BANGKOK 10 December 2018 09:49
Sign in to follow this  
george

German/thai Student Dies Of Electrocution In Phuket

Student dies of electrocution in Phuket

gallery_327_1086_13873.jpg

This malfunctioning water heating unit was the likely cause of the tragedy.

CHALONG, PHUKET: -- A 17-year-old student of the British International School died from an accidental electrocution on Christmas Day.

Chalong Police Investigator Boonlert Onklang identified the deceased as Anurak Gottschalk, son of a German photographer and his Thai companion who works as a cook aboard a tour boat.

At about 5:30pm, the boy's German uncle and a housemaid found Anurak dead in the bathroom of their home in Chalong Village 9.

They went to check on the boy after realizing that he was taking an unusually long shower.

Anurak's body was covered in electrical burn marks and his hands were still clutching the sprayer when he was discovered.

Rescue workers from the Phuket Ruamjai Kupai Foundation brought the body to Vachira Phuket Hospital, where Anurak was pronounced dead on arrival.

An examination of the body determined cardiac failure resulting from electrical shock as the cause of death.

A malfunctioning water heating unit for the shower is the presumed cause of the tragedy.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-12-30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Lost for words

But defiantly avoidable for a few baht more

RIP

As an Electrician, it does amaze me why Thai buildings (including ones farang have built for them)

are always missing the Earth, as well as being wired up completely wrong.

The very sad thing is, that there are laws that the Thai's are meant to abide by and sign a certificate saying the electrical installation is safe. Obviously no one checks or actually cares.

I would also say, I was checking out the wiring in the new Shell Petrol Station in Phuket, and being Shell, i would have thought their would be standards... Alas I was wrong. Very poorly wired with 3 phase 25mm cables coming in, earthed by a 4mm cable... = death when a problem occurs. But at least there was an Earth.... did it work... dunno... maybe it just looked good.

TB

Just had a condo finished and one of the things I insisted on was a water heater out of the way (under the sink area), rather than using those shower type heaters. From this I'll also be very very vigilant when in hotels etc that have this type of heater.

It seems there are too many electrocutions in Thailand that are so easily avoidable. I hope things start to change for the better soon, this developing country still requires a significant amount of HSE development and actions need to be proactive rather than reactive.

Such a shame and so avoidable. RIP.

Edited by richard_smith237

As an Electrician, it does amaze me why Thai buildings (including ones farang have built for them)

The very sad thing is, that there are laws that the Thai's are meant to abide by and sign a certificate saying the electrical installation is safe. Obviously no one checks or actually cares.

I would also say, I was checking out the wiring in the new Shell Petrol Station in Phuket, and being Shell, i would have thought their would be standards... Alas I was wrong. Very poorly wired with 3 phase 25mm cables coming in, earthed by a 4mm cable... = death when a problem occurs. But at least there was an Earth.... did it work... dunno... maybe it just looked good.

TB

I am always surprised that nothing more happens. Considering how the electric is wired I would guess every day hundreds of deads....

Typical Thai disregard for anything resembling safety. Nobody has any foresight in this country when it comes to public or worker safety.

TB

So you are saying these electrocutions occur due to faulty wiring within the structures themselves? I was under the impression it was the shower units that caused it.

How ironic, first an Israeli and now a German. I am still a bit afraid when they call me in the middle of the night: Mitkommen Duschen ...

TB

not always. you are welcome to check my house :)

Just had a condo finished and one of the things I insisted on was a water heater out of the way (under the sink area), rather than using those shower type heaters. From this I'll also be very very vigilant when in hotels etc that have this type of heater.

It seems there are too many electrocutions in Thailand that are so easily avoidable. I hope things start to change for the better soon, this developing country still requires a significant amount of HSE development and actions need to be proactive rather than reactive.

Such a shame and so avoidable. RIP.

Dreadful to happen the day after the swimming pool electrocution - very sad and totally avoidable. Sadly, too many RIP's translate to Repeat In Perpetuity............ :)

Edited by Brewsta

It is very tragic and sad. My thoughts to his family.

Two (2) farangs die of electricution in Phuket in 5 days, farangs bashed by tuk tuk drivers is this place really safe in any aspect.

I'm getting tired of failing electricity in our land. And I don't really trust the work being done either. And some days ago the water heater for the shower stopped 'heating' (but running it does). Any good electrician, be it Farang or Thai, around that anyone can verify for? PM with number would be appreciated.

Getting electric chocks from my computers chassis is getting tiresome...