Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Firefan

Car Insurance For Car Older Than 10 Years

Firefan    46

I have a hard time understanding why AIA (that I currently use) will only give 3rd class insurance just because my car, Honda, is a bit older....(more than 10 years). What is the logic behind that? And can Thaivisa-insurance help with getting something closer to a typical 1st class insurance? (could be with deductable or whatever). Cheers!

tonydabbs    4
I have a hard time understanding why AIA (that I currently use) will only give 3rd class insurance just because my car, Honda, is a bit older....(more than 10 years). What is the logic behind that? And can Thaivisa-insurance help with getting something closer to a typical 1st class insurance? (could be with deductable or whatever). Cheers!

That's because good quality replacement parts are much more difficult to obtain. You may be able to get Class 2 coverage, though. (fire & theft only - without coverage for damage to the body).

If your car is less than 15 years old, you can now also get a form of 3rd Class coverage that gives you the options of Collision coverage, or Fire & Theft coverage, or a combination of Collision and Fire & Theft coverage.

There are a couple of companies that will probably sell you 1st Class coverage, but the coverage I just mentioned above is much cheaper and much more practical for an older car.

Firefan

Yes, we can help you. For vehicles under 15 years we can offer 2 + 1 which is Third Party, Fire & Theft plus an agreed amount for your vehicle if involved with another vehicle – quite reasonable premiums !

Firefan    46

Too bad that my car just turned 15....dammit...that old bat! Cheers!

FlakeyFoont    1
Yes, we can help you. For vehicles under 15 years we can offer 2 + 1 which is Third Party, Fire & Theft plus an agreed amount for your vehicle if involved with another vehicle – quite reasonable premiums !

So if you get a policy like this on a 14 year old car, will they drop you when it turns 15?

Also, with this policy, can you get your car repaired at the dealership garage?

Are there any options for collision coverage on a car over 15 years old?

junkofdavid2    33

I insured my car on its 14th year with Thaivisa 2+1 AXA like he said, then I was renewed for 15th year without hassle; not dropped. AXA has very good call center service, from my experience.

However, just in case you do get dropped in the future, SCB Bank offers "Special 3rd Class" insurance for any age car for only 7,000. Your car will be insured for theft and damage (but not for electrical fire) for 100,000 baht, plus third party property damage 1 Million plus third party liability for injury up to 10 Million (1 million per person), plus more...

Firefan    46

Thaivisainsurance, that sounds good: is that 2+1 with AXA or whom? And you you specify the cover (damage on own car? to what level?) Cheers!

Thaivisainsurance, that sounds good: is that 2+1 with AXA or whom? And you you specify the cover (damage on own car? to what level?) Cheers!

AXA is one of several companies who offer 2 +1

As for the level of coverage, that obviously depends to a certain extent on the age of the vehicle.

Firefan    46

Sorry I meant AIA? I checked with you and they turned me down previously - so just wonder if something changed.

Different companies different underwriting criteria

…………………and for 'up country' there is a very good reason why fire coverage is necessary

post-50958-1268992944_thumb.jpg

Hssl    18

Another question on this thread can 'bail bond' be added on as an extra for an older car?