BANGKOK 16 January 2019 09:04
NCC1701A

My USA Drivers License Has Expired No Bank Account

Posted (edited)

My USA  drivers license has expired and now I need to open a new bank account in the USA online.

Banks use your drivers license as proof of your physical address which I no longer have.

Anyone open a bank account without a valid drivers license?

Edited by NCC1701A

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes you can.  I opened a bank account with CapOne this year....used my US passport as my US drivers license had also expired.  Capone accepts a US passport, US drivers license/State ID, and/or Military ID as account opening ID.  Probably some other IDs are acceptable but the ones mentioned above were identified upfront during the application process

OK! I'm off to cap one. Thanks.

Edited by NCC1701A

I've had various U.S. banks say and post on their websites that they accept either a passport or a DL (or other similar IDs) as a primary ID when opening a new account. And on those few instances where I actually tried to use my passport instead of my DL for that purpose, those banks ended up wanting to see my DL anyway.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

You will need to upload a copy of the ID

did you take a photo with your camera of use a document scanner?

"A CapOne human (CSR) cannot approve whatever document you upload....only their computer can approved it."

I had precisely this very frustrating experience recently, though not with a bank. You'd think CS could help, but no. They can't even tell you what the probem is, just keep repeating that you have to submit a clear photo. So try Photoshop, turning the contrast up high and using a sharpening filter. Make sure you input your name precisely as it appears on your passport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, taxout said:

"A CapOne human (CSR) cannot approve whatever document you upload....only their computer can approved it."

I had precisely this very frustrating experience recently, though not with a bank. You'd think CS could help, but no. They can't even tell you what the probem is, just keep repeating that you have to submit a clear photo. So try Photoshop, turning the contrast up high and using a sharpening filter. Make sure you input your name precisely as it appears on your passport.

For this scan CapOne sends you a weblink via email during the application process.  You click that link and it fires up a webapp that takes the scan/picture and interfaces with the CapOne computer....gives you the thumbs up or down.

You can not upload a scan you make in a separate program like Photoshop probably because with Photoshop a person could alter the scan/photo.  So, only the weblink/app CapOne emails you can be used...and it gives you three tries to get your scan approved by the CapOne computer then that weblink/app won't work.  But if the first three tries fail you can call CapOne, explain the problem and they'll send you another weblink for three more tries. 

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 6:52 PM, Pib said:

Yes you can.  I opened a bank account with CapOne this year....used my US passport as my US drivers license had also expired.  Capone accepts a US passport, US drivers license/State ID, and/or Military ID as account opening ID.  Probably some other IDs are acceptable but the ones mentioned above were identified upfront during the application process

what did you use as a address?

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

what did you use as a address?

I used my military (retired) APO address here in Thailand...ditto for my Capone credit cards.  CapOne accepts APO/FPO addresses just like actually having a "physical" address in the 50 states.   CapOne is military friendly (retired and active). Most banks will not accept an APO address for the physical address; will only accept it as a mailing address.  USAA also accepts APO addresses as a physical address.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

I used my military (retired) APO address here in Thailand...ditto for my Capone credit cards.  CapOne accepts APO/FPO addresses just like actually having a "physical" address in the 50 states.   CapOne is military friendly (retired and active). Most banks will not accept an APO address for the physical address; will only accept it as a mailing address.  USAA also accepts APO addresses as a physical address.

OK thanks. my problem is I don't have a physical address in the USA so I can't open an account. 

21 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Psssttt... u wanna buy an address?

how much for Malibu California address?

• Haha 1