Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gravion

How Do You Become A Tourist Police?

gravion    1

Hello.

What are the requirements? Can anyone be a tourist police?

What are the advantages of being a tourist police?

Thanx for any informations....

j_mack    0

:) Look like just about any one, with what thay have...............................

I love em..

nullx8    105

you mean the guys hanging in pattaya walking street in uniforms ?

or you mean real Tourist Police officers ?

as for the first ... the only advantage you may get is that you feel more protected ..

but the reality can shift rather quickly .. (see recent storrys about someone even trained them before) [do you really want that?]

as for the secound ... well known, educated, some relation to the country and the force is essential.

there is also another big difference between the 1st and 2nd group ... as the 2nd ones get paid with local currency and pay taxes too :)

syd barrett    18

I refuse to knock them anymore, but it seems that a requirement is time.

I would not give up my time to be a volunteer policeman in Thailand, I would rather help people in other ways.

But I have to wonder, if some do volunteer for the wrong reasons or have a hidden agenda.

Hopefully future screening of candidates will confirm the applicant's genuine altruism.

DP25    2,562

You get to star in pseudo docu-dramas on UK tv

bobo42    142

Notwithstanding the snarky replies, I too am really curious about the question of why somebody would choose to be a TP volunteer. There must be some advantage or satisfaction in the job as it seems like a lot of time and trouble and a lot of crap that these people subject themselves to dealing with.

Is it all about the "under the table" advantages of knowing some "big police"?

Or is it just the power trip of playing cop? (I'm sure true of some, but very hard to believe this one covers them all)

Ir is it the warm glow of satisfaction for helping others? (also hard to believe given the work, but I'm sure true of some)

Or are there some other hidden reasons for devoting so much time and effort into what appears to be a pretty mundane and thankless job?

goldfinger    17
Or are there some other hidden reasons for devoting so much time and effort into what appears to be a pretty mundane and thankless job?

Maybe the drinks for free in the bars?

britmaveric    220

Well I think its two fold for Howard... likes helping people and well he gets news stories while in the thick of it. :)

ongoing    0

Go and see Howard in Pattaya the ' godfather ' of the tourist police :D . You have to go on 1 year assault course designed by Horward himself. The pass rate is 5 %. Ex Navy seals have been known to fail this course ! Most die within the first week. But if you can surive the year then you are in :) You can patrol the mean streets with Howard ' The Bald Eagle ' Miller. :D

bobo42    142

Maybe the drinks for free in the bars?

That may well be a motivation... I never thought that the volunteers might get freebies from local businesses (I figured this would be reserved for the regular police), but it stands to reason, especially for foreign-operated places. Maybe the job allows somebody who is 'just scraping by' to live a more entertaining lifestyle in LOS.

Pure speculation, but I also wonder if there might be kickbacks from the police on the "fines" that the tpv bring to their doorstep? Of course nobody would ever admit to it (understandably), but this is Thailand, so its certainly possible. That would definitely be a good motivator to go to work every evening, and keep you from just sitting on your butt all night. Again, just speculation, and I'm sure you would never know about this unless you were "in".