Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
meadish_sweetball

The Tattoo Thread - Western Names In Thai Script

363 posts in this topic

Hi,

I'd like to get the words 'footsteps of life' in thai script vertically tattooed........ can anyone help? :o

I think you didn't get any responses last time because this is a tricky one and it would be helpful to get some more information from you. What do you want to say by "footsteps of life?" A direct translation might sound silly. การก้าวของชีวิต with a little background something much more suitable could be found. Also Thai script really doesn't lend itself to vertical writing. It's a left to right language but unlike English that could still be read nicely vertically the forced position of vowels above, below, to the left or to the right of their consonant restricts vertical writing in Thai.

still exploring words!

Anyone know how to spell Kristy (not kirsty)

Not sure if it can be translated

How about:

คริซตี

Hi,

I'd like to get the words 'footsteps of life' in thai script vertically tattooed........ can anyone help? :o

I think you didn't get any responses last time because this is a tricky one and it would be helpful to get some more information from you. What do you want to say by "footsteps of life?" A direct translation might sound silly. การก้าวของชีวิต with a little background something much more suitable could be found. Also Thai script really doesn't lend itself to vertical writing. It's a left to right language but unlike English that could still be read nicely vertically the forced position of vowels above, below, to the left or to the right of their consonant restricts vertical writing in Thai.

CSS,

Thanks for info. My Grandfather used to always say to me..... 'everything in life will be fine, so long as you follow the footsteps'! The words 'footsteps of life' has stayed with me and is something I've always said to myself too! Thanks for clarifying the vertical part....... wasn't sure if it would work anyway!

Hope this helps and thanks for any help you can give. :D

After all those many (probably too many) words, I would suggest either:

มี่อ๋า ลูซี่

or

เมี้ย ลูซี่

I think both choices would look strange to Thai people's eyes.

Kristy - คริสตี้

'footsteps of life' - ก้าวย่างของชีวิต

Hi... I was wondering if someone could pleaaase translate

'we're just one big family'

for me... there probably isn't a direct translation, but as close as possible would be so great, thanks! :o

ID: 51   Posted (edited)

hi fella's would be greatful if yous could translate my name into thai ...had it done before but when i checked it out with some one else they had spelt it wrong was lucky enough not to have it done wrong ...the closest ive came is conner

this is how my names spelt -connor

thanks in advance :o

Edited by themonk20

Hi, I'm new around here and I'd like to know if someone would be so kind to translate this words for me. I'm getting a tattoo and I don't want to end up with the wrong words.

I protect my family and my family protects me

and also

Beyond time.

Beyond space.

Beyond life.

Thanks in advance.

Oh and just for curiousity, my name: Javier

Hey guys

Firstly I would like to say that this is a fantastic thread and I am sure everyone appreciates you guys taking time out to translate for us.

I will be back in Thailand soon and I am looking to get my name and date of birth tattooed.

Name: Fraser

DOB: 12 12 1968 I would like to see this in thai numerals and thai years not AD

Cheers guys and keep up the good work :o

I would put so:

Connor - โคนเนอร์

Javier - ฮาเวียร์

Fraser - ฟแร็สเซอร์

Jemma - เจ็มมา (or may be เย็มมา to make it "narak")

ID: 56   Posted (edited)

Can anyone translate the Name

Michael

Not for a Tattoo, i am just curious.

Cheers in advance :o

Edited by Merangue

ID: 57   Posted (edited)

How about Richard please?

ริชาร์ด

My name is Richard, and I always spelt it as ริชชาด - For the last dozen years or so> That's also what on myt marriage certificate, so I'm stick with it. As a transliteration, I guess it depends where you put the emphasis and who transliterattes it. This wold be Rich-Chart, which sound right when a Thai says it.

Sanscrit sylables end in sala-I, but not Thai (other than borrowed words from what I understand) so the spelling abobe Ri-Cha(miss the RD) - would be pronounced Richah (the little symbol above the Ror Rua would cancel out the RD at the end).

Edited by wolf5370

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

Can anyone translate the Name

Michael

Not for a Tattoo, i am just curious.

Cheers in advance :o

Thairath transliterate Michael as ไมเคิล when writing about the Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps.

Edited by katana

How about Richard please?

ดิก :o

The English given name "Dick" is more commonly written with a mai dtrii; ดิ๊ก