Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 08:45
NCC1701A

Best Bank to Put My Money Into Outside the USA.

I am really getting tired of the USA banks shutting my accounts down or allowing me to open new accounts because I don't have a physical address and a valid Drivers License or State ID card in the USA anymore.

Is there a Bank somewhere on this planet that is safe as a big American Bank with something like FDIC insurance where I can open a account on line without living in that country?

Thanks in advance.   

Edited by NCC1701A

You still have plenty of choices:

* In Thailand (if you live here) = onshore banking (onshore banking = a bank that is located in your country of residence).

or

* Somewhere else = offshore banking (offshore banking = a bank located in a foreign jurisdiction that has obtained offshore banking legislation license).

Onshore / Offshore Banks: Citi, HSBC, Standard Chartered, to name a few.

PM me if you need more specific info / help

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Is there a Bank somewhere on this planet that is safe as a big American Bank with something like FDIC insurance where I can open a account on line without living in that country?

In what currency and for what amount?

Many countries offer deposit protection up to a certain sum, but you also need to ask whether the guarantees are really backed by anything or are just hot air.

52 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Very few regular cash deposits of an nominal amounts were lost by customers.

"Very few" is far more than I would be happy with.

• Like 1

ok. please lets not go in this direction about the safety of USA banks.

i am taking about cash in a savings account.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am taking about cash in a savings account.

Still waiting to hear in which currency and in what amount. Without knowing that is is impossible to give any valid advice.

And do you want a government guarantee or just one that looks good on paper but isnt really backed by anything?

I would trust a jam tin account buried in the garden more than I would trust any banks these days!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There are many leading banks have branches in Channel Islands and/or the Isle of Man. I have accounts in both locations myself which were opened without any difficulty (UK national). Deposit protection is GBP 50,000 per depositor per bank in each location.

• Thanks 2

Was in the same situation as you, no longer a physical address in the USA banks were giving me the turn around. Started banking with Macau biggest bank BNU but sometimes had to travel there and it was not practical, thus decided to visit Singapore and made the mistake of using a US bank (Citi) after 1 years problems started, went there and met with DBS treasures people, great service, secure deposits, great rates, easy to fly there, overall extremely happy, if you need a contact there PM me and will assist and provide additional details. I did try HSBC offshore as well but had bad or very bad experience with them in Macau, thus not recommending

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Still waiting to hear in which currency and in what amount. Without knowing that is is impossible to give any valid advice.

And do you want a government guarantee or just one that looks good on paper but isnt really backed by anything?

sorry. US dollars. $150,000

Singapore: 1st choice-UOB, 2nd choice-DBS, 3rd-HSBC.  You need to go there to open the account, but that's it.

I know the online thing is the now thing or so I've heard, but I'm not that trusting.

• Thanks 1

I can accommodate you. I have a couple of CDN accounts with very little in them. Lots of empty space available.

• Haha 2