Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 08:47
Jingthing

"Jomtien Supertown Walking Street" -- they built it, will you come?

Posted (edited)

IMG_20181230_202555.thumb.jpg.5fb709ff06e45dbf02f229426666f403.jpg

A rebranding attempt has been made at the nightlife (mostly gay bar beers) and restaurant area generally known as Jomtien Complex. It's off Tappraya Road numerous blocks from the beach. The baht buses going to and from Pattaya pass it so most people here know it.

It being Jomtien, there are no go go bars. There area also some nice smaller hotels, massage businesses including the famous blind massage place, and other miscellaneous typical Thai businesses in the area.

Anyway, they put up this sign at an entrance and I've noticed at least one business is adopting the new branding name.

What d'ya think about the new brand? Jomtien Supertown Walking Street

Is it really super? 

Do you buy it as the area's secondary Walking Street?

Demographically, the changes I've noticed include some newer Chinese oriented businesses on the Tappraya exterior of the complex. I wonder if this rebranding is an attempt to present the nightlife/restaurant area as more general and less gay specific (or even to actively push that change). Of course some of the bar beers are not gay already and restaurants are available for everyone.

As far as my opinion, I think this rebranding is pretty good. Jomtien Complex was more of an ambiguous name and hard to differentiate between the nightlife/restaurant area and the condo. The word SUPER is pretty cheesy but not too bad, and Walking Street is an effective local connection. It's mostly a walking around, nightlife, and eating area the same as the "real" Walking Street. If this pushes a demographic change, I think that's OK too as I assume most thriving gay oriented businesses that already exist will continue to do OK while the marginal ones may fade, and maybe it will become even more of a general restaurant area (which to me is a positive). Already in the Complex, scratch that, Jomtien Supertown, there exists what might the best French bakery in Thailand, certainly one the best. 

https://www.facebook.com/odelicejomtien/

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Bakery would have to be a lot better than La Baguette, to get me to step into that den of iniquity.

"....they built it, will you come?" 

What could possibly induce me to go to a street full of gay bars? Or any bars for that matter. If I wanted bars I would surely not be living in Jomtien.

Now if they removed all the bars and filled the street with reasonably priced restaurants serving interesting food, it might be different. But that's probably not going to happen, is it?

The Chinese one is actually pretty good, moderately priced, and it faces Tappraya road so no need to walk into the bar area at all. They make fresh noodles in house. It's adjacent to the sign in the picture.  

No I don't think the idea is for bars to go away there. It's a nightlife area. Also it's not just one street. It's quite a large area but not in a straight line.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The Chinese one is actually pretty good, moderately priced, and it faces Tappraya road so no need to walk into the bar area at all. They make fresh noodles in house. It's adjacent to the sign in the picture.

I know it well as I see it every day. But for me that restaurant is in Thappraya, not the bar street, and it would be all the same to me if it was 200 yards up or down the hill.
So my question about the bar street stands. As long as it is full of bars, why would I go?

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

"....they built it, will you come?"

What could possibly induce me to go to a street full of gay bars? Or any bars for that matter. If I wanted bars I would surely not be living in Jomtien.

Now if they removed all the bars and filled the street with reasonably priced restaurants serving interesting food, it might be different. But that's probably not going to happen, is it?

The complex as been in decline/run down for a long time....the building in the centre (opposite the once excellent Fantasy and Two Donnas bars ) looks like it could fall down at anytime....the only "attractions" keeping the place going are the gay bars/massage places :whistling:

What is the common theme of the big three nightlife areas in Bangkok? It's that they're kind of sealed off to an extent, densely packed and with elements of sleaziness and "danger". They're also brash, loud, gaudy and outrageous. Pattaya's Walking Street is pretty much the same. Now let's see Jomtien Complex replicate all that and it might be in with a chance - otherwise as it stands, it's too plain and sterile an environment. It is seen as catering to the gay crowd almost exclusively, and that will need a radical change. Anyway, does Jomtien really need such an area when others have tried and failed and Pattaya is so close?

I know it well as I see it every day. But for me that restaurant is in Thappraya, not the bar street, and it would be all the same to me if it was 200 yards up or down the hill.
So my question about the bar street stands. As long as it is full of bars, why would I go?
I can't speak for you but it's your loss not checking out that amazing French bakery. They close at 7 so you could go in the day just one block in from Tinnies Aussie pies.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I can't speak for you but it's your loss not checking out that amazing French bakery. They close at 7 so you could go in the day just one block in from Tinnies Aussie pies.

I know the French bakery also, though I find their prices to be rather silly. In fact I know several food businesses in that area and have spent money in them on occasions, but mostly either during the daytime or well before the nocturnal activities start up. After about 7pm I would rather go somewhere else.

The complex as been in decline/run down for a long time....the building in the centre (opposite the once excellent Fantasy and Two Donnas bars ) looks like it could fall down at anytime....the only "attractions" keeping the place going are the gay bars/massage places :whistling:
I think that's not a fair characterization of the area. There are strong and weak businesses there. The place continues to have potential.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I think that's not a fair characterization of the area. There are strong and weak businesses there. The place continues to have potential.

That "potential" has been the hope for the past ten years that I know of.............:whistling:

Im in no way homophobic but on the one occasion I walked down there I felt rather intimidated being the handsome guy I am, so definitely wouldnt go unless it was a total remodel of the businesses

Up to you. I don't like the walking down the gauntlet effect either gay or straight. But it's a big area and you should try the bakery. Not much of a gauntlet there walking from Tinnies in the daytime and again they close at 7 pm. I think another member has the false impression its only the one street near the sign. No. It's the entire large multi street area known till now anyway as Jomtien Complex.  The French bakery quite far away from the entrance sign is branding now as being in Supertown if you don't believe me.

Whether you're homophobic or not it is a fact that some people indeed do avoid the area due to homophobia. That's just the way it is and not likely to change. On the other hand some non gay people may be attracted there out of curiosity. It's definitely not only gay people enjoying many of the businesses there and clearly everyone is welcome with your wallets.

• Like 1