Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Richard W

Why Are Thai Letters So Hard To Read?

...I've converted it to PDF using Adobe Acrobat 4.0 ...  I intend to put it up in my webspace tonight. ...

Hmm, maybe I should play around with my version of Acrobat a bit more, but I'll certainly be having a look at your web site later (http://www.thai-language.com/).

It's now up and accessible in PDF from my webspace. It's probably best accessed through my cover note. I've zipped it up (466kB) for the benefit of those with slow connections. The file looks fine when viewed with Adobe Acrobat 6.0 - I don't know why the letters were horribly misaligned when I was viewing it with Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

P.S. Congratulations on getting it back up and running, and finding the sound files.  :o

Thai-language.com isn't mine - it's Glenn Slayden's! I'm just an occasional contributor.

...please feel free to let me know if you (or anyone else) want me to send you a copy, OK?

Thank you Andrew! I just got your email and this document describes exactly what I was trying to explain - how to pick out the important bits in Thai characters to distinguish them:

chars2a0eu.jpg

chars1a7vm.jpg

...It's now up and accessible in PDF from my webspace.  It's probably best accessed through my cover note....

Thanks Richard - I recommend everyone to get this and read it. It is soooo good!

....Thai-language.com isn't mine - it's Glenn Slayden's!  I'm just an occasional contributor.

I often wondered why the author of the site was listed as Glenn Slayden, but it was temporarily hosted on your NTL World homepage. :o Anyhow, I'm glad it's back!

Sorry - having problems accessing that zipped file.

Is the text available elsewhere ? Can the doc be e mailed if I send someone an e mail address?

Thanks

Sorry - having problems accessing that zipped file....

Could you have a look at it Richard please, because I get a "missing 10 bytes in zip file" error from WinZip.

Moog: I've got a zipped version (of Andrew's PDF), if you PM me an email address :o

Sorry - having problems accessing that zipped file....

Could you have a look at it Richard please, because I get a "missing 10 bytes in zip file" error from WinZip.

Moog: I've got a zipped version (of Andrew's PDF), if you PM me an email address :D

I'll fix it when I get home this afternoon and let you know what happened. That will be about 17.00 GMT, so midnight in Thailand, I'm afraid. I've just checked it from a Windows 2000 machine at work, and I too get the 10 bytes missing report. They must have gone missing when I uploaded the file. :o

....Thai-language.com isn't mine - it's Glenn Slayden's!  I'm just an occasional contributor.

I often wondered why the author of the site was listed as Glenn Slayden, but it was temporarily hosted on your NTL World homepage. :o Anyhow, I'm glad it's back!

I was trying to make it available until such time as Glenn could retrieve it from the FBI (or whatever). Most of what I had I had tediously gleaned from Google archives. I never got round to compressing all the data so it could fit in my webspace. I hope some of those who are ripping the site at the moment would have such noble intentions should it vanish again. However, Glenn now has backup plans to keep it going in case he should disappear from the scene.

.... I too get the 10 bytes missing report.  They must have gone missing when I uploaded the file.  :o

Ah well, these things happen. The main thing is, it'll be there soon for everyone to look at. And it certainly is useful!

...Glenn now has backup plans to keep it going in case he should disappear from the scene.

Good man! :D

.... I too get the 10 bytes missing report.  They must have gone missing when I uploaded the file.  :o

Ah well, these things happen. The main thing is, it'll be there soon for everyone to look at. And it certainly is useful!

It's there now. This time I've done a test download before announcing it's presence. Last time I forgot to check that it wasn't FTPed in ASCII mode, whence the missing 10 bytes (Windows client to Unix host).

thanx rdn,

the thai reads well, and part of the english fonts in the commentary, but the main body looks shadowed.... what to do???

oops just went back and checked, my acrobat is 5

maybe i have to update first?? to six or seven?

thanx rdn,

the thai reads  well, and part of the english fonts in the commentary, but the main body looks shadowed.... what to do???

oops just went back and checked,  my acrobat is 5

maybe i have to update first?? to six or seven?

(I emailed bina my zipped PDF from Andrew Mac)

Yes, my Acrobat reader is v7. But if you look here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=304567 there's a free PDF reader that I now use, that's quicker than Adobe (and smaller).

Edit:

I've just tried both Andrew's PDF and Richards new zipped PDF, and they look terrible using Acrobat 5.

But both look fine using v7 and the Foxit PDF reader I got from the link above.

So bina, you do need to upgrade :o

Maybe my eyes are just getting worse by the day and it's time for new glasses but I find the Thai in many books very hard to read. I've been meaning to post and see if there is a dictionary that has bigger Thai script type than Becker. I can’t read that.

I am very worried I’m going to be soon walking around Thailand with a one of these

Maybe my eyes are just getting worse by the day and it's time for new glasses but I find the Thai in many books very hard to read. I've been meaning to post and see if there is a dictionary that has bigger Thai script type than Becker.  I can’t read that.

I am very worried I’m going to be soon walking around Thailand with a one of these

20 dollars! Wow, there are lots of big magnifying glasses on sale in Thailand - a lot in stalls on Sukhumvit road. But you'd have to jerry-rig the rest against your chest! :o

...It's now up and accessible in PDF from my webspace.  It's probably best accessed through my cover note....

Thanks Richard - I recommend everyone to get this and read it. It is soooo good!

yup, thanks to Richard.

It's quite an interesting book. Since I learnt to read Thai classic style, I always wondered about how was created the modern one and how Thai people learnt to read it..! Moreover, knowing the real differences to distinguish characters will be probably greatly improve my common script reading skills (I can read it, but something like 5 times more slowly than thai people :o )

And so far I was totally unable to read most thai hand writting, but now, my hope is back about this ! :D

... Since I learnt to read Thai classic style, I always wondered about how was created the modern one and how Thai people learnt to read it....

Hopefully it will enable you to understand why this stuff is not "USA", but the Thai equivalent of "Breeze":

dscn72254xm.jpg

:D:o

The paper didn't really address handwriting, or, to any great extent, script-like typefaces. I remember three features that had me baffled:

• can look like a gamma sitting on a line.
  • can look like a curly capital U - the bottom left loops round rather than doubling back, and the knot at the top right hand corner can have a large vertical extent.
  • sometimes join on to a preceding consonant. The script combination ภา at the start of the title of the magazine ภาพยนตร์บันเทิง threw me - I had to ask my wife what the magazine was called! I couldn't find a better on-line example - the บันเทิง part is inside the circle to the right, and in a 'modern' font.