Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 17 January 2019 10:40
HSMAN

Police rejecting tea money!

11 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Been stopped many times but the only time I was asked for money was at a toll.
The cop stood in front of the car as I paid my toll and claimed I had changed lanes from the Easy pass lane .
Actually I had as I found myself to be in the wrong lane and changed quickly probably running over a little of the blue road markings.
He asked for 1000 baht, when I showed that I wasn’t gonna conform his tone changed and he barked “ 1000 baht here or police station “.
I offered 500 but he was having none of it !! so 1000 baht it was !

God forbid you hit the blue road markings! He may have saved someone that day by fining you for committing such a grievous offence.

God forbid you hit the blue road markings! He may have saved someone that day by fining you for committing such a grievous offence.

Yup, I have to agree !! his time would have been better spent on matters of safety ( people in back of pick ups, many children not strapped in , unroadworthy vehicles etc ) but those examples do not guarantee a crisp 1000 baht note in the back pocket whereas a foreigner driving a ( relatively) new car almost certainly does !!

Of course I could have taken my chances at the police station and no doubt paid a fine ( possibly 500 baht ? ) but also wasted a lot of time , something I wasn’t prepared to do .

On 1/11/2019 at 6:56 PM, balo said:

Most of the cops are actually good guys unlike the stories you hear on expat forums. 

I was stopped for not wearing a seat belt in CM in 2017 and I had to pay the fine down at the police station, when I showed him a 200 baht note he turned down the offer and said "no no , go station". 

He probably knew he'd have trouble passing a 200 baht note on, no matter how real it might have looked!