Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
TRAZ57

Dying At Home In Chiang Mai

I am gonna open a thread in Laos social media  about this subject.......totally unknown to me but very important.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Your post was written with great dignity without false pathos. I was moved by your post, i hope that she didn't suffer too much towards the end.

I believe one can leave a certified letter (tetsabaan) specifying who is to take care of the funeral, i see no need to contact the British embassy what has it got to do with them.

By law the body of a foreign nationsl cannot be released for cremation or burial without the permission of theit embassy. The purpose is to ensure that next of kin are notified.

Most embassies in Thailand have a registration system wherein you can provide next of kin/emergency contact info. Having this on file greatly expedites matters when you die. Otherwise the embassy has to notify the home office to do a search to figure out whom should be notified.

Just now, Sheryl said:

By law the body of a foreign nationsl cannot be released for cremation or burial without the permission of theit embassy. The purpose is to ensure that next of kin are notified.

Most embassies in Thailand have a registration system wherein you can provide next of kin/emergency contact info. Having this on file greatly expedites matters when you die. Otherwise the embassy has to notify the home office to do a search to figure out whom should be notified.

Thanks for that, my relations are either in Germany or Australia although i have a few that i have rarely or never met in the UK, would be quite a problem for the home office. Would that mean that my body would be rotting away in the coffin until they had contacted my daughter in Germany to get permission from her to allow my son (10 years old at present) and my partner to cremate me ?

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Would that mean that my body would be rotting away in the coffin until they had contacted my daughter in Germany to get permission from her to allow my son (10 years old at present) and my partner to cremate me ?

If you've done nothing to avoid that, sure, that could happen.  And, in that case, a simple phone call to your daughter isn't going to do it....she'd have to sign a form or two, have it notarized (and/or certified by somebody at the governmental level), and return it to your local embassy/consulate before they are going to give any permission for release of your body.  You can check with your local embassy/consulate website to see if they lay out the what happens when one of their nationals dies here, procedures for locating a next-of-kin, etc.

Presuming you want your "partner" to handle proceedings (cremation), you ought to make a Will here and specifically make some provisions about that issue.  Your local embassy/consulate will honor a valid Will made here (although they may require it to be translated into your native language).  And, obviously, your Will ought to state who gets what from your estate and other usual provisions (and, presuming you're not married to your partner and you want your partner to be the executor or receive any of your estate, you really, really, need a Will here badly).

• Like 1