Thailand Forum
dbrenn

Story Of My Thai Citizenship Application

Big Guns    182

Do I still have to do 90 day reporting until I get my ID card? It's not a massive hassle as my employer does it, just wondering.

Arkady    2,515
3 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Woo hoo my name has just been announced in the Royal Gazette. I'm now Thai - British. The next little wait will be for my Thai ID. It's taken 3 years and 1 month.

Congrats.

The time taken was very reasonable, compared to the past, and is a good example of improvements made to the process by the current government.

Arkady    2,515
1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

Do I still have to do 90 day reporting until I get my ID card? It's not a massive hassle as my employer does it, just wondering.

As Newly Minted Thai says, I think you can ignore this now, since you can show a copy of the RG announcement notarised by SB to prove you are Thai, if you get any hassle from Immigration.  

You do, however need to go to immigration with your new documents to return/cancel your PR documents (if you are PR) and have them update your status in their system. It will be the last time you will ever have to set foot in that place...and it will feel fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It's taken 3 years and 1 month.

May I ask if this is from the first visit to SB or from the day you signed the application at SB? (I spent nearly 5 months between both)

aidenai    459

Woo hoo my name has just been announced in the Royal Gazette. I'm now Thai - British. The next little wait will be for my Thai ID. It's taken 3 years and 1 month.

Congratulations!

Big Guns    182
20 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

May I ask if this is from the first visit to SB or from the day you signed the application at SB? (I spent nearly 5 months between both)

I first got the ball rolling by talking to my lawyer in August 2014. I first wanted to apply for PR but she told me I was eligible for citizenship. I think my first visit to SB was September 2014.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Big Guns said:

I first got the ball rolling by talking to my lawyer in August 2014. I first wanted to apply for PR but she told me I was eligible for citizenship. I think my first visit to SB was September 2014.

One more question, may I ask how long it took from the moment you signed the application at SB to the interview at MOI?

Edited by GabbaGabbaHey
typo

Big Guns    182
5 minutes ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

One more question, may I ask how long it took from the moment you signed the application at SB to the interview at MOI?

Yes that was about 2 years as the MOI interview was August 2016

• Thanks 1

Arkady    2,515
2 hours ago, Big Guns said:

Perfect timing right after the coup!

Anyone knows the difference between the letter of intention in the requirements (I prepared it with translation and legalization, before my first visit to SB) and the letter for your embassy that seems to ask for the same (in the set of letters from SB, after the application has been signed)? I'm worried my first document can be used or not -it seems outdated compared to my application date- and if this could be an issue in the subsequent process. Anyone had the same experience? Or do I misunderstand anything?

Arkady    2,515
7 hours ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Anyone knows the difference between the letter of intention in the requirements (I prepared it with translation and legalization, before my first visit to SB) and the letter for your embassy that seems to ask for the same (in the set of letters from SB, after the application has been signed)? I'm worried my first document can be used or not -it seems outdated compared to my application date- and if this could be an issue in the subsequent process. Anyone had the same experience? Or do I misunderstand anything?

I am not sure what they are now sending to embassies but I think in my case, they sent a lengthy explanation of the process in Thai which obviously no embassy official would have the time to even look at.   If your application has already been accepted by SB with the first declaration, there should be no need to do it again.  If you have not yet finalised your application, your declaration should be OK if it is not more than two or three months old.  In this case, you will have to ask SB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Arkady said:

I am not sure what they are now sending to embassies but I think in my case, they sent a lengthy explanation of the process in Thai which obviously no embassy official would have the time to even look at.   If your application has already been accepted by SB with the first declaration, there should be no need to do it again.  If you have not yet finalised your application, your declaration should be OK if it is not more than two or three months old.  In this case, you will have to ask SB.

Thanks Arkady. I' mot sure what is a finalized application and when this happens, because the set of letters (after I signed my application) seems to add new requirements -like the certificate of blank criminal record-, I just wonder why this is not simply part of the original requirements - but I'm fine with the global process. Just in my case the letter of intention is dated March this year, and this means almost 6 months old. I will check with SB what to do with it.

Arkady    2,515
1 hour ago, GabbaGabbaHey said:

Thanks Arkady. I' mot sure what is a finalized application and when this happens, because the set of letters (after I signed my application) seems to add new requirements -like the certificate of blank criminal record-, I just wonder why this is not simply part of the original requirements - but I'm fine with the global process. Just in my case the letter of intention is dated March this year, and this means almost 6 months old. I will check with SB what to do with it.

What I meant was the day you go to the SB office and sign your name in Thai a few times and finger printed.  Normally you have already submitted all documents by then and SB has approved them.  After that they send your file around to various departments like criminal records and narcotics for vetting and you  get the NIA interview.  When that is all done, SB packs up your file and sends it to the MOI with a covering letter for consideration.