BANGKOK 16 January 2019 08:49
ThaiSauce

Chiang Mai check stops

25 minutes ago, dcnx said:

But it doesn’t make the road safer. Day time stops are not looking for drunk drivers. Only some stops check insurance, most don’t. All check helmets, most will check for a license. 

It is a useless cash grab, nothing more. If it was improving road safety I’d also support it.

Not even a tiny little bit ?

regards Worgeordie

I dont mind the checkpoints, the adrenaline and fun of successfully running them or narrowly avoiding them improves my mood

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, StevieAus said:

The sad people are the ones who cannot see the benefit of giving up your own time to help your fellow mankind, and they do not experience the reward and satisfaction it brings.

Since living in Thailand I have done volunteer work locally including growing and planting trees along the local roads planting gardens at the local temple etc etc.

I get a lot of waves, smiles and thumbs up from the locals which is a good enough reward.

For the knockers no I don’t have a work permit I told the local Immigration office years ago what I was doing and they said don’t worry.

Many congratulations, and like yourself I do not have a work permit. Officialdom was "officially" waived when I became a volunteer for the Tourist Police.

18 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

I dont mind the checkpoints, the adrenaline and fun of successfully running them or narrowly avoiding them improves my mood

In addition, they are eye-candy for female riders with their tight uniforms.

Edited by EricTh

On 1/10/2019 at 8:06 PM, jonwilly said:

"What a sad life for these people that could never be a police officer in their own country so they come here in hopes of acceptance.. "

I understand that he was quite a senior officer in Australia before coming to live here, he wants to help the the Frangs here if and when they have problems with local law.

Do some checking on You Tube, there are vids on frangs assisting tourist police.

john

That is my understanding as well. 

On 1/10/2019 at 5:47 PM, lust said:

What a sad life for these people that could never be a police officer in their own country so they come here in hopes of acceptance.. 

Perhaps he's getting a 'cut'....??

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:44 PM, dcnx said:

1) To tell someone they think like a Thai is perhaps one of the most offensive things you can say.

2) It wouldn’t be hard to do. Just think of the most common sense reaction in any situation and do the exact opposite, then try to find a way to cheat someone during the process. 

Funniest post I’ve seen for a long time 🙂

3 minutes ago, sharktooth said:

Funniest post I’ve seen for a long time 🙂

Be twice as funny to see that Thai react to reading it! 

That would be fine if they are pulling random ppl over and checking for everything but they are just pulling foreigners and strickly for a IDP. That is where the easiest access to cash on these checkpoints is. Nothing to do with safety.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not true.

Almost every time they stopped me there're one or more locals being fined, and not only for license but for helmet and taxes too.

Even in the "farang magnet" checkpoint at Thapae they pulled a helmetless Thai guy riding just next to me while the cop said to me "go, go".

So not. They're not just pulling farangs nor only for IDP.

4 hours ago, aremesal said:

Not true.

Almost every time they stopped me there're one or more locals being fined, and not only for license but for helmet and taxes too.

Even in the "farang magnet" checkpoint at Thapae they pulled a helmetless Thai guy riding just next to me while the cop said to me "go, go".

So not. They're not just pulling farangs nor only for IDP.

I'm afraid that you will never convince some people that these check points catch plenty of Thais, too. But the foreign tourists are more visible, and around the moat, there are plenty of them. It IS true that they are catching lots of foreign tourists who do not have an IDP or Thai license, as well as catching everyone, Thai and foreign, for not having a helmet. Whether this improves road safety is doubtful, and certainly we'd (drivers and passengers alike) be better served with mobile police stopping speeders, illegal lane changers, traffic-light jumpers, and most of all, the Red Trucks making random stops and starts with no regard for the traffic around them, but this isn't going to happen any time soon.  But if a tourist produces an IDP along with his/her home license, is wearing a helmet, and the bike is registered, they are sent on their way without a problem. No 'scam' going on. The only ones paying are the ones in violation of Thai law.

• Like 1