Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CLASBYCLAN

Pizza Rustica Is The Best Pizza In Chiang Mai!

kcore    65

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

kcore    65

I tried the parDise place based on the buzz here on TV. In my opinion not even close to khun Steven Simple in another league. Just my opinion though and love the pizza wars on TV. Always good debate. Kevin

elektrified    2,617

I tried the parDise place based on the buzz here on TV. In my opinion not even close to khun Steven Simple in another league. Just my opinion though and love the pizza wars on TV. Always good debate. Kevin

What or who is Khun Steven Simple? Sounds like a nursery rhyme.

elektrified    2,617

My vote would go for

1. Dukes

2. Beccofino (near monkey club)

I tried Beccofino once. Pizza was terrible - undercooked and light on toppings. Over-priced as well.

infernalman7    50

The only thing I love from Beccofino is their bread basket. But I still prefer Auberge to Beccofino any day.

The plain pizza bread from Giorgio's (Casa Antoino) is pretty good as well.

kcore    65

Edit Steven is owner of pizza and pasta. Apologies for typos

What or who is Khun Steven Simple? Sounds like a nursery rhyme.

DaamNaam    863

Francesca pizzeria on the klong rd, about half way between Tonpayom market and Somoeng intersection. Very good pizza. Nice view of Doi Suthep from the outside tables too.

OriginalPoster    123

A few people I know fell for that line quite a while ago, but were very disappointed when they actually visited Pizza-n-Pasta. I would put it about on par with Paradise Pizza which is in the "OK for Thailand" category.

The Pizza Rusica shop smelled great, but was not much better than Paradise Pizza either.

I must agree with you UG, regarding Pizza-n-Pasta. I thought the tomato topping tasted as if it had just come out of the tomato paste concentrate can and spread on the bread base directly from there.

I do enjoy the Dukes pizza, but only in the restaurant its self, as usually too soggy by the time it gets home. I also like the Pizza at Gorgio's just beyond Pantip Plaza on Chang klan, thin and crispy base.

I went to Pizza-n-Pasta more than a year ago. Quite possibly the worst pizza I ever experienced. I went after reading about it on another thread. What a disappointment. :bah:

The pizza that is consistently terrific is the thin-crusted pizza at the Italian restaurant on Sunday Walking St. just past Black Canyon Coffee on the same side of the street.

I tried Pizza-n-Pasta also once when I happened to be out in that area around lunch time. I thought that it wasn't horrible, but it was more along the lines of pizza that you'd get if you bought slices of pizza in a shopping mall in the US than what you'd get at Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. I'd categorize is as being inoffensive but forgettable.

Ulysses G.    25,571

I would propose that - in general - the best pizza that one is likely to get in Thailand would be along the lines of what ypu would find in a shopping mall in the US, rather than anything even close to Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. :(

DaamNaam    863

How much at Francesca?? Drive past often.

From around 200 for a small to 350 large. They only have two sizes.

OriginalPoster    123

I would propose that - in general - the best pizza one is likely to get in Thailand would be along the lines of what ypu would find in a shopping mall in the US, rather than anything even close to Lombardi's in NYC or Pepe's in New Haven. :(

Available evidence seems to support that proposal, though the one time I tried the pizza at Duke's I thought that it was a step above mall pizza.

Strangely though, most Europeans I meet in Thailand seem to think that almost every Italian Restaurant anywhere in the world (other than in the USA, of course) has better pizza than anything that you'll find in NYC or New Haven anyway. That makes it harder to put pizza reccommendations in context here. I've heard raves about the pizza at a few of the Italian restaurants in in Chiang Mai from such folk, and the are very adamant about it. But so far I've been underwhelmed by the Italian styled pizza here too, even at the most heavily hyped places. If that's really what good pizza takes like, then it's no wonder that they don't like the pizza in NYC.

Ulysses G.    25,571

Available evidence seems to support that proposal, though the one time I tried the pizza at Duke's I thought that it was a step above mall pizza.

I agree that the Duke's pizza stands above the rest, but every time that I mention it, someone claims that secretly I own the place.

There are a few Italian pizza places that are fairly good for toppings - Stefano's and the place at almost at the beginning of Walking Street near Thapae Gate - but good crust is my favorite part of a pizza and that dry cracker crust just does not measure up IMO.

OriginalPoster    123

I agree that the Duke's pizza stands above the rest, but every time that I mention it, someone claims that secretly I own the place.

There are a few Italian pizza places that are fairly good for toppings - Stefano's and the place at almost at the beginning of Walking Street near Thapae Gate - but good crust is my favorite part of a pizza and that dry cracker crust just does not measure up IMO.

yeah, I know, it seems like on almost every CM food thread on ThaiVisa that people end up discussing Duke's. I'm not a Duke's groupee though; I probably eat there a couple of times per month, mostly because my wife is crazy over a particular dish that they serve there. She orders that same dish every time and I'm slowly working my way though the rest of the menu. Most times after eating there I have a feeling as if I just ate at a Bennigans or a TGIF Friday's, but with their pizza it was different. I'd order it more often except that I overeat dramatically when I order pizza, and if I did it too often it would likely lead to bypass surgery.

SoloFlyer    52

How much at Francesca?? Drive past often.

From around 200 for a small to 350 large. They only have two sizes.

funnily enough i saw a brochure just half an hour ago. Not over the top, but will wait for more recommendations before trying.