, yes. I would say not all Chinese are small spenders. We just spend our money more shrewdly. No bs bar fining and putting up to the girls moods. We just go to soapies instead. High end at that. 

4 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

I want to put the record straight. Firstly I am chinese. Secondly I spend average 200,000 tbaht each time I am in Thailand which is every month. I stayed 2 weeks a month here interspersed with Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and Shanghai. My missus love thailand so much that she got a 20 year thai elite visa. So for me, thailand’s plan for less people but more money is valid. I also put in about 20 million baht in real estate here. Money I can afford to lose. 

So, yes. I would say not all Chinese are small spenders. We just spend our money more shrewdly. No bs bar fining and putting up to the girls moods. We just go to soapies instead. High end at that. 

Since it is illegal to take that kind of money out of China how do you invest 20 million?  See I don't believe anything you have posted. 😀

On 11/29/2018 at 9:06 PM, BestB said:

I guess scanners in China show little different figures, more like 1/3 of what your scanners show😂🤣

Recently released data from the China Tourism Academy and Ctrip puts the average spending per Chinese international trip at $886

https://jingtravel.com/thailand-expects-10-million-chinese-tourists-also-plans-attract-high-end-visitors/

Be aware that Chinese travelers do not declare the correct amount to the authorities their spendings. Only those captured by the scanners.. chinese do not like to stand out as a spender due to scrutiny by the tax authorities. Those who appeared in Chinese dailies in China with their outrages spendings has the hidden power behind them so do not fear repercussions later on.

11 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Be aware that Chinese travelers do not declare the correct amount to the authorities their spendings. Only those captured by the scanners.. chinese do not like to stand out as a spender due to scrutiny by the tax authorities. Those who appeared in Chinese dailies in China with their outrages spendings has the hidden power behind them so do not fear repercussions later on.

Perhaps you are Malaysian and actually expect us to think you can carry 20 million out of China in your pockets.  Now tell the truth.  You are not a Chinese National and have no idea how Chinese nationals get money out of China. 

Edited by marcusarelus

On 11/29/2018 at 7:41 PM, Spidey said:

Unfortunately you have to drill down a bit to pick the truth out of this document.

Average spend per tourist per destination is very revealing. US top with $4462 per head. Thailand bottom of the list at $2026 per head.

Thailand attracts the bottom of the barrel Chinese tourists as it's considered a cheap destination but not with the attractions wealthy Chinese crave. They are selfie crazy. Why take a selfie with yet another temple (which they have in their own country) when they can have a selfie with the Golden Gate Bridge, Statue of Liberty, Tower Bridge, Nelsons Column, Eiffel Tower, Leaning Tower of Piza or any number of landmarks that are new and unlike anything in China and world famous? 

We don't get the big spending Chinese visitors here and never will.

My take is there is not much in thailand that a big spending Chinese visitor can spend on. Basically only hotels expenditure. Not much in restaurants and nightlife. Bangkok karaoke is not sophisticated unlike shanghai where a night for 4 people can cost about us$1000-1500 for a modest establishment. I lived in Bangkok on and off for more than 25 years so had a number of loaded Chinese visitors ( Koreans and Japanese too) from time to time. 

15 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Perhaps you are Malaysian and actually expect us to think you can carry 20 million out of China in your pockets.  Now tell the truth.  You are not a Chinese National and have no idea how Chinese nationals get money out of China. 

Ha ha . I have business in China past 20 years. Money in and out every month.  Nobody bring serious money out on their body . I understand they use contra system. You pay my friend in china and I pay whoever you wanted in Thailand. Tour companies also notorious in money laundering. 

35 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Since it is illegal to take that kind of money out of China how do you invest 20 million?  See I don't believe anything you have posted. 😀

Sorry. I am not mainland Chinese but Malaysian Chinese. I am in tune with those mainland Chinese though. 

You can take that kind of money out of china if you want to invest in overseas. Why not? I have many Chinese friends buying real estate in Canada, America, Australia, NZ and Thailand too. 

So long as you get the approval of the State admins of foreign exchange showing where your money come from. 

