Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

palander

The Price Of Wine

Maybe it is becasue they want us to start drinking, and enjoying the good local produced stuff.

:)

I am under the impression that Thai wines are taxed at the same absurd rates as imported wines. The government isn't hip to the health promoting qualities of wine and/or doesn't give a fig about anything but money for the beer/whiskey mafias.

I reckon that you are spot on in this. I was recently asking at 'Halex' in Hua-Hin about 'Good Thai red wines' and was shown some at 500+B per bottle. How can they charge that for home produce when I am told that imported wine is charged at 400% import duty? Reckon that good Thai Shiraz should be on the market for around 200B max. If they had the blxxdy sense to reduce it they might sell a lot more!

Noted recently that 'Makro' are now importing Italian Barbera in boxes. Tried same but not the 'Barbera' that I used to drink, very ordinaire in my opinion. The guy in Halex told me that they are in the process of importing 'boxed' Chilean wines - now there is a thing to look forward to!

I have just picked up a case of Penfolds bin 2 for 500 baht a bottle :)

There are deals to be had if you ask around and buy by the case :D:D

Slightly off topic, but how long can you store it here at room temp before it goes bad??????????

Check your bottles, they won't have the 'tax' strip across the top. You have probably bought wine that has been smuggled in through various channels

Keep your supplier, he will save you a lot on wine costs !... But exercise caution as I'm not sure what would happen should you get caught with a crate of un-excised wine.

Buy a wine fridge (some are about 15000B in places like Emporium) store your wine in that and it will last.

I tried the boxes of white in Villa - One was rocket fuel, another was quite drinkable... it's put me off experimenting a little, but at B1200 for 3 or 4 liters its not so over priced when compared to the bottles if all you are looking for is something to wash down your evening meal.

Why is wine that expensive in Thailand, is it a combination of import taxes and demand ? At home (not in France), supermarkets offer a huge selection of perfect drinkable wines in the 300 Baht range.

And seems to have become much more expensive recently as well. You used to be able to get some fairly decent offers in Villa and the like (buy one, get one, buy two get one) which meant the price per bottle was reasonable. My last trip there did not see even one offer, and individual bottles mostly up above 500 baht per. Even the local Lotus has little below 450 per bottle.

And Thai "wine" -not the fruit stuff, just the stuff they sell as "wine" - undrinkable.

i just had a glass of wine with the head of the largest wine importer in thailand, he told me the import duty for wines was 430%

i'll stick to chang.

430%??? You sure that's right? Foodland sell bottles of Jacobs Creek in the 800-1000 baht range....so they are less than 250 baht before they get here? That can't be right surely.....

Yes, right on both counts. A couple of years ago, I looked into the viability of shipping wine in bulk from Europe to Thailand, and the combination of import duties, local taxes, VAT etc ran to over 400%.

And Jacobs Creek, although a very drinkable wine, is produced in massive, industrial quantities, and would come in at well below 250 baht per bottle at point of production.

As a wine drinker, it's the thing that most upsets me about Thailand, the price of a drinkable wine. I like a cold beer, but don't like more than one, really - bloats me out, but I can drink red wine all evening - in fact, I normally do. :)

I do really love a bottle of good red wine, back home I used to make my own wine red and white I also had my own grape vines in my garden. I must admid the first few brews were horrible just tasted like vinigar

but after a while with a lot of experimenting and trying all sorts of recipies my wine tasted quiet well. I guess the same thing happen in Thailand they are a new country in wine making and it will take many years for them to learn how to make a good wine. I have tried many times wines made in Thailand but I admid they taste like the first ones I made. Actually they make some good grape juice in Thailand but it is just not wine. The climate over here and the soil is a great advantage to make a good wine.

( apart from ice wine which needs a cool climate,maybe up north?) So guys hang in there for another 20 years and you might be able to drink a good Thai wine. And please this is not Thai knocking ok?

Maybe it is becasue they want us to start drinking, and enjoying the good local produced stuff.

