Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 16:46
webfact

Election no later than March, Wissanu assures

4 minutes ago, bannork said:
12 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite, in any other country it would have been seen as using a bit of grey matter to try and avoid a clash between government upheaval and the coronation.

You do know why they can't announce the election date, don't you?

Not a brain between them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Not a brain between them?

Not a brain between several of the posters here I'm afraid.

Edited by bannork

Time the EU and US put the financial and political screws on for them repeatedly promising, but never delivering.

• Like 1

This is reminding me of a little boy that had a wolf problem. The Thais are starting to act and look like they are in a pressure cooker.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, Enki said:

Do you live in the same Thailand, I do?

Thailand is probably the only land in the world where the higher classes actually do care for the people. However people are slow to accept/react. The village I live, a huge deal of the farmers have a loan to develop their land and change it to less water consuming, more water retaining - by King Rama IX himself. In what other country of the world is the king educated enough to transform the landscape into a sustainable - clima change aware - agriculture? No idea what you are talking about regarding the tourist industry ...  

Well, when you are speaking of Bhumipol, you are talking about a man that was so exceptional and did alot for his people. He did really care. A royal like this man comes along once in a century or two, and Thailand was incredibly blessed to have him as their king. He was a great example. But, how do you equate him with the upper class? What has the upper class done for the average Thai lately? Besides Boonchai Bencharongkul, I do not know of any other super rich, hi-so, or elite who really looks after the masses. or has made much of an impact on Thai culture. At least Boonchai used his own money to buy the land for, and build MOCA, which is the most impressive fine art museum in the nation. He did it because the government would not do it, and he felt it needed to be done. That makes him a great man, in my book. If you know of any others, please enlighten us. 

As far as the tourism industry, get out more, and talk to people. It is in tatters right now. 

Boonchai's first passion was art, but he embarked on a 35-year detour in 1977 when his father called him back to Thailand to help with the family business. Meanwhile, he became rich, and that certainly came in handy in fulfilling his vision for a world-class museum. He spent $30 million on the land and construction, and tens of millions more on the art. MOCA, as it's called, opened in 2012 near the airport, inside a giant white cube. With six stories filled with 856 works, it's one of the biggest contemporary art museums in Asia. "He's been around the Thai art scene a long time, collecting, being quite involved," says Andrew J. West, a Bangkok art critic and author. "MOCA is fantastic. The great thing about a private museum like this is that he had the money and made sure the quality is there."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesasia/2015/06/24/artistic-expression/#74e0e00e1238

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 10:41 AM, bannork said:

Not a brain between several of the posters here I'm afraid.

a tad unfair

maybe they didn't understand your original statement

41 minutes ago, AGareth2 said:

a tad unfair

maybe they didn't understand your original statement

True, but we cannot be explicit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Well, when you are speaking of Bhumipol, you are talking about a man that was so exceptional and did alot for his people. He did really care. A royal like this man comes along once in a century or two, and Thailand was incredibly blessed to have him as their king. He was a great example. But, how do you equate him with the upper class? What has the upper class done for the average Thai lately? Besides Boonchai Bencharongkul, I do not know of any other super rich, hi-so, or elite who really looks after the masses. or has made much of an impact on Thai culture. At least Boonchai used his own money to buy the land for, and build MOCA, which is the most impressive fine art museum in the nation. He did it because the government would not do it, and he felt it needed to be done. That makes him a great man, in my book. If you know of any others, please enlighten us. 

As far as the tourism industry, get out more, and talk to people. It is in tatters right now. 

Boonchai's first passion was art, but he embarked on a 35-year detour in 1977 when his father called him back to Thailand to help with the family business. Meanwhile, he became rich, and that certainly came in handy in fulfilling his vision for a world-class museum. He spent $30 million on the land and construction, and tens of millions more on the art. MOCA, as it's called, opened in 2012 near the airport, inside a giant white cube. With six stories filled with 856 works, it's one of the biggest contemporary art museums in Asia. "He's been around the Thai art scene a long time, collecting, being quite involved," says Andrew J. West, a Bangkok art critic and author. "MOCA is fantastic. The great thing about a private museum like this is that he had the money and made sure the quality is there."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbesasia/2015/06/24/artistic-expression/#74e0e00e1238

Then we differ. In my view, he was a totem which allowed the landed gentry to pretend a divine oversight of this afflicted land (assisted by the well-documented activities of the CIA), and a focus of devotion which would create a huge under-class in Thailand in perpetuity.

I both respects, it was very successful but dependent on Thailand not moving on. In particular, the major requirement for success was a numerous, uneducated and unintelligent, compliant peasantry, hence the deliberate keeping of the populace undeveloped and largely un-exposed to the world outside of Thailand .A largely agrarian population to generate the wealth that the landed gentry would generate (and donate richly to the big guy for çoncessions') IMHO, Thaksin put an end to that (though he was a chancer and thoroughly dishonest, as much so as the amartya which refused to allow a nouveau-riche upstart to join their privileged ranks). The person you mentioned merely did what they told him to do. But the followers of Thaksin, I am assured, are still followers of Thaksin, and that is why Chanocha is looking to postpone the election (for rather longer than the 1 month he has run up the flagpole). Prediction is largely a fool's game, and Chanocha has already moved to create a supernatural presence with his ridiculous claim that he prevented the Pabuk storm from creating more havoc in the South of Thailand by praying to the archangel of Thailand. Notwithstanding, I strongly suspect we will see an effort to prevent any election for at least a 12-month period of celebration for the events scheduled for May while he finds other pretexts to continue building that 'supernatural' presence.

I guess we'll see.

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1