Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Westerner

Carrefour - How Do You Pronounce It?

69 posts in this topic

carfoo is the correct thai pronounciation, as dictated by the rules of pronouncing thai script.

are you joking? since when does "thai pronunciation" apply to a french word?

Since it is written in Thai script alongside the French version.

we non-thai readers read the french word, pronounce it the correct french way (if we know french) and care a flying fart how it is pronounced in thai or what rules might apply.

:o

I pronounce it "Care - Four " But all the thais do pronounce it as " Car - Foo "

If I need to say it to a Thai, Ill say " Car four" and they always understand..

carfoo is the correct thai pronounciation, as dictated by the rules of pronouncing thai script.

The only reason Thais would say "carfoo" is because they can't pronounce the 'r' sound.

Carrefour is actually a French word but of course English speaking people don't usually pronounce French words (and places) the French way.

For a Frenchman, it's "karfur", and for English it's "car four".

I am definately NOT English but call it Car -4.....so thats its name ....Car 4...... :o

on the other ...main...en francais ....avec une..... :D

I am definately NOT English but still call it Car -4.....so thats its name ....Car 4...... :o

on the other ...main...en francais ....avec une..... :D

Well with all these issues with just sayin the dam word im off to TESCO or is that LOTUS ? :o:D

(btw yup i know it used to be just lotus before tesco saved its sorry arse and bought it out)

Well with all these issues with just sayin the dam word im off to TESCO or is that LOTUS ? :o:D

(btw yup i know it used to be just lotus before tesco saved its sorry arse and bought it out)

Can you get your facts right?

Definate pronounciation tip :

Kar (a sound as in cat) foorrr (oo sound prolonged)

cheers

onzestan

(si c'est pas français c'est pas bon)

When I lived in Belgium the French speaking Belgians called it CarFour - then agan I might have heard wrongly.

They do say carfoor in Singapore but then Singaporeans have a very stange accent :o

Not when in Singapore.

Here you can hear it, that is maybe better then the whole phonetic spelling...

http://dict.leo.org/lf?2849683

I also think, since it is a French company it should be pronounced in French.

Car four or Karfoer sounds very funny. [Do you remember the joke with the American who asked a stranger to paint his por(s)ch(e)?]

I would think Thai people pronounce it quit ok, it is just the last "r" which is difficult to spell for them.

I have no idea how to say it for thai taxi drivers, but it's a french word, so the pronunciation is

ca-reuh-foor

Exactly.

Sort of like "crap on floor???"

When I lived in Belgium the French speaking Belgians called it CarFour - then agan I might have heard wrongly.

They do say carfoor in Singapore but then Singaporeans have a very stange accent :o

Not when in Singapore.

Well those at work think I am Scottish!!!!

Car four or Karfoer sounds very funny. [Do you remember the joke with the American who asked a stranger to paint his por(s)ch(e)?]

I would think Thai people pronounce it quit ok, it is just the last "r" which is difficult to spell for them.

Well done. Nice voice too :o

cheers

onzestan

Can you get your facts right?

with the risk going off topic...if I remember well, that's the way it was.... :D

cheers

onzestan

That's a classic. Receiving "pronounciation" tips from someone who "definately" cannot spell. :o

Very few people will be able to pronounce this word in the original French, and that includes most English speakers.

Foreign words need to be interpreted locally in a way that local people can get their tongues around it. Carrefour should have considered this when they introduced their company to the world. They know French is a difficult language to pronounce and Carrefour is a good example.

How many people pronounce "Paris" the French way?

I have no idea how to say it for thai taxi drivers, but it's a french word, so the pronunciation is

ca-reuh-foor

Exactly.

Sort of like "crap on floor???"

:o:D:D

cheers

onzestan

That's a classic. Receiving "pronounciation" tips from someone who "definately" cannot spell. :o

well... i know that Onzestan's mother tongue is not english and it is mine neither. but to me it is surprising how often native english speakers use the wrong spelling of "definitely" and "pronunciation" and especially "loser".

Howard Miller says - "Cah-foo" but that is wrong (horribly so)....listen to a Thai person say it, for some reason they tend to pronounce French words really well - or just remember you're an English speaker and say "Crossroads"