Technical Difficulties Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 December 2018 10:22
davhend25

Income stated on affidavit I am getting next week

I may go ahead and get an income affidavit from the U.S. embassy while still available this month, although I'm still not decided this is a worthwhile endeavor. My current extension runs through early June 2019. 

My question/concern revolves around the amount of income that I state on the affidavit. U.S. Social Security pension checks will be increasing in January 2019. I just got my notice online of my personal increase for my January 3rd SSA direct deposit in my U.S. bank. 

So should my affidavit state my current monthly income (I'm swearing to it) or should it state my 2019 (effective Jan. 3, 2019) income which will be a slightly higher amount. 

Since I've already received my last deposit from Soc. Sec. for 2018, and I have a dated letter from SSA stating the exact amount of my new deposit on Jan 3, 2019, I think it would be okay to use the new amount on the income affidavit.

What do those on the forum think about this.

Thanks,

DH

Apparently Thai immigration wants next years of income verification, that's why some embassies refuse to make such letter because they cannot verify future income.

47 minutes ago, davhend25 said:

Since I've already received my last deposit from Soc. Sec. for 2018, and I have a dated letter from SSA stating the exact amount of my new deposit on Jan 3, 2019, I think it would be okay to use the new amount on the income affidavit.

The new amount from January is the correct figure to use.

5 hours ago, davhend25 said:

I may go ahead and get an income affidavit from the U.S. embassy while still available this month, although I'm still not decided this is a worthwhile endeavor. My current extension runs through early June 2019. 

Worth getting one given the current uncertainty, and the fact that your extension expiry month dovetails with the six month validity on the income letter, taking your extension through to June 2020.

Income for a January payment would start in December - in my case for CSRS it starts on December 1, 2018 so the new cola amount should be listed as your current income for statement issued this month.  

Your intention of getting an affidavit from US Embassy is a waste of time, because as of January 2019 Immigration will not accept it as proof of income. I have been to Immigration recently and they told me the only thing they will accept is a proof of income in a Thai Bank Account.

I am married to a Thai and I need to show at least 40,000 bht a month. I just renewed my Visa for one year and all I showed was three months of deposits in my Thai Account. The US affidavit that I just got I included it with my paper work. They pulled it out and gave it back to me. They said they don't need. I wasted 50.00 that I paid for that Notary. Don't waste your time. They don't want to see your social security or your pension paper work, just copies of your Thai Bank Account deposits. I gave three months but all they wanted was a copy of the front page of the bank book and the last page of deposits. They figure the rest. Hope this helps. Expect a visit to your address

where you are staying, as they did that to me. Hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Could anyone tell me why a 'married to Thai person' only has to show 40k income but a single person has to show 65K? Same with the 800k and 400k deposit. Can two people live more cheaply than one? 

1 hour ago, laidback said:

Your intention of getting an affidavit from US Embassy is a waste of time, because as of January 2019 Immigration will not accept it as proof of income. I have been to Immigration recently and they told me the only thing they will accept is a proof of income in a Thai Bank Account.

I am married to a Thai and I need to show at least 40,000 bht a month. I just renewed my Visa for one year and all I showed was three months of deposits in my Thai Account. The US affidavit that I just got I included it with my paper work. They pulled it out and gave it back to me. They said they don't need. I wasted 50.00 that I paid for that Notary. Don't waste your time. They don't want to see your social security or your pension paper work, just copies of your Thai Bank Account deposits. I gave three months but all they wanted was a copy of the front page of the bank book and the last page of deposits. They figure the rest. Hope this helps. Expect a visit to your address

where you are staying, as they did that to me. Hope this helps.

Gotta agree with laidback, renewed my ext of stay at Jomtien immi last month, arrived with stat dec from Oz embassy, young lady said not enough need to show funds in bank account,she said don't waste money next year, we'll only accept money in Thai bank account. 

10 hours ago, davhend25 said:

rrent extension runs through early June 2019. 

My question/concern revolves around the amount of income that I state on the affidavit. U.S. Social Security pension checks will be increasing in January 2019. I just got my notice online of my personal increase for my January 3rd SSA direct deposit in my U.S. bank. 

So should my affidavit state my current monthly income (I'm swearing to it) or should it state my 2019 (effective Jan. 3, 2019) income which will be a slightly higher amount. 

Thanks,

DH

i am in the same positioon and dates. I fully expect to get the Embassy Letter and I fully expect it will be accepted 6 months after the issue date as per info I received direct from the Us Embassy when I asked them and which has been stated by the BE and the fact sheet put out by the  US Embassy.

As far as Income- I am stating the amount I will be getting in 2019 from Social Security and the Military pension as the amount I  put on the Embassy Letter will match the same amount on my proof from the Social Security Department and the Veterans Administration.  Thai Immigration may ask for this as either primary or backup proof.

6 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

otta agree with laidback, renewed my ext of stay at Jomtien immi last month, arrived with stat dec from Oz embassy, young lady said not enough need to show funds in bank account,she said don't waste money next year, we'll only accept money in Thai bank account. 

What added info did you show that allowed your extension?  

@Laidback:: What Imm office was this? Clearly stated on US website that the affidavit is to be "respected" by Thai Imm for 6 months from issue. Doesn't surprise me that the officer you happened to get may have used personal rules. Did you question, diplomatically, at all ? I am still going to secure the letter as I have done for many years. BTW, my Imm is Korat and always been OK with service even when the place is packed. I do myself, retirement, docs required according to Thai website, no agent. 

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Because it is assumed that the Thai wife could work, have a business and etc to help support the family.

it still does not add up... 1 retired person = 800,000, married + wife = 400,000 + 400,000 = 400,000 per person. I suppose the reason is retired people are older and as such prone to more serious health problems and the bank deposit can be used in case of emergency. Actually, it can save your life if you live alone. I had a friend who recently passed away because kept his money abroad and was in coma after an accident = noone could help him to pay for private hospital = died in goverment hospital in a room with no aircon, etc., they basically disconnected him after some time as noone was willing to pay.