TRAZ57

Dying At Home In Chiang Mai

61 posts in this topic

this explains alot as my girl friend is away to the temple today with her friend as her grand mother had passed a short time ago and she was speaking about bones. and being the idle farang assumed the bone was ashes. this clears up alot.

thanks for taking the time to post

Thank you for posting this... I don't intend to pass on for many decades, but who knows? very useful info....

I grieve for the passing of your friend. God bless... D

5 years later....better late than never...

Ajarn.... you mentioned 5 years ..... way back in a early post.. Are you still with us???? I do Hope So

G

Ajarn.... you mentioned 5 years ..... way back in a early post.. Are you still with us???? I do Hope So

G

Alas not Gonzo

A much belated thank you for that TP. While it , no doubt, is one of the more important threads on the forum, it is not one to which I tend to visit very often. Just the topic I guess. But is there any further information on the passing of Ajarn, or is it posted in the Page of Remembrance thread. I try and not visit that one too often also, fearful maybe, of seeing my own name.

Thanks for the report. It is nice to know what is going to happen to me in about 5 years. smile.gif

Ajarn, just wondering how your doing ? all is well ?

1 person likes this

ID: 32   Posted (edited)

I'm really glad that it works out like this. I recently had read something that was kind of scary and this is very reassuring. thank you thank you thank you.

Edited by maewang99

A much belated thank you for that TP. While it , no doubt, is one of the more important threads on the forum, it is not one to which I tend to visit very often. Just the topic I guess. But is there any further information on the passing of Ajarn, or is it posted in the Page of Remembrance thread. I try and not visit that one too often also, fearful maybe, of seeing my own name.

Ajarn took his own life about 5 years after he said "that will be me in 5 years". I knew him quite well he had a lot of personal problems towards the end of his life. There was a long thread running about it as he posted on T V that he was intending to take his own life...and he did!!

RIP Larry, a guy who spent 20 years in CM after sticking a pin in the map of the world and the pin stuck in Chiang Mai

There are many expats with Thai families that have/may have members in a terminal state that can not afford McKean.   What are some other resources in Chiangmai?  

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, noise said:

There are many expats with Thai families that have/may have members in a terminal state that can not afford McKean.   What are some other resources in Chiangmai?  

I'm not familiar with resources and services available for Thai people who are covered by various Thai gov't programs, agencies, care homes, etc.  There are indeed resources.  They could start by contacting the well-regarded Chiang Mai based Foundation for the Development of Older Persons  http://fopdev.or.th/ for referrals to local Thai resources.

ID: 39   Posted (edited)

I'm afraid to find out.... what if it is a US citizen, any more strict?  i.e. US consulate must be informed and what they will request from police... but especially..... where there are no legal Thai relatives..... i.e. the deceased's spouse is his or her spouse in real life but not the legal one of record because of complications such as multiple jurisdictions for divorce plus things on top of that as well... had a post a few years ago and was too scared to look at the posts. 

the law for the USA is to look for a relative in the last state the deceased lived in.... which for most of us Americans means where we most recently were hanging onto some job... they will be looking for mine quite a long while if that is what they are required to do, and they are... and of course another US law prohibits ANY public funds to be used to transport or do anything maybe with the dead body until they do that (US law nothing to do with Brits)......   plus the autopsy is required unless... don't know the real answer to that one... or a firm one.  in the mean time I am waiting for next visit to US Consulate to ask there... gulp.

when we're dead there are still things that matter to us....quite a bit.... especially if we don't believe we even get to hang around a little while as a ghost or anything else.

Edited by maewang99

ID: 40   Posted (edited)

Maewang, sorry but a few of your comments are confusing to me.  I'd note:

(1)  If a US citizen wonders what involvement (not all that significant) the consulate/embassy has upon the death of the US citizen, go to the consulate/embassy website and read about it. 

(2)  Upon death of a US citizen here in CM, the consulate is notified and will start the process of looking for what they call the next-of-kin; however, if you have a  Will which names an executor, the consulate will indeed honor that choice and deal with that person (of course, they'll need to see the Will to determine that...and it's possible they'll ask for a translated version if your Will is in Thai).  A US passport has a page where one fills in info for an emergency contact and, absent seeing an apparently valid Will that says otherwise, that's who the consulate will contact first.  One can also enroll online with what's called the STEP program and include your emergency contact info there.  In other words, it's rather easy to help the consulate figure out who to contact should the US citizen die here.

(3)  The consulate does not have anything to do with requesting an autopsy.  The Thai police or medical officer on scene will often request one if a foreigner dies outside a hospital and/or if there are suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.  The next-of-kin, of course, can also request that an autopsy be done.

(4) Normally a hospital having possession of a deceased US citizen will request a release letter from the consulate before allowing the body to leave the hospital morgue. The consulate will give that okay as soon as they have identified the person with authority noted in #2 above and then the person with authority can take care of cremation or whatever after (typically) paying all the hospital bills to date.  

It's not all that complicated and one can sometimes save the consulate and others some hassle by simply filling in the emergency contact info in your passport, enrolling in the STEP program, and/or making and keeping a Will. 

Edited by CMBob
1 person likes this