Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mobi

Severe Night Neck Sweats

37 posts in this topic

I have been having severe night neck sweats for quite a while now - certainly several months.

It doesn't happen every night, but probably at least 2 to 3 times a week.

The sweats are so bad that they drench my pillow, and I have to turn it over. Then on some occasions, I drench the other side and have to discard the pillow completely.

Up to recently I have put this problem down to drinking, and since I stopped in January, to the after effects of quitting the booze. But after all this time I don't think alcohol, or the lack of it is causing the problem.

My body doesn't' sweat, just my neck - a lot. I keep the room quite cool with an a/c so I'm certainly not sweating from heat.

Many people tell me that my body is hot during the day time, and they are convinced I am ill but there is no discernible fever.

Any ideas what kind of Doctor I should go to see? What are the possible causes?

I have been having severe night neck sweats for quite a while now - certainly several months.

The sweats are so bad that they drench my pillow, and I have to turn it over. Then on some occasions, I drench the other side and have to discard the pillow completely.

Up to recently I have put this problem down to drinking, and since I stopped in January, to the after effects of quitting the booze. But after all this time I don't think alcohol, or the lack of it is causing the problem.

My body doesn't' sweat, just my neck - a lot. I keep the room quite cool with an a/c so I'm certainly not sweating from heat.

Many people tell me that my body is hot during the day time, and they are convinced I am ill but there is no discernible fever.

Sorry Mobi, I recognise the name, but can you provide some more info: you know age, gender and anything that might be connected. It's so difficult as this is the sort of thing that is difficult to be calm about by it's very nature, but stand back a little and provide as much info as possible even if it seems inconsequential.

Take it easy, most probably it is some form of life change (as in the cold sweat of fear), and it could be that the very condition itself is reinforcing the symptoms. And it might just be cold turkey!

mommysboy

Sorry Mobi, I recognise the name, but can you provide some more info: you know age, gender and anything that might be connected. It's so difficult as this is the sort of thing that is difficult to be calm about by it's very nature, but stand back a little and provide as much info as possible even if it seems inconsequential.

Take it easy, most probably it is some form of life change (as in the cold sweat of fear), and it could be that the very condition itself is reinforcing the symptoms. And it might just be cold turkey!

I am 63 (almost) and male.

I am an insulin dependant diabetic, but I doubt I am having hypoglycaemic attacks, as those attacks cause my whole body to sweat, and I have other warning symptoms which are not present with these neck sweats.

I also have coronary heart disease, and take a whole range of meds to reduce my blood pressure, slow my heart rate (beta blockers) control my enlarged prostate etc. I have been taking most of these for years, but who knows?

Since I stopped drinking my general health has been a lot better, and I now need less insulin, and my chronic diarrhoea, which I had for years, has more less cleared up.

I have lost a little weight, but people tell me I look very thin. I guess it is because my face looks a lot thinner.

I am actually very relaxed, and happier than I have been for quite a while. I am busy at home sorting out all the chores that I have let slip for so long. I am not particularly worried about these sweats and until a couple of days ago didn't really worry about them at all, as I just assumed it was the after effects of quitting the booze, and my body adjusting. But now I am not so sure.

So if you have any clues as the cause, or even what kind of Doctor I should see,I would be grateful.

What Are Night Sweats?

Night sweats occur frequently in people living with HIV. Simply put, night sweats are profuse sweating that is not related to exercise. As the name implies night sweats occur primarily while you sleep but can occur during the day as well.

What Are the Symptoms of Night Sweats?

For fear of stating the obvious, sweating is the primary symptom of night sweats. Night sweats differ from other sweating in that they:occur without exercise

they occur primarily while sleeping

they can be very profuse; soaking bedclothes, sheets and blankets

occur without exercise

What Causes Night Sweats?

There are many causes of night sweats including:HIV infection - Night sweats can be just another symptom of HIV infection or they can be a sign of another infection such as the bacterial infection Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) and the fungal infection histoplasmosis.

Tuberculosis (TB)

Endocrine disorders such as diabetes and menopause.

Pregnancy

Sleep apnea and other sleep disorders.

Certain medications such as those used to control fever

alcohol consumption

What Are Night Sweats?

Night sweats occur frequently in people living with HIV. Simply put, night sweats are profuse sweating that is not related to exercise. As the name implies night sweats occur primarily while you sleep but can occur during the day as well.

What Are the Symptoms of Night Sweats?

