Planned Temporary Forum Outage Friday 18th January from 21:00 Read more... ×
BANGKOK 18 January 2019 15:12
bbi1

Good masks to filter pollution - where to buy?

Does anyone know where to buy a good quality mask to filter pollution for daily use when walking outside and roughly the prices? I think they call it N95 standard or something, to filter out the PM2.5 pollution.

I read some recent articles about the pollution and according to them there is no mask which is able to filter the air because the particles are just too small.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I read some recent articles about the pollution and according to them there is no mask which is able to filter the air because the particles are just too small.

That might be true for the dust masks you see everyone wearing, but there are masks available that will filter particulate matter. They are not something that you would want to be wearing all day in a hot, humid environment. Try a google search for 3M particulate filters, many filter out 99.97% of the particulate matter in the air.

• Like 1

Best to get out of bkk if you can

For awhile

The air forecast is not good for anyone 

Rain or wind etc would help 

1 hour ago, Ks45672 said:

Best to get out of bkk if you can

For awhile

The air forecast is not good for anyone 

Rain or wind etc would help 

You do realise this is the Pattaya forum, right?

Apparently the real problem is PM2.5 type particles. To filter these you need a particular type of mask, labelled N95. Other types are not good enough, apparently.

Lazada have them for around 100B each, and replacement filters cost from around 40B each.

In Pattaya I would try Thai Watsudu and Fascino pharmacies as I have seen some type of face mask in both of them. I dont know if they were the N95 type though.

• Like 1

This is what folks need:

2056122559_2019-01-1412_41_01.jpg.7a45fe422678b8f201e75e27392eb25f.jpg

1219343161_2019-01-1412_42_26.jpg.4991fd82e6171bae856ae6638bfe8ee6.jpg

They're not fun to wear or especially comfortable, especially when it's hot... But anything less than N95 standard isn't going to keep you from breathing the gunk.

Here's some related links:

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.12.1125719cYdbyzI&q=3m 8210 n95&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_normal&sugg=3m 8210 n95_1_1

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?q=3m+9010+n95&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.go.2534367dfPCRo7

This 3M site normally sells them as well, but right now, it's either down or overloaded....

https://www.3mdelivery.com

In Chiangmai 3m N95 mask at pharmacy outside registers Hangdong Lotus. 35 bht. By3 at time, get discount. I keep big supply because during pollution season everyone rums out. Use year around on bike because of autoimmune allergy problems.

39 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Well, maybe I spoke too soon... Now I'm not sure...

In the U.S., the kind of mask you need for PM2.5 pollution is classes as N95 masks, and usually 3M Aura masks meet that.

But yours if a UK version and classed as FFP2, and I'm not clear now on just how that is capable for dealing with PM2.5...  So I take back my prior comment....until I can do a bit more checking...

Here the U.S. govt list of certified N95 masks made by 3M, and your model isn't among them... Not sure if that's because it's a UK variety, or it's not N95 compliant.

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/disp_part/N95list1.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Yep, 3M Auras are very good masks and meet or exceed the N95 standard you want....  I have some purchased from the U.S. as well...  Just make sure you properly fit them on your face for a tight seal, and replace the mask after some period of wear.... Each one is only meant for a limited duration of use....

Because it's often HOT here, I also do try to find models of those kinds of masks that have the built-in so-called exhalation valve in the front, which may make them a bit more comfortable to wear. But those variety also tend to be more expensive....  And the exhale valve doesn't change or improve their filtering capacity...just make them a bit more comfortable, perhaps.

As I said use them for dust prevention in the UK , didn't really know if the particles here would be filtered, I just go into the stores at work and take as many as I want!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app