Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bprinceuk

Blood Pressure Medication

39 posts in this topic

I have just moved to Thailand and I take medication for high blood pressure. In the UK this is prescribed by the local GP. Is this type of medication available over the counter in Thailand or does it have to be a prescription issue by a GP the same as in the UK. I am presently taking Amias (Candesartan Cilextil) does any one know if this medication is available in Thailand.

Brian

Almost every single medication are available OTC in Thailand including blood pressure medication.(except sleeping pill and chemo tablet!)

Candesartan is available OTC here ( Blopress) but it is very expensive as an imported medication.

You may use other ARB alternative as they have them in generic here ( Loranta, Tanzaril).

If your blood pressure is under control and you have no other problem and you wish to continue your prescribed medication, you can buy it at any chemist.

If you are not sure about other problems( Heart/kidney/Dyslipidemia), you may consider seeing the doctor fisrt and follow his/her instruction and treatment.

Once on ARB in long term, kidney function and potassium level should be tested occasinally.

As above. Since you are still in the UK I suggest you ask your doctor if there is any reason why you could not switch to losarten (the generic name for the Thai made brands Loranta and Tanzaril). Explain to him that you will have to pay out of pocket for meds once in Thailand and that losarten is available in a local generic forum whereas Candesarten is not.

Not quite true on the OTC. Some cities in Thailand yes and some cities no. I live in Chiang Mai which is yes but when I go to Surin its NO.

You may order them online from trusted Chemist eventhough you are in Surin or Sisaket then.

You may order them online from trusted Chemist eventhough you are in Surin or Sisaket then.

Thanks for the info on that. I just go to the main farang hospital in Surin see a doctor and get my medication they do have it and even with seeing the doctor its the same price as if i had gone to a chemist.

Amlor and Atacand is hard to find.

While we are on the subject. Does anyone know the generic or what Prinivil (lisinopril) is called in Thailand? Looked everywhere for this today in the Bangna area but to no avail...

Similar situation.

Planning on retiring, with Thai wife, some time soon, to Petchabun area.

Does anyone know whether the following medications are available in Thailand, whether there are any generic equivalents, or where I can order them (Bangkok?):

1. Ivabradine - (Trade name: Procoralan)

2. Valsartan - (Trade name: Diovan)

3. Rosuvastatin - (Trade name: Crestor)

Many thanks

Similar situation.

Does anyone know whether the following medications are available in Thailand, whether there are any generic equivalents, or where I can order them (Bangkok?):

Many thanks

Ivabradine is a very new drug and new class of drugs, there are no other forms of it available. It is available as brand name Coralan but will be expensive. May also be hard to find in small pharmacies or in rural areas but can certainly be obtained in Bangkok or other large city.

Valsartan is available in a local generic brand called Valatan, made by Silom medical.

Rosuvastatin is only available as brand name import but simvastatin, which is in the same family of drugs and has same action, is widely available under many local brand names, suggest you ask your doctor if there is any reason why you cannot switch to it instead.

You need to think carefully about how you will finance health care once here as with a pre-existing heart condition it will be difficult to get local insurance and as a foreigner you will not be eligible for free health care. You can go to government hospitals, but you'll have to pay and while costs are lower than in private hospitals they can still add up to a considerable amount in cases of serious illness or major surgery. Stent placements are especially costly due to the cost of the devices themselves.

I'd also be a bit concerned about being all the way out in Petchabun as it will be a long trip to the nearest decent hospital. Govt hospitals below provincial level are not worth going to and even at provincial level specialty care is limited. In that general region, Khon Kaen is probably the best served as it has a regional government hospital (provincial hospital that also offers specialty services in a tertiary care capacity) affiliated with a medical school. There is also a private hospital in Khon Kaen (Ram) which is affiliated with the medical school as well but of course more expensive. I'd suggest considering the distance to Khon Kaen in selecting where you live.

Similar situation.

Many thanks

Neillythere,

As sheryl said, Ivabradine is only available as expensive orginal made (Coralan).

Can you not take Beta- blocker instead?? You may want to discuss with your cardiologist if procoralan can be replaced with beta-blocker(such as carvedilol,nebivolol).

Generic Carvedilol and Nebivolol are available at a very reasonable price.

Coralan will cost you a fortune unless you do not mind to spend ~5000-6000/month for the three medication.

Good Luck.

Can I order the medications I need from the UK ?

Could you please provide a web link to a Thai pharmacy that would do this.