Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MAJORUS

Hospice For The Terminally Ill In Chiangmai

31 posts in this topic

I read some time ago about people looking for an hospice for a terminally ill person

Here is up to date info on Dokkaew Gardens at the McKean Rehabilitation Center Chiangmai

Perhaps a MOD could pin it to the pages of remembrance thread as it may be helpful to someone.

DOKKAEW GARDENS

McKEAN REHABILITATION CENTER

PO BOX 53 CHIANGMAI THAILAND 50000.

CONTACT BETH ROADARMEL,,PROJECT MANAGER

DOKKAEW GARDENS

053 124430-124263. EXT139 , FAX 053 124264

Email //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Rates are 1000baht per day at time of this notice

As it would be, I was just looking into this this past Saturday for a freend in need

If you google up McKean or Dok Kaew there is also some very good information on the site.

They show that rates start at 21,500 B per month, but that includes quite a bit of services also..

Those with need or interest , its worth the google

Gonzo

Having known someone who went there and the caare they showed and the beautiful setting it may be well worth it for those who are frail or elderly who can no longer live in their own apartmets on their own

Having known someone who went there and the caare they showed and the beautiful setting it may be well worth it for those who are frail or elderly who can no longer live in their own apartmets on their own

Don't know about that Harry, but I'm giving it some thought for myself ..... that place down there is just so peaceful and serene.....beautiful setting ..... like a little world of its own within a world

I get the impression that Dok Gardens is more of a long-term care facility for semi-independent or alzheimer type patients or other patients who have chronic illnesses...

There is a difference between a hospice and long-term care faciility or SNF..

Either way, the concept is new in Thailand and there is no doubt with the number of old foreigners living here, the need will be there. Heck, it might even appeal to thais as their culture adopts more western trends...

Big thumbs up for this facility and I hope they make it....Will be interesting to watch this facility grow and change with market demands...

CB

I went out there to visit a fellow who needed care in recovering from a serious sickness. He assured me the care was excellent. While we were there a gentleman who had done the same thing came back for a visit.

They had just opened and were not sure what they were going to offer for TV viewing, wanted to wait and see what people wanted before they went and got it. Shows me they care.

The grounds are somewhere around 50 acres with lots of paths for walking. I am told they have a small hospital on the site. For myself I found it incredibly peaceful. They have about a dozen private apartments for rent. The price started at 21,000 for everything. If special care was needed it was available and would be added to the cost depending on what was needed. When I say everything I mean meals, housing they also take people into the city twice a week. There is a section set up for Alzheimer patients so I am quite sure they could look after a terminally ill person.

I highly recommend it. Take a look for yourself pictures do not do it Justice :)

Agree that it is a nice peaceful setting with caring people. I made a visit on my 91 yr old father's behalf and the place was deserted, but got a tour by the head of the facility and she seemed like a caring person. The two new buildings are well set-up with modern equipment and altho Christian based, it seemed 'neutral' in that I didn't see too many immages of religion.

I did end up ruling it out when my Pop was adament about wanting to spending his last days at home with family and I can respect that as that's what I would want the same for myself.

So.....are there any hospice services for those that would like to die at home?? If any one knows, please inform me by PM or on this topic.

Again , I hear nothing but the best about this whole center and complex.

Last week , a couple who I value as really good friends, were staying there as a couple while she was battling cancer. Unfortunately she passed away this past week. A very special lady. Husband was there with her the entire time and spoke nothing but positive about the project.

I do wish them much success with this much needed facility........ its probably like funeral arrangements, we know we will need them but do not like to think about things like that.

Those of you who knew our old buddy Abe, this complex was his last home beforing moving on...

Gonzo

Bottom line......where would you want to be in 'the end'?? At home with family or in an institution??

Not to bash McKean....it would be MY 1st choice if I didn't have family.....but as nice as it is, there is no place like home.

Bottom line......where would you want to be in 'the end'?? At home with family or in an institution??

Not to bash McKean....it would be MY 1st choice if I didn't have family.....but as nice as it is, there is no place like home.

So you wilol have your family being unable to get any sleep or prepare food because they must provide services for you 24hr a day. I know I would rather someone else did this and enabled my wife time to be near me when she can without her being exausted caring for me day and night.

I would rather be at McKean.

I in no way want to be a burden on my family. Lord knows I was a big enough burden on them when they were growing up. LOL ;)

I myself have been out to see the facility and no way does it feel like a institution.

I read some time ago about people looking for an hospice for a terminally ill person

Here is up to date info on Dokkaew Gardens at the McKean Rehabilitation Center Chiangmai

Perhaps a MOD could pin it to the pages of remembrance thread as it may be helpful to someone.

DOKKAEW GARDENS

McKEAN REHABILITATION CENTER

PO BOX 53 CHIANGMAI THAILAND 50000.

CONTACT BETH ROADARMEL,,PROJECT MANAGER

DOKKAEW GARDENS

053 124430-124263. EXT139 , FAX 053 124264

Email //e-mail removed as per forum rules//

Rates are 1000baht per day at time of this notice

http://www.facebook....54892&ref=share

It was my friend who needed it-and we get him there-but he is past away now.

I have post this link to other web sites and to the Embasy, so they know, if they needed it another time, in the future.

Brian.

So you wilol have your family being unable to get any sleep or prepare food because they must provide services for you 24hr a day. I know I would rather someone else did this and enabled my wife time to be near me when she can without her being exausted caring for me day and night.

One of the advantages of living in LOS is not only the old fashioned family values, but the fact that labor is cheap and I wouldn't be as much of a burden to my wife/children and extended family that I have supported for a decade so far and yes......I would like to be in famaliar surroundings with people that I know instead of being in a 'home' for the unwanted old farts.

Don't get me wrong......if I had to be stuck in a home, McKeans would be the place.

It's really nice to hear such positive comments about somewhere or service for a change.

We've all gotta go sometime so I suppose when my turn comes (if the traffic does not get me first) it sounds like the kinda place I would want to be at the end

Agree that it is a nice peaceful setting with caring people. I made a visit on my 91 yr old father's behalf and the place was deserted, but got a tour by the head of the facility and she seemed like a caring person. The two new buildings are well set-up with modern equipment and altho Christian based, it seemed 'neutral' in that I didn't see too many immages of religion.

I did end up ruling it out when my Pop was adament about wanting to spending his last days at home with family and I can respect that as that's what I would want the same for myself.

So.....are there any hospice services for those that would like to die at home?? If any one knows, please inform me by PM or on this topic.

There is a home nursing service available in Chiang Mai and I am told it has a great reputation, though of course expensive by some standards.

It is an Australian venture, within a Thai structure of course, and the very helpful Hon Consul of Australia Mike Walther has the details. I don't have his with me at present, sorry, but if you can find him you'll find them.