Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 14 December 2018 06:22
rooster59

Chinese woman on Phi Phi tour slashed by speedboat propeller

11 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

In China pedestrian has the right of way regardless the traffic condition. Maybe they ‘abuse’ the system for so long that  it was ingrained into their mindset and they brought it to apply in Thailand ..

in singapore, pedestrians has right of way at zebra crossing regardless of traffic condition. But when they do the same when visiting Kuala Lumpur malaysia , they ended up with horrendous result. 

Moral of the story is always be mindful where you are and do not expect your country’s way of doing things here. 

Excellent, thank you for that, especially the following which gets my vote for quote of the day (seriously) which all TVF posters should be forced to recite one hundred times, before posting.!

"Moral of the story is always be mindful where you are and do not expect your country’s way of doing things here". 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, balo said:

They dont even have to pay more, Vietnam is a great option. 

China has a long history with Vietnam and not in a good way...

I think that is why they avoid Vietnam like a plague... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

38 minutes ago, balo said:

They dont even have to pay more, Vietnam is a great option. 

Safer nor cleaner.

29 minutes ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Client Injured by own tours boat indicates utter incompetence on part of the operators.

In other words the authorities who were told seriously to get the safety item all fixed are not doing their jobs.

Basic seamanship is ignored here the Masters license is what , paid for? Chinese guide working illegally (by definition). Plenty of “Farang” qualified to do this kind of thing safely but no chance of WP.

17 hours ago, soalbundy said:

It's as safe as anywhere else if you switch your brain on, she gets off of the boat from the back where the propellers are still revolving, a clear case of stupidity.

Yes stupidity is clearly true...still, there needs to be "qualified" people working the boats that monitor stupid people attempting to do stupid things and guide them in the proper direction....This being said..I realize finding qualified people in Thailand is impossible....Blind leading the blind....what can you do???

17 hours ago, Ulic said:

Did the guides on the boat do a safety briefing warning snorkelers to wait to enter the water until the engine was off

Should that really be necessary?

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, smedly said:

this is quite shocking, yes TAT says all tourists are safe lol

they area obviously not safe

The driver of this boat is either totally incompetent  - drugged up - drunk or a combination of all the above and yet he is driving a boat responsible for people in the boat

yet again we see Thailand unable to enforce existing safety regulations because it costs money and there is no financial gain if they do

safety comes at a price - the trillion baht tourist industry in Thailand is going into pockets...……….yes we take care everything safe for you...…...no it isn't

Have you actually read the full story? How can you say "The driver of this boat is either totally incompetent  - drugged up - drunk or a combination of all the above and yet he is driving a boat responsible for people in the boat". Quite presumptuous of you. Here's an excerpt (below) for you from the full story.
She was getting off the back of the boat to snorkel while the captain was reversing the boat to moor. She suffered severe wounds to both legs
So how is this the driver's fault? I'd say she jumped the gun !
Also, have you ever taken the cruise to Phi Phi ? I have, and having owned dozens of boats in my life and having spent every summer on the water, I must say that I was extremely impressed with the skill and competency which I saw the speedboat cruise-captain and crew exercise. Same for the other 20 or so boats when they reversed (as this one was doing) to moor at Phi Phi.
Best wishes to the Chinese tourist (hope she learns some patience from this).
And best wishes to Capt. Chatchai who was charged due to her stupidity.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I thought there would be stewards on board to direct passengers and ensure they follow the correct way on and off .

When I took the speedboat cruise to Phi Phi, there were 2 or 3 stewards to assist the captain. They were very serious about their duties. Perhaps they were in the bow dropping anchor at this point and all crew failed to anticipate the stupidity of a tourist who would jump into the path of a rotating propeller. How do you say "dahh" in Chinese?

Picture here of how the speed boats reverse into the beach (Same cruise but I believe this pic was taken at Maya Bay)

IMG_3498.JPG

11 minutes ago, neeray said:

She was getting off the back of the boat to snorkel while the captain was reversing the boat to moor. She suffered severe wounds to both legs

imagine it was a bus and you have people on the bus responsible for passengers - would they let someone off the bus while it was still moving ?  no they wouldn't, and if the story reported is accurate (which I doubt) - as soon as someone went in the water the engines should have been shut down immediately 

that is of course if you trust that Thai media are allowed to report what happened accurately - they say what they are told to say on no uncertain terms

On 12/1/2018 at 11:51 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Good luck to her and could have easily done a Kirsty MacColl.   

I just read about the Kirsty MacColl incident, it has a lot in common with incidents involving the wealthy in Thailand.

59 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Should that really be necessary?

Yes it definitely should, more often than not the Chinese passengers have zero awareness when it comes to boat and water safety, the safest bet is to never assume they all have common sense.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

imagine it was a bus and you have people on the bus responsible for passengers - would they let someone off the bus while it was still moving ?  no they wouldn't, and if the story reported is accurate (which I doubt) - as soon as someone went in the water the engines should have been shut down immediately 

that is of course if you trust that Thai media are allowed to report what happened accurately - they say what they are told to say on no uncertain terms

1) If you read the full story, you would realize that according to the reporting, the engines were shut off immediately when the Captain was alerted.

2) Comments appear regularly on TVF about how unruly Chinese tour groups can be. That was quite possibly the case here.

I stand by my position.

13 minutes ago, smedly said:

I’m sure engines were shut down ,but too late to prevent the injury to the person already in the water! Now how to explain why she didn,t wait another 10 seconds,I,m sure it is a “simple” answer.

• Thanks 1