Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

britmaveric

Married - Which Hand Do You Wear Ring On?

What hand do you wear your wedding ring on?   69 members have voted

1. 1. What hand do you wear your wedding ring on?

• Left
    • Right
    • Don't wear a ring

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

36 posts in this topic

Western custom is if you are married you wear your ring finger on the left hand. However Thai is the direct opposite and right indicates married or taken.

Although I am not married I wear my rings on my left hand - which makes my Thai Gf happy. :o

Any thoughts?

Western custom is if you are married you wear your ring finger on the left hand. However Thai is the direct opposite and right indicates married or taken.

This statement is not 100% correct. There are European countries where the tradition for the wedding ring is the right hand.

I'd had many discussions with former colleagues on this matter, none of which has either resolved the differences or been able to come up with a plausible explanation.

Any offers?

This statement is not 100% correct. There are European countries where the tradition for the wedding ring is the right hand.

I'd had many discussions with former colleagues on this matter, none of which has either resolved the differences or been able to come up with a plausible explanation.

Any offers?

:o Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand! :D

Dunno - perhaps gf is having one on me, but numerous people have asked if we were married. :o

Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand!

Geez, and you didn't see that coming from a mile away? How long have you been married? :o

Stupidly, I asked the wife, and got the reply that it did not matter, but if I wasn't sure, why don't I buy her another ring for the other hand!

Geez, and you didn't see that coming from a mile away? How long have you been married? :D

:o

Where I come from there is this nursery rhyme that ends '...with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes, she shall have music wherever she goes!'

So, prepare your budget for all twenty digits!

My Thai wife to, has often wished for an additional differently-coloured' ring set, like white gold, to complement her new-found fashion attire! Will it never end?

The origins of the wedding ring are a bit unclear. It seems to have symbolised being someone else's possession (men didn't wear wedding rings) in the same way as slaves wore a thumb ring to indicate their status.

Gradually, it became an iterm of jewellery rather than of obedience (yeah, right - ask my gf about that!) and the practice of wearing a ring on the third finger of the left hand stems from the ancient belief that the vein from that finger is connected directly to the heart.

Germans (and others) wear them on the right hand. No idea why. Ask a German.

Never worn one :D

Long time ago when I was an apprentice "Spark"one of our guys used to wear a expensive chunky goldy one plus matching watch until one day while doing some testing works he had to put his hand between some 3 phase supply bus bars....... :o

I understand many Europeans wear their wedding ring on the right hand

as it's close to the heart.

That's the hand you put over your heart when you sing your national anthem or do a pledge.

My wife and I both wear our wedding rings on the 3rd finger on the left hand...

Thinking about it though, we also both wear rings on our 3rd finger on the right hand, so I guess we're covered both ways... :D

RE Mainland Europeans wearing on the right hand.... probably did it to be different from us Brits... same as the "driving on the wrong side of the road" thing..! :o

totster :D

Germans (and others) wear them on the right hand. No idea why. Ask a German.

I had a German boss who wore his on his left hand. My French boss does too.

Hi,

In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like.

I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman.

However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards.

I have never heard about wedding rings on the RIGHT hand in Thailand?

BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

Although I am not married I wear my rings on my left hand - which makes my Thai Gf happy. :o

Any thoughts?

I wear my wedding ring on the right hand. My husband is the Dane. I belive the Danes ware their wedding ring on the right hand.

Hi,

In Denmark, most married couples wear the ring on the RIGHT hand. Anyway, some Danes clam that the wedding ring belongs to the left hand. BUT that is incorrect, and may be an imported trend from Hollywood movies or the like.

I have that understanding that in Thailand, if you wear a ring, you have it on your LEFT hand. Especially the American trend with a BIG diamond on the LEFT hand for the woman.

However, it seems like many BIG, BIG diamond rings (often a bad quality as it looks yellow…) on the bride's LEFT hand are to disappear after the wedding party as it was a FACE thing only and can be sold afterwards.

I have never heard about wedding rings on the RIGHT hand in Thailand?

BTW, to wear the ring on the LEFT hand can be practical, in particularly if you use soft Thai gold or a BIG yellow diamond, as that hand normally is more active than the right.

At the risk of diverting this thread to a discussion on Danish customs...

My first wife (who was Danish) and I, during our time in Copenhagen (over 20 years), always wore our rings on our left hands.

We were aware there were some Danes who used the right hand, but in Copenhagen, they were, as far as we could observe, in the minority.

We always had the opinion that the right handed wedding rings were mostly worn by those closely following their Jysk traditions (those from the mainland of Jylland).

This mainland being connected to Germany and therefore, perhaps more influenced by the German custom.

Never worn one :D

Long time ago when I was an apprentice "Spark"one of our guys used to wear a expensive chunky goldy one plus matching watch until one day while doing some testing works he had to put his hand between some 3 phase supply bus bars....... :o

For this reason I do not wear a ring. It is smart IMHO

My wife does not wear a specific wedding ring either, she has never asked about it and I have never mentioned.

Each to his/her own I guess