Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

george

Aviation Department To Probe 12go Air Crash in Phuket

49 posts in this topic

Aviation Department to probe Phuket air crash

BANGKOK: -- A Thai-based committee responsible for investigating the cause of last September's air crash in the southern Thai resort island of Phuket will now begin working after the US government's National Transport Safety Board (NTSB) said it was unable to find causes of the crash because so much of the ill-fated plane were badly burned, a senior Transport Ministry official said Saturday.

Aviation Department director-general Wuthichai Singhamanee said the NTSB recently notified his department saying that it was unable to determine the cause of the accident because parts of the plane were destroyed by fire.

The NTSB had earlier requested the department to help to determine the cause of the accident involving the One-Two-Go aircraft crash at Phuket International Airport which killed 89 of the 130 persons on board.

The accident occurred September 16 when the bidget carrier which left Bangkok for Phuket came down hard on the runway at Phuket airport amid heavy rain and strong crosswinds and skidded into a wooded embankment. The aircraft broke into two sections, caught fire almost immediately and was completely destroyed.

A sub-committee, headed by Mr. Wuthichai and which is assigned to investigate the cause of the tragedy will meet on February 14, he said, adding that the department is well equipped with personnel and equipment.

Mr. Wuthichai said he was confident that the cause of the accident would be known soon because the "black box" which contained vital information of the aircraft's operations prior to the accident is in the possession of the department.

No punishment will be imposed on any agency or personnel after completion of the investigation because the accident was beyond control, he added.

--TNA 2008-02-09

So they don't know the cause of the accident. However "No punishment will be imposed on any agency or personnel after completion of the investigation because the accident was beyond control, he added."

What can one really say.

So, even though the NTSB couldn't work it out the Thais can because they have the Black Box. Hmmm one can only hope the NTSB was able to analyse the Black Box as well.

Although as they said:

No punishment will be imposed on any agency or personnel after completion of the investigation because the accident was beyond control

I can't believe a statement like that was made during an inconclusive investigation. The mind boggles. :o

I dont know what that code business is above

I fixed the quotes for you but you must have hit the code button next to the quote button by accident. :o

I am afraid I don't really understand this article. How can the NTSB determine the cause of the crash if they don't have access to the black box in the first place? Or is K Wutichai saying that the NTSB had the black box but couldn't determine the cause even after analyzing the black box???

Could you please amend the title, I think some people might imagine it's a crash involving Phuket Air? I know I did...

AFAIK the Black Boxes, {FDR & CDR} were sent to the NTSB for analysis. Problems occur when it is not possible to reconcile the data, which should include pilot inputs with the wreckage. Since the plane was left, I seem to recall, by the side of the runway, it is probable that it would be difficult to ascertain causal factors, e.g. impact, fire, subsequent activity, from possible in-flight issues. In crashes where it is possible, wreckage not at the bottom of the sea for example, NTSB will endeavour to reconstruct the airplane looking for tell tales which can indicate and correlate with the recorded pilot inputs to controls. A simple example which we all saw here was the state of the undercarriage which was subject to convenient debate by the authorities here.

Regards

PS Good point raised by Florin, I guessed we were talking about the previous event, not a new one, but others might not realise.

Aviation Department director-general Wuthichai Singhamanee said the NTSB recently notified his department saying that it was unable to determine the cause of the accident because parts of the plane were destroyed by fire.

This is probably just a face-saving announcement to avoid mentioning pilot error. That is a subjective determination that would be left to the Thai investigative team to make.

If they have the "black box" why haven't they analyzed it after 5 months?

Very recently there was a picture of a plane landing in Phuket, Nation or BKK post, and the wreckage was still sitting where it was dumped, at the end of the runway, uncovered, exposed to weather and looters. I'm sure that helped a lot with making the investigation inconclusive. :o

The cause of this accident is quite clear IMO - the decision by the pilot in command to continue the approach into known hazardous weather conditions. For reasons already mentioned, this will probably never be publicly stated.

The factors contributing to the pilot error - company pilot selection, training and scheduling policies, as well as the general inability of copilots everywhere (but espcially in Asian cultures) to question the judgement of the aircraft commander, will continue to pervade the budget airlines in the region. IMO...

If they have the "black box" why haven't they analyzed it after 5 months?

My thought too.

I was under the impression that an initial analysis would be available within days of the crash........

See post 7. From my post in original thread 2007-09-28

... As an aside here, the data itself is not public domain, the US analysts treat it as confidential, and any public release is driven either by the laws of the country in which the accident occurs, or by the policies of the parties.

Regards

BANGKOK: -- A Thai-based committee responsible for investigating the cause of last September's air crash in the southern Thai resort island of Phuket will now begin working after the US government's National Transport Safety Board (NTSB) said it was unable to find causes of the crash because so much of the ill-fated plane were badly burned, a senior Transport Ministry official said Saturday.

The NTSB had earlier requested the department to help to determine the cause of the accident involving the One-Two-Go aircraft crash at Phuket International Airport which killed 89 of the 130 persons on board.

The accident occurred September 16 when the bidget carrier which left Bangkok for Phuket came down hard on the runway at Phuket airport amid heavy rain and strong crosswinds and skidded into a wooded embankment. The aircraft broke into two sections, caught fire almost immediately and was completely destroyed.

A sub-committee, headed by Mr. Wuthichai and which is assigned to investigate the cause of the tragedy will meet on February 14, he said, adding that the department is well equipped with personnel and equipment.

Mr. Wuthichai said he was confident that the cause of the accident would be known soon because the "black box" which contained vital information of the aircraft's operations prior to the accident is in the possession of the department.

No punishment will be imposed on any agency or personnel after completion of the investigation because the accident was beyond control, he added.

--TNA 2008-02-09

this they are only doing now ,better late than never i suppose

--TNA 2008-02-09

I love the smell of white-wash in the morning ! :o

Question for the Aviation department ... would it have helped, if the fire-engines had reached the crash-site inside the international-standard of 90 seconds, rather than over 5 minutes ?

And Another ... Would it have helped, if all & not just half the wind-shear detection-equipment at Phuket Airport, had been in working-order ?