:D

Understand where you are coming from, but unfortunately Thai wine is just as expensive as the imported stuff, which is rather a shame really because Thai wine is just as good as the imported vino and is on the up and up. It is rather sad that Government is intimidated by others into leaving the tax so high thereby not really encouraging this new business, which could have good potential, particularly for those in the North, where they could do with as much business as possible. :)

I am always searching for Thai wine, a few years ago my wife bought me a bottle of Chateu Loie and it was very good, but I have not been able to find any since. Issangeorge

Why is wine that expensive in Thailand, is it a combination of import taxes and demand ? At home (not in France), supermarkets offer a huge selection of perfect drinkable wines in the 300 Baht range.

And seems to have become much more expensive recently as well. You used to be able to get some fairly decent offers in Villa and the like (buy one, get one, buy two get one) which meant the price per bottle was reasonable. My last trip there did not see even one offer, and individual bottles mostly up above 500 baht per. Even the local Lotus has little below 450 per bottle.

And Thai "wine" -not the fruit stuff, just the stuff they sell as "wine" - undrinkable.

i just had a glass of wine with the head of the largest wine importer in thailand, he told me the import duty for wines was 430%

i'll stick to chang.

430%??? You sure that's right? Foodland sell bottles of Jacobs Creek in the 800-1000 baht range....so they are less than 250 baht before they get here? That can't be right surely.....

could be, saw on the news not so long ago that Aus was swimming in wine becasue the Europeans had gone off importing Oz wine.. and wine prices had suffered, some producers were (reportedly) giving it away or throwing it away...

i'll stick to chang.

When the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement entered into force on 1 January 2005, Thai tariffs on Australian wine were gradually reduced from 54 per cent to the current 28 per cent, giving Australian wine an immediate competitive advantage over wine producers from other countries which attract a tariff of 51 per cent. The import duty will phase down by four per cent each year to reach zero per cent by 2015.

There are relatively high tariffs on imported wines. In addition to import tariffs, imported wines are subject to four different tax systems:

• Excise tax – value-based rate at 60 per cent
  • Municipal tax – 10 per cent of excise tax
  • Value added tax (VAT) – 7 per cent
  • Health support project – 2 per cent

Excise tax can be calculated by on the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value or by volume basis (per litre). The higher excise tax calculation is used as a base for applying the municipal tax and VAT.

From the same website checker ?:)

http://www.austrade.gov.au/Wine-to-Thailand/default.aspx

Same article also says that...

"Only a Thai company can register a wine and apply for an import permit. Therefore you must appoint a local importer/distributor to handle the importing and government formalities."

Which also might explain why prices are kept high, wonder if Thailand has a monopolies commision...

Maybe Tesco can continue bringing the price of wine down and other distributors will act more competitively in the near future.

When the Thailand-Australia Free Trade Agreement entered into force on 1 January 2005, Thai tariffs on Australian wine were gradually reduced from 54 per cent to the current 28 per cent, giving Australian wine an immediate competitive advantage over wine producers from other countries which attract a tariff of 51 per cent. The import duty will phase down by four per cent each year to reach zero per cent by 2015.

There are relatively high tariffs on imported wines. In addition to import tariffs, imported wines are subject to four different tax systems:

• Excise tax – value-based rate at 60 per cent
  • Municipal tax – 10 per cent of excise tax
  • Value added tax (VAT) – 7 per cent
  • Health support project – 2 per cent

Excise tax can be calculated by on the cost, insurance and freight (CIF) value or by volume basis (per litre). The higher excise tax calculation is used as a base for applying the municipal tax and VAT.

From the same website checker ? :)

Same article also says that...

"Only a Thai company can register a wine and apply for an import permit. Therefore you must appoint a local importer/distributor to handle the importing and government formalities."

Which also might explain why prices are kept high, wonder if Thailand will ever have a monopolies commision...

Sure - but as with other items - you are able to obtain a import licence from the ministry of commerce - also for a price??

I got some wine in but now the authorities are giving us a lot of grief dont do it

Care to expand on how you managed such a dasterdly deed?

I got some wine in but now the authorities are giving us a lot of grief dont do it

Care to expand on how you managed such a dasterdly deed?

And wat Kind of grief??