For fear of stating the obvious, sweating is the primary symptom of night sweats. Night sweats differ from other sweating in that they:occur without exercise

occur without exercise

There are many causes of night sweats including:HIV infection - Night sweats can be just another symptom of HIV infection or they can be a sign of another infection such as the bacterial infection Mycobacterium avium complex (MAC) and the fungal infection histoplasmosis.

Tuberculosis (TB)

Pregnancy

alcohol consumption

Hmm.. yes.. I Googled that myself a few hours ago.

Anything from pregnancy, to HIV to the menopause to TB and just about everything else you can dream of.

Doesn't help much does it?

And mine are not night sweats - they are night NECK sweats. There is a subtle difference. If you Google night NECK sweats you will also find a few pages of suggestions.

Sorry, I don't wish to be rude, but I'm looking for practical suggestions, not just cutting and pasting the first thing you find in Google.

Thanks anyway :)

Mobi: IF your blood sugar is well controlled and you have had a recent thorough physical (including chest film) then it is probably not due to anything important and just look to ways to managhge it like:

- talcum powder on the neck before going to sleep

- change of pillow: look for one that has all cotton cover and soft contents (trial and error may be needed to find the best one for you)

- if above don't do the trick, put a soft and very absorbent towel over the pillow to soak up the sweat so that you can still sleep through the night.

If you haven't had a thorough physical recently then, of coursem you should, being sure to mention this problem.

Tuberculosis (TB)

Pregnancy

alcohol consumption

I agree with Sheryl here. And since it looks like you have done regular medical checks and don't drink i would bet my money on apnea.

I do have them time to time, not whole body but only my head soaking the pillow. Wife tells me that sometimes i have long breaks in my breathing while sleeping. Especially after few beers. Been feeling tired for years and regularly sleep 10 to 12 hrs a night still feeling tired. I guess i should make a trip to sleeping clinic myself...

I think it might have something to do with clothes you are wearing in bed. I found that the lower the neck line, the less sweat there is. Wifebeaters are the best.

For me it's true not only during the night - loosening the necktie works wonders during the day, too. It's like whole body heat escapes through that neck opening.

With a tight neck t-shirts I used to wake up with a wet collar while the rest was perfeclty dry, so I switched to another brand with a really big neck and it's ok now.

I would also like to hear other suggestions.

I think it might have something to do with clothes you are wearing in bed. I found that the lower the neck line, the less sweat there is. Wifebeaters are the best.

For me it's true not only during the night - loosening the necktie works wonders during the day, too. It's like whole body heat escapes through that neck opening.

With a tight neck t-shirts I used to wake up with a wet collar while the rest was perfeclty dry, so I switched to another brand with a really big neck and it's ok now.

I would also like to hear other suggestions.

mobi, you and i both have apnea, and i see this as one of the possible causes. i have night sweats also

Apnea? Why would you think that?

I don't have night sweats per se, it's just the neck area.

Apnea? Why would you think that?

I don't have night sweats per se, it's just the neck area.

sorry, i messed up and wanted this to refer to mobi

Don't really get the "abnormality" about sweating in bed in hot and humid climate?

all natural, cotton fibers bedding, no foam mattresses, non acrylic bed sheets,

good ventilation, cool sleeping room ( non a/c), a cotton towel

on the pillow... this all will help.

I do sweat sometimes in bed like being in a sauna!

My brother had a similar problem, but he also suffered from neck cramps at the same time. It was eventually traced to his high intake of caffeine as he drank a lot of ground coffee. He cut out the coffee and the problem went away.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

As I said before, my bedroom is kept quite cool with an a/c and a ceiling fan, and I only wear underpants in bed so my upper body and neck are bare. If anything, the room is on the cool side and I use a duvet and a wife to keep me warm and snug. :)

I haven't worn a tie or a suit since I took early retirement in 2000. All my city clothes went into the garbage bag.

These neck sweats are excessive - enough to completely drench my pillow - that's not normal, especially as the rest of my body is quite dry.

It could be connected with my sleep apnea, as I must confess that since I stopped drinking, I stopped using the breathing machine, as I really don't like it much.

I will try using it again and see if it solves the problem.

I had night sweats for years with no apparent cause. Due to having no medical problems I was told to just live with it, even though I had to get up in the night to towel dry myself. I would say I suffered for 20 years or more before it stopped on it's own accord. I suffered no ill affects other that tiredness due to waking up to dry myself during the night.