Sign in to follow this  
simon43

Why Can't Thai People Understand Me?

Yes, it would normally be something like "kin bin" according to the Thai pronunciation rules, but an alternative and widespread mispronunciation of "l" and "ll" at the end of words is actually "w", as stated.

And of course, is a native English pronunciation so long as it stays [khiw] and doesn't become [khju]!

I am sure you are right, but which English-speaking dialect/area is it? I have never noticed it in native English speech.

All these three you can do with the absence/presence of question particles, and if it is very important for the context to emphasize time or place, you can use an initial time or place adverbial, but in most contexts, it would be unneccessary.

My suggestions:

Did I not speak (Thai) correctly (just then / at that time / yesterday)?

(เมื่อกี๊ / เมื่อตอนนั้น / เมื่อวานนี้) ผมพูดผิดหรือครับ / ผมพูดไม่ถูกหรือครับ

meuakii / meua tawn nan / meuawaan nii phom phuut phit reu khrap / meuakii phom phuut mai thuuk reu khrap

I did not speak Thai correctly.

ผมพูดผิดครับ / ผมพูดไม่ถูกครับ / ผมพูดไม่ชัด

Do I speak Thai well?

ผมพูดไทยได้เก่งไหม

phom phuut thai dai keng mai?

Some Thais, sometimes even the ones who speak decent English, have some difficulty with the reversed word order and its significance in English yes/no questions.

Thanks ms - I'll study your Thai phrases after a good night's sleep and with my dictionaries at hand. Appreciate it very much. :o

Yes, it would normally be something like "kin bin" according to the Thai pronunciation rules, but an alternative and widespread mispronunciation of "l" and "ll" at the end of words is actually "w", as stated.

And of course, is a native English pronunciation so long as it stays [khiw] and doesn't become [khju]!

I am sure you are right, but which English-speaking dialect/area is it? I have never noticed it in native English speech.

Estuarine English (mostly London and its environs, including Essex).

Estuarine English (mostly London and its environs, including Essex).

Thanks for the clarification Richard. In that case, I guess you would have understood what I did not - and maybe it wasn't so funny after all. :o

พมจะพูด..."คนโง"...คํานีัั้้ไดัอย่างไรครับ

ขอบคุณมายครับ

บุญมี

ขอบคุณมายครับ

บุญมี

BoonMee,

What is it you wanna say there? :D

If they are the words I think they should be,then I counted 4 spelling errors. :o

Want me to correct them or let it be? :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard.

ขอบคุณมายครับ

บุญมี

BoonMee,

If they are the words I think they should be,then I counted 4 spelling errors. :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard.

Snowleopard~

Only four? :D

Well, what I was attempting to say was: "พมจะพูด" "how do I say"

"คนโง" - slang term "sucker farang" "คำนีั้" these words ไดัอย่างไรัครบ = dai yang rai krap.

Please correct as necessary! :D

Believe me, my ego can handle the criticism. Especially at my entry-level Thai-writing skill level! :o

ขอบคุณมายครับ

บุญมี

BoonMee,

If they are the words I think they should be,then I counted 4 spelling errors. :D

Cheers,

Snowleopard.

Snowleopard~

Only four? :D

Well, what I was attempting to say was: "พมจะพูด" "how do I say"

"คนโง" - slang term "sucker farang" "คำนีั้" these words ไดัอย่างไรัครบ = dai yang rai krap.

Please correct as necessary! :o

Believe me, my ego can handle the criticism. Especially at my entry-level Thai-writing skill level! :D

The spelling should be...ผมจะพูด คนโง่ คำนี้ ได้อย่างไรครับ :D

Maybe you could fill up some more words and say... :D

ผมอยากจะพูดว่า คนโง่ คำพวกนี้เขียนว่าอย่างไรครับ

Cheers,

Snowleopard.

Snowleopard~

Thanks for the help. What's interesting is when the "jaw jan" is enlarged it looks like "chaw ching"?

Let me get back to you w/more questions!

Cheers :o

บุญมี

Snowleopard~

Thanks for the help.  What's interesting is when the "jaw jan" is enlarged it looks like "chaw ching"?

Cheers :D

บุญมี

Hi BoonMee,

Here are those two letters when they are written on my Thai keyboard... :o

1."chor jaan" จจจจจจจจจ

2."chor ching" ฉฉฉฉฉฉฉฉ

Snowleopard.

Snowleopard~

Thanks for the help.  What's interesting is when the "jaw jan" is enlarged it looks like "chaw ching"?

Cheers :D

บุญมี

Hi BoonMee,

Here are those two letters when they are written on my Thai keyboard... :o

1."chor jaan" จจจจจจจจจ

2."chor ching" ฉฉฉฉฉฉฉฉ

Snowleopard.

Hi Snowleopard,

Think I was confusing "chor jaan" จจจจจ & "chor ching" ฉฉฉฉฉ because...

when the "chor jaan" is enlarged, the top stroke appears to covers the loop on my display. In effect, confusing a newbie such as myself! :D

Until I can get "up to speed" think I'll stick to "riak waa arai"!

เรียกกว่าอะไร

Cheers,

บุญมี

As a native English speaker, I now sympathize more with those who learn it as a second language since it's my opinion, at this stage in my Thai Language studies that spelling/pronounciation is closer in Thai

I used to always tell my students that I felt lucky to be a native speaker of English... I don't think I'd be such a good English student- Kinda the way I was in my required Spanish classes as a kid.. :D

The mistakes many of my students make often relate to improper direct translations using Thai syntax rules(eg, adjective after noun vs English order). I learned to correct a lot of my own mistakes with Thai syntax/grammar/vocab by listening to their English mistakes.

But, as it's always been, the more I learn, the more I realize that I still have a looong way to go :o

I think that in this case just make it obvious that you speak Thai, by just saying a few opening sentences that have nothing to do with what you want -

- Sawatdee krup, Sabai dee mai Krup (even it is a bit too personal for a stranger)

or just

- Kortot Krup

and maybe chat a bit more.

These opening sentences will "tune them in" to the fact that the strange farang in front of them can indeed speak thai and they will be more open to listen to the rest.

and of course... with a big smile :o which is the basis of all thai conversation...