Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jet Gorgon

Thai Toilet Etiquette

205 posts in this topic

Maybe this is why I've adopted as my Thai name : Mai Pantsrwet

Maybe this is why I've adopted as my Thai name : Mai Pantsrwet

no shit ? :o

I also carried my own soap slivers or wet ones for hand washing.

Actually, I like squat toilets as you don't touch anything, but there can be probs balancing if the wine has been flowing.

Ah, well, that's why I always had fabric bags so everything is washable in case of a Jet land slide.

The first time I used one was in a remote part of East Timor after a bad restaurant meal. Got into the loo - power cut . urgent need for relief - struggled with the shorts - finally - but missed the squat completely - still no light - no water either - can't find anything in the dark - ah! suddenly remembered I did bring the loo paper. but how to get back to my room without being noticed? - I won't go into the rest of this story - but I hate squat toilets. I'm glad to see the pedestal model is now featuring widely in new Thai houses.

Tissue? Don't be soft. What's wrong with a slightly damp arse?

I'm thinking of changing 1 of my 3 toilets in my house from Western style to Thai style - a lot more comfortable, hygenic, and healthy(good if your constipated - squirt right up your **** and wait 20s).

I agree. I've also lived in Asia for years and I much prefer the squat latrine. Western toilets are not designed for cleaning oneself.

Using toilet paper is disgusting. Think about it. If you got shit on any other part of your body, what would you do? Wipe it off with a bit of paper or wash it off?

Using toilet paper is disgusting. Think about it. If you got shit on any other part of your body, what would you do? Wipe it off with a bit of paper or wash it off?

it depends on the oil content.

my solution for the no hook problem is to wrap my belongings (small size) into my shirt, rolling the shirt up to my chin, holding it all in place with the chin. This may sound strange and awkward, but this method is secure, and it is much safer than trying to dangle things off the door latch.

This, Grover, is why monks develop a double chin. :o

what about the toilets without the bum guns? the ones with a tub of water and the round plasic bowl ?

how do those work? I assume you pour it down your lower back, hoping some of it trickles its way down under... unless one is meant to somehow reach under and project it upwards in a splash, risking a slip & possible contamination.

......... the LEFT hand is used to splash water UP to the anus and, if necessary, wash it a bit all from the small plastic bowl, and the remaining water dumped in the toilet.......then some fresh water from the tub in the plastic bowl and a good scrub of the left hand in the plastic bowl, dump the water and you're done. Thais are careful not to contaminate the water in the tub and to not use their right hand. This may not seem terribly sanitary to westerners but most health professionals know that SCRUBBING of the hands is more important than using soap. The upside is that Thais must have the cleanest bums in the world; most that I know are disgusted by the western use of toilet paper.

It would be unsanitary to wash your left hand IN the small cup.

The small cup should only be used to POUR water on the left hand. First for getting it wet so that the anus can be cleaned. Second, to rub the fingers of the left hand together to clean them.

The fingers of the left hand should never go into the small cup because this will contaminate the cup and then contaminate the large water bucket.

sarpesius

Methinks the Thais would double-over in hysterics if they saw us using a squat toilet.

I also take off my pants and undershorts after my first attempt (in Japan) when the poop landed inside my jeans. I also had my wallet fall into the loo once because I wrapped the trouser legs around my neck. I prefer the stuff-them-under-the-shirt routine now.

Fascinating thread. And, a great relief to know that I'm not alone.

what about the toilets without the bum guns? the ones with a tub of water and the round plasic bowl ?

how do those work? I assume you pour it down your lower back, hoping some of it trickles its way down under... unless one is meant to somehow reach under and project it upwards in a splash, risking a slip & possible contamination.

At least the challenge of balancing, cleaning and escaping without slipping, falling and contaminating my clothing etc gives a warm sense of accomplishment.

As I hinted in a previous post, the sprayers are used primarily to wash the fingers of your left hand, just as is the water you place into the little plastic bowl floating in the adjacent larger water urn or container. Just about everything down there is water soluble and washes off in an instant. Another little hint, as a westerner, you probably can not squat down to the same degree as a Thai, so place your feet a little forward of the foot marks usually found on a low rise commode, with only your heel resting on the footmark. And for gosh sakes people, bunch your pants up around your knees. No need to take off your pants and no need to walk back out into public like a silly Farang with a wet behind, despite the great mirth it provides to many.

I have it! Equip all toilets with a baby walker! BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

Well, I've heard of Thais squatting squat-toilet style on top of a western toilet seat! Now that's a pretty precarious position to be in. I could also imagine a toilet seat breaking easily with that much weight on it...

Perhaps instructions should be posted in the bathroom. :o

Instead of taking yr pants off completely

No one takes off their pants completely -surely?

I have it! Equip all toilets with a baby walker! BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

I don't know about Thai's, but I was in Jakarta once in an office building which had instructions on the back of the door for using the western style dunny. I learnt a think or two.

Oh today I went to a toilet at Victoria Station in London and thought I would take a dump. Paid my 20p but couldn't find one loo I would sit my arse on. I cannot belive how filty they were and the water and sewarge of sorts on the floor. I just took a leak and go out of there. For 20p you would expect a clean toilet. I did make it home, thank christ the train wasn't delayed.

BTW, do the Thai have similar problems with western toilets?

Well, I've heard of Thais squatting squat-toilet style on top of a western toilet seat! Now that's a pretty precarious position to be in. I could also imagine a toilet seat breaking easily with that much weight on it...

Let me think.

Average weight of entire Thai v average weight of farang arse ....... need to do some research :o

(P.S. you only need to subtract the weight of the legs :D )