Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

leah

One Guy's Effort To Learn Thai In 8 Weeks

Polyglot?? i have followed your time here trying to learn Thai in 8 weeks,which was never going to happen the way you have tried.if it was solely about effort i would still have failed you.

I honestly learnt more Thai living in a village with the natives for a month than you learnt in your sorry effort of 2 months.

Also your tonal video was awful and your final video i would expect better from a 12 year old who had been here a couple of weeks.

FAIL.

Always remember to learn a language of any country, first you have to learn the culture in depth... and you never tried.

Is the irishpolyglot really Mr Bean's son ?

Bramdis - You are so right, I learned Lao at the age of 27 by practicing with the people in the office and spoke it 50 % of the time. Even though Lao is a much easier language to learn it took two years for me to get a speaking rating of 3. Few Americans in Vientiane achieved that grade. Those station in small field stations did much better in a shorter period. But I don't recall any one older than 35 make learn more than a few mispronounced words..

I was surprised there was no appeal for money and he left me wondering where does a young man get the income to travel the world? Also, I wonder, when he is 71, will he still be able to speak Thai as well asI now speak Lao, or think I do. My Lao friends frequently remind me than I can speak Lao - but no one can understand me!

Bramdis, i appreciate your posting. Thanks.

There are some discussions/arguments going on now between Benny the Irish Polyglot and linguist Steve Kaufmann, mostly about topics touched on here - whether or not it really is possible to learn a language fluently in 3 months, whether enthusiasm and talking is all it takes, etc.

http://thelinguist.blogs.com/how_to_learn_...a-language.html

http://thelinguist.blogs.com/how_to_learn_...s-and-wine.html

I've just read on Benny's blog that after his ".......success..." (he gives himself a score of 4 out of 5) with the Thai language, he's now planning to write a book about his language learning method and sell it.

Goodluck Benny! Hope your book will be just as good as your Thai.

I've just read on Benny's blog that after his ".......success..." (he gives himself a score of 4 out of 5) with the Thai language, he's now planning to write a book about his language learning method and sell it.

Goodluck Benny! Hope your book will be just as good as your Thai.

"A genius in his own mind"

This person is either a savant or has in IQ above Hawkins. It is absolutely impossible for a European to become even marginally fluent in Thai in 8-weeks. Again, impossible.

Many readers want proof that this 8-week wonder has never before in his life been exposed to non-Latin / Asian languages.

I'm not sure you read the whole thread, thaigold. I think his final video shows that he hasn't been exposed to them before, and his actual progress with the language was rather modest and quite achievable for the average person.

Also, to be fair, he awarded himself 4 out of 5 stars compared to his original goals (perhaps a bit generous) -- he didn't claim 4 out of 5 for overall Thai language ability. That would be preposterous. He's still somewhere around a 1 out of 1008 overall. ;P

Thaigold,

To be fair, this guy never claimed that he would achieve fluency in 8 weeks. He did set out his goals at the beginning....

Learn to read Thai and be able to pronounce the 5 tones correctly

Read a Thai passage (that he has never seen before) to several Thai people so that they can understand it.

Speak basic to lower intermediate Thai

It is very difficult to hear him on the video, but it is quite obvious that he had no previous exposure to Asian languages.

He actually only speaks for a total of about 15 seconds on the video and most of that is lost in the background noise.

From what I can make out, his pronounciation is not too bad. He gets the tones wrong with Bangkok กรุงเทพ, Vegetable fried rice ข้าวผัดผัก, orange ส้ม etc. When he says 600 Baht?, he makes the common mistake of using the Farang question tone instead of a question particle.

As I posted earlier, I had my girlfriend listen without watching the video and she could only pick out a few words. She had no idea what he was saying.

At the sunglasses stall he actually speaks English when he says "No no no 200 Baht"

So how did he do with his original goals?

Learn to read Thai and be able to pronounce the 5 tones correctly - He got the tones wrong at least half the time

Read a Thai passage - He did not attempt it

Speak basic to lower intermediate Thai - A few sentences from a phrasebook is not basic Thai

If he had actually shown that he was able to read some Thai, I would have possibly been impressed, but his achievements are not exceptional and no more than the average tourist would pick up on holiday.

4 out of 5 stars :D:)

Okay, not to mince words. :D BUT. ..

HE TOTALLY BITES in speaking anything more than "2-word-tourist-thai" :D Something you can learn out of a tour book....

Sorry but that's what the thais who live on my street said. And last time I checked, they were THAI :D , not some wanna-b-thai foreigner who hoped thais could understand his attempt at trying to speak thai. . .. :D

That's AFTER I took what he spoke outside to my Soi, and let the 'real' thais listen to it. :D

He sucked ass in BOTH his pronunciation, and in he enunciation. :)

I give him a 1.5 out of 5 :D

Yep, he is a true polyglot; (NOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!) :D

confidence is great for learning languages, but blindly rating himself a 4/5 when his Thai is well below what an average person could achieve with multiple takes and a bi-lingual friend coaching them (on the video at least) means any self assemsent from you is useless in any of the languages you "speak".

I will optimisitically say Benny is just so full of himself that he doesn't realize how off his assesment is; this explains the ease of achieving fluency in any language in just 3 months. As has been said before, fluency is a very, very subjective term.

Confidence should be a "deep-seated" believe in your ability to perform a difficult tusk. Confidence should be a positive motivator "to do". When confidence appears to be just a boisterous remark to impress those around you - it has no foundation - it is just a character flaw.

His agenda was "self promotion" and at least on this forum - he failed there too.

He can now use this experience to gain insight into his failings or just reject criticism "to save face" and continue his "braggadocio" ways.

Wow...what a waste of my time reading that 8 pages...

it started off looking great...here is a dynamic person who maybe able to offer some new style or different self help techniques in learning a language.

Sorry to say..that video was awful...

Any phrase book can give you...numbers, fruit and thanks.....

I thought his pronunciation was shocking and couldn't get some of it...

It sounds like he says "krungtere" but granted the sound isn't very clear..

Total shocking and cringe worthy...don't think there's any reason to donate to his site....what have i learnt from it..

I once worked with a very self assured Brazilian girl who always stated "i can speak over 6 languages" but she was shocking whenever someone who could

speak one of her languages spoke to her she couldn't answer or communicate..then she would just go on a long rant in English and drop some Brazilian/Portugese slang words in too make it sound good...

Learning and speaking a phrase is great if it helps you and that is all it appears mr polyglot has done...

Jane if you're reading this...you and the irishpolyglot should get together ! :)