BANGKOK 10 December 2018 15:59
Hal65

Why is this air con unit so cheap?

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well the "humidity ting" is interesting 😁 but the only way to easily know the difference in humidity is with a meter, though after a while I have found it easier to recognise differences of over 20%.

You may not have dropped the humidity by very much. Just by having the dry setting on fo an hour or 2 may not make enough difference to notice, but start  exercising in a lower humidity with a fan and you will see the benefits very easily.

Exercising, such language deserves a Holiday.!!.. Left it on dry for days not hours, then Fan, Dry, Cool n Auto. Sorry but to me its as much use as the Economy gizmoes on the Cars. Hardly worth mentioning or having, but within advertising regs  i suppose.I do enjoy listening to new Inverter Owners B/S over a Beer Sunday Lunchtime though.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:31 AM, Hal65 said:

Is Mitsui Chofu a low quality brand?

Is it part of the Mitsui keiretsu?  I can't imagine they'd take kindly to someone using their brand name.

I had a Mitsui shortwave radio which accompanied me around Africa for over 10 years, worked fine.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:02 PM, Pedrogaz said:

Do you have any data to support this? I originally bought 5 a/c units with inverters at a significant extra cost over ordinary models. I have since bought a fourth 5 non inverter models.....I must say that my electricity bill has not risen at all with the new units.

We replaced one 2.5HP non inverter a/c with a Chinese GREE inverter and have seen about a 1/3 reduction in electricity cost year-on-year with no significant change in use. Silent, and does what it's supposed to do.  Wouldn't pay the extra again for Korean products.

Wouldn't consider buying a non inverter air con except for in a rarely used guest room, or for very slight use. 

One important factor, especially for Thailand installations, is the "ramping up" of the compressor during startup.

This is has substantial reduction in the "voltage drop" factor normally associated  with the standard compressor.

As probably 90% or more of Thailand has insufficient mains sizing, or are running on undersize aluminium conductors, it becomes an important consideration.

20 hours ago, STMx said:

Look at the warranty.

I've taken a chance with Midea.

Look good, 5 yr warranty all parts 7 yr compressor.

Looks good, works quietly.

Cheap.

Big Chinese company which spends a lot on R and D.

Can I go wrong.