Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 17:18
kruangfaifar

Thailand Social Security for Expats

In preparing for my impending redundancy I have been trying to find out what my options are for continuing to make Thailand SS payments on a voluntary basis after finishing work because the hospitals are pretty good and expat medical insurance is not cheap. I have found that  clear information on this matter is not so easy to find. However I managed to find two very clear sources of info that I thought I would share so others wouldn't have to spend hours on Google. The first is the reply that I received from the Thailand Elite Organisation who advised as follows:

|"If you had paid social security contribution for a period of not less than twelve months and wish to continually be insured person, you shall, within six months from the date of your termination, notify your statement to the Social Security Office under Section 39 Voluntary Scheme (Social Security Act B.E. 2533 (1990), Section 39)."

The second is the English Pamphlet prepared by the SSO that I have attached below

Hope this helps

SSO leaflet.pdf

Edited by kruangfaifar
  • Like 2

I went through this just a short time ago. I finished working cancelled my work permit went down to Social Security in Lam chabang to collect my Social Security payout that I have paid in as well as set up paying my contribution to continue my medical insurance. Getting them to approve my money to be sent to my bank account was no problem but they then told me I could not continue my medical without having a yellow book with my name in it. I had never heard of this before and was told by a friend this was not the case. He told me to go to the rayong Social Security office. I did and was in and out within 15 minutes having set up my voluntary deductions to continue my medical insurance at the government Hospital. I have since Been Told that in Lam chabang they are very uncooperative which I found to be very true. I wonder how many people give up not knowing that the information they're getting from them as false. In any event it was a matter of filling out three forms which were all in Thai I had a friend with me that filled them out. You submit them to staff and then the following 15th of the month they started to deduct the 432 Baht from my bank account. 

Edited by hereforgood
  • Like 2