Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BugJackBaron

Great Or Good Thai Movies With English Subtitles

39 posts in this topic

I have yet to sit through any, though I have heard Memory is good..

Others?

Others?

Wow. This is pathetic! Not a single movie buff on these forums?

Has Thai culture not penetrated the Western market at all?

Or maybe , unlike Japan, China or even Korea, Thailand has yet to reach

a decent level of filmography?

one of my faves was 'the mekhong full moon party'. the movie is about the bang fai festival on the mekhong river and had some great scenery, funny old wives tales, and a wonderful story line.

My favorites in the last couple of years have been Muan Rare, (the Tin Mine), Fan Chan, and Jot Mai Rak (The love letter)

All told a good story, had enough charisma to hold the attention and certainly tugged at the heart strings a bit

'Ong Bak' was fairly original and can be had on DVD with subtighten in Ingrit.

I watched the second installment of the historic epic trilogy with Prince Narusean (spelling?). That was also quite enjoyable and relived a part of Thai history I was unfamiliar with

As a side note, I thought the third and final film was coming out for His Majesty's 80th last December, did I miss it?

By Pen-ek Ratanaruang:

"Last Life In The Universe"

"6ixtynin9"

I liked "The Beautiful Boxer"... good in both Thai & English, set in both BKK and the countryside... check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beautiful_Boxer

Here's a few I found on netflix.com that I enjoyed:

Nang Nak- a classic Thai ghost/love story

The Iron Ladies

The Overture/Hoam Rong-great story about traditional Thai music competition

The Legend of Suriyothai

and Oliver Stone's Bang Rajan.

you can find more on netflix-depends what you like.

Krasue, so bad it was excellent! A film based on isaan folklore of a ghost which is a floating female head (including trailing intestines) that rampages at nightime through a rural village in search of victims.

krasue_00.jpg

Just went down to Tsutaya yesterday to check some of these out... guess what none of them have English subtitles. I even made the guy test play a few of them. Oh well!! back to the drawing board.

*bump*

so last night i got to see Pen-ek Ratanaruang's "Last Life In The Universe" and i'm looking for more good thai movies

any recommendations and where's the best place to find them on dvd

'the legend of suriyothai' is next in line for whenever i have 3 hours to sit down and watch it

Ong Bak

Prince Naresuan

bit on the pathetic side - but thought at least Prince Naresuan hads ome great shots in it!

Others?

Tony Jaa movies (Ong Bad 1 and 2 and the others)

Uhm, how about the King Naresuan two-ologies? Prertty good except for the ultra nationalism in it (someone mention that we are thai and and cannot be beaten every five minutes).

I will think of some more...

Check out this blog (http://thaifilmjournal.blogspot.com/). Is an excellent English language blog about Thai film. Lots of reviews of Thai films there.

I recommend

Monrak Transistor, Dorm, Shutter (best Thai horror film), Syndomes and a century (very art-hourse thai film), Citizen dog, Tears of the black tiger, 6ixty Nin9, Last life in the universe, The first film of the สี่แพร่ง (sii praeng/ 4bia) compilation, beautiful boxer,

Others?

What was that movie about the girl and the dog? That ripped my heart out especially the ending. Being an American male, we have a special conneciton to our dogs and I hate to see how they are treated here. That movie really hit home the plight of many thai children by connecting them with the plight of thai dogs. I almost balled my eyes out.