BANGKOK 10 December 2018 15:46
Robbie63

Getting Married today in Bangkok

Well this has been an experience the last few days. If you want to get married you have to go to Bang Rak no other place will do the Marriage. We had originally planned to go to Bang Rak and the wifey got some information needed translator and some other things. I looked on Thai Visa and saw a post about Thong lo and we decided to go there. My papers were in order but they claimed they had to contact my embassy USA could take up to 30 days. Back to Thai Visa and Ratchterwi came up so we went there today they no longer do any marriages at all. They said you have to go to Bang Rak so we did they checked my papers everything okay can come back now Dec 25 earliest opening done booked it. So if anyone is in my boat that is what you have to do.

• Like 1

things have changed when i married we went to the office and all sorted in an hour, no appointments required

Edited by steve187

I had my ball and chain fitted at the local amphur with minimum fuss.....but that was 25 yrs ago.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

things have changed when i married we went to the office and all sorted in an hour, no appointments required

True, Thai son got married at Phaya Thai local office about 10 years back, he called in advance to check what documents, no appointment just walked in, walked out all done about 30 m later.

Two years on, son and wife went back to same office for divorce, initially the officer tried to tell my son he had to give a large settlement (e.g. a house and big cash - note: the amphur officer noticed that his family name was western and commented about 'farang big money'). Son said just a moment and called his buddy a practicing lawyer. lawyer spoke to amphur lady (on speaker phone) and first asked her 'have you ever studies the Thai law re divorce? Embarrassed 'no', then lawyer informed her there is no law whatever about compulsory settlements. Amphur lady immediately changed the subject and completed the divorce certificate. All done, walked out, total time 30 minutes. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 2

We tied the knot at Amphur Pra Kanong 15 years ago. Very straightforward and no queues, but things have probably changed since then.

Isn't the name Bang Rak supposed to be lucky?

Edited by roquefort

2 minutes ago, roquefort said:

We tied the knot at Amphur Pra Kanong 15 years ago. Very straightforward and no queues, but things have probably changed since then.

Isn't the name Bang Rak supposed to be lucky?

Yes that's my understanding, the Bang Rak amphur office is considered to be a lucky place to get married.

Note, the quick translation of 'bang rak' is 'district of love'.

Edited by scorecard

Got married in Din Deang office last October. Absolutely no problems. Made an appointment a couple of days in advance, first one in the queue.
A senior civil servant used to occasion as a training opportunity for a junior colleague, so it took a bit longer than I'd anticipated but no big deal.

I went to Banglamung 30 September, they said they had to send details to BKK, I am still waiting for a reply and my Thai Visa runs out this week

1 hour ago, Robbie63 said:

Thanks for all your comments

I got married in the British Embassy 31 years ago. After the paperwork was issued we went to the end of the road for translation into Thai then the district office for the Thai documents. Done and dusted in just a few hours. I'm getting used to it😉

12 years ago it was like going to the Post Office ! Just went to the local Amphur, showed minimal paperwork, done in around 30 minutes, no waiting, no fuss, and no ceremony.

Painless and the best move I ever made, and yes 12 years on and still feel I was right and made a good decision.😁

• Like 1