Edited by Ctkong

Interesting to get some Chinese perspective. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Sorry. I am not mainland Chinese but Malaysian Chinese. I am in tune with those mainland Chinese though. 

You can take that kind of money out of china if you want to invest in overseas. Why not? I have many Chinese friends buying real estate in Canada, America, Australia, NZ and Thailand too. 

So long as you get the approval of the State admins of foreign exchange showing where your money come from. 

Why not?  It is illegal.  Chinese citizens are barred from sending money abroad to buy property. 
Beijing only allows its citizens to purchase up to US$50,000 dollars in foreign currency a year.

Chinese banks have to report customers that withdraw more than $10,000 in one day. 

Sorry but you don't know much about China. 

You could tell us how it's done if you knew.  I'm sure many would be interested why so many Chinese tourists really come to Thailand. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Why not?  It is illegal.  Chinese citizens are barred from sending money abroad to buy property. 
Beijing only allows its citizens to purchase up to US$50,000 dollars in foreign currency a year.

Chinese banks have to report customers that withdraw more than $10,000 in one day. 

Sorry but you don't know much about China. 

You could tell us how it's done if you knew.  I'm sure many would be interested why so many Chinese tourists really come to Thailand. 

I have been at least more than 100 times to China staying 2 weeks to 3 weeks sometimes. Doing business with many Chinese companies too. Know their method of operation . They can send money overseas both legally ( using relatives to send as each can send less than $50,000 a year) and under the radar too. The savvy ones would use exported goods for payment to overseas accounts. So I know what I am talking about. No use BS in this forum because I only want to provide a balance view on issues pertaining to Chinese culture. 

Believe me when I said there are literally millions of Chinese doing this, it is true. Travel companies do it by using contra system with Thai travel companies by sending their customers who had already paid to the Chinese companies in China. Thai companies would get the tour amount balance only after the contra. That is why sometimes thai companies didn’t get paid at the end of the tour so they held onto the Chinese tour guide ( who is acting kinda like a guarantor) until balance is paid. 

So many tourists come to Thailand because the rural folks are curious about the world outside . Western culture do not appeal to the rural folks. They are more interested in their immediate neighbor. Also Thailand is a cheap tour. 

Food culture also acceptable to the rural Chinese . The savvy types already visited Thailand before so would bypass Thailand for other more developed countries . Chinese used to buy branded goods when overseas ( they came with a shopping list) before but now it is available at competitive prices in china too. 

Those buying properties in Thailand are those looking to invest in a second home via BnB or short lease . They can’t buy a second home in china the reason being that they do not pay the correct amount of taxes for their income. 

I hope this is enough information for you . Thanks. 

Replying to the poster as to why so many Chinese come visit Thailand . There are a few reasons for that. 

China has a huge population so even a small percentage of traveling Chinese would be a huge number. Those Chinese are mainly rural folks who rarely travel outside their comfort zone. The savvy ones already visited Thailand years ago when outward visas are not easy. They got to have a bond of yuan 50,000 for each overseas travel in case they don’t come back. This is even for business travel. 

Thailand has cheap tours providing beaches and islands which are lacking for those Chinese living inland. Going to beaches in china is more costly than Thailand because they are also further.!

Thailand is closer  to them as most of the thailand visitors are from southern China so traveling distance is not big. Food culture is similar too. Cheap too. 

Rural folks like to travel in a big entourage eating and drinking en mass. A Chinese village can organize a tour of a few hundred people from same village with the headman as tour leader. This is true story. My Thai friend who has a tour company once has a chartered plane load of about 500 tourists from a hainan island  village. Need more than 10 tour buses and guides. I help out as an interpreter for one of the buses .free of course. 

As investment wise, Thailand is not so attractive because of prohibited landed house ownership. The savvy ones would invest in western countries incl. Australia and NZ. Chinese are obsessed with landed properties. They have less faith in condos. Those who invested in chiangmai or Bangkok have an eye in renting them to social groups for short holiday stint. Chinese do not long stay unlike westerners because they have commitments at home. 

That is my take on the above.