Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
tayto

Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai.

Speaking about the Mexican restaurant by the Overbrook Hospital, don´t eat there unless you´re a big fan of microwaves popping open or if you have a cold and can´t taste anything.

I say this because it´s ridiculous to pay Bangkok prices for a meal that you can easily make yourself, put in the freezer and 6 months later heat, eat and experience the true essence of what this restaurant has to offer.

If you have never tried Mexican food you probably won´t be disappointed (because you don´t know what to expect) but I´m sorry to say that the linguistic abilities of the lady has nothing to do with the quality of the food.

Why not wait until next time you´re in Bangkok on a Tuesday and try out Bourbon Street on soi 22 which has a buffet for about 250 baht with REAL Méxican food. Just a tip, you won´t get disappointed.

Actually, the western restaurants in Chiang Rai are very mediocre compared to what you can get elsewhere

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai. Anybody know of anywhere that serves good Mexican-style food in Chiang Rai? Yes, we CAN cook some Mexican dishes ourselves, and occasionly do that, but the whole point is to have someone else cook it.

Kay's restrurant is not real Mexican food, but i like it. Her pizzas aren't really pizzas, but i like them. One thing she really makes good is the salsa. I keep telling her to jar it and sell it. Anything different in this town is ok with me. :o

Ah, the best way is as usual to go somewhere by yourself to experience it. Trusting people on a web forum sometimes tends to be biased, especially for small towns like Chiang Rai but nevertheless bigger cities as well.

Doesn´t matter, as long as people like what they eat or experience it´s fine.

I would just like to add something. If the whole thing is that someone else makes the food, shouldn´t it be at least as tasty as you can do it yourself and reasonably priced? Otherwise, what´s the point?

i heard a rumor that chiang rai is finally going to get a REAL sandwich shop... and not one of the processed chain shops... keep your eyes open for it....

i heard a rumor that chiang rai is finally going to get a REAL sandwich shop... and not one of the processed chain shops... keep your eyes open for it....

nah.It's just a rumour.

Tried out the new night bazaar in Bandoo last night.

Terrible selection of food, nice music and setting but nobody there.

Left and went back to the original in Chiang Rai. The food is ok there but when we arrived, we had as usual, great difficulty getting a seat.

Eventually someone left and we got a table. But what a mess, sea shells all over the place, beer bottles, plates and fish bones under the table.

The waitress cleaned the table with the dirtiest rag I ever saw. I asked her to clean under the table but she said it wasn't her job and walked away.

Where do you complain? nowhere.

No, no problems with that. In fact I hardly care but you do and that´s fair enough with me. I´m well aware of Rajabhats history and the western teachers there. Back to topic perhaps?

Goski,

please do tell us more about your wise crack on Rachapat University.. It is a very good University and I happen to know many students that go there and they are all intelligent people. I also know a few of the western teachers that teach there during the terms (not summer courses) and they are good teachers.

I really dont want to digress of the topic but it has me absolutely baffled how one can make a statement like that.

As for culinerary delights. I like the Pat Thai at ha yak. If you are going towards the statue from the police station you need to stay on the right side of the road when the road splits into 2. you will pass a few stalls on the sidewalk and than will see an open air restaurant (about 30 metres from the statue), immediately beside that is in my opinion the best Pat Thai in town. opens in the afternoon.

enjoy

Edited by In the Rai!

No, no problems with that. In fact I hardly care but you do and that´s fair enough with me. I´m well aware of Rajabhats history and the western teachers there. Back to topic perhaps?

Goski,

please do tell us more about your wise crack on Rachapat University.. It is a very good University and I happen to know many students that go there and they are all intelligent people. I also know a few of the western teachers that teach there during the terms (not summer courses) and they are good teachers.

I really dont want to digress of the topic but it has me absolutely baffled how one can make a statement like that.

As the O.P and though I agree with you maybe this is off-topic.

Why not start a new thread..........Chiang rai schools/ Universities.

Yes, why not? I won´t reply to that anyway since I don´t understand why it is so tremendously important that jokes/sarcasm have to be explained in the most intricate way before someone actually can take it for what it is.

Rajabhat, Chulalongkorn, Mae Fha Luang etc. They are universities and let´s keep it at that then.

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai.

There are VERY few good Mexican restaurants in Asia, but Chiang Mai has recently been blessed with Miquel's which is authentic California style Mexican food which is many people's favorite.

The gracious host is Mike who started the famous Mike's Original Hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai. He often recites poetry, quotes the philosophers and plays classical music to keep the customers entertained. :o

If you are looking for the taste of authentic Mexican food, then no, the place by Overbrook isn't it. But if you're longing for something that tastes almost Mexican, then it's O.K. I'm sure there are many good Mexican cuisine restaurants in Chiang Mai and Bangkok, but we're talking about Chiang Rai.

There are VERY few good Mexican restaurants in Asia, but Chiang Mai has recently been blessed with Miquel's which is authentic California style Mexican food which is many people's favorite.

The gracious host is Mike who started the famous Mike's Original Hamburger chain here in Chiang Mai. He often recites poetry, quotes the philosophers and plays classical music to keep the customers entertained. :o

If His mexican is anything like his hamburgers it is sure to be great food. The burgers were fantastic!

I believe he has sold the burger joint though is that correct anyone?

Has anyone been to a relatively new restaurant on the way into CR from the airport on the lefthand side. It is a 2 story building before you get to the bridge. It is all lit up and it always seems to have a lot of people in it....

Can anyone comment on this or have heard about it?

cheers In The Rai!

If His mexican is anything like his hamburgers it is sure to be great food. The burgers were fantastic!

I believe he has sold the burger joint though is that correct anyone?

Talking about burgers.... Me and John were out on the bikes today and stopped at Barrys golfclub (the old airport) for hitting some golfballs and for lunch.

Barry has a new girl there that makes fantastic burgers with good bread, chips and a fantastic sallad!

Best burgers in Chiang Rai that I have had, I might even say the best burgers I have had in Thailand :o:D:D

:D I had the opportunity to go to the Chiangrai Resort? To find it you pass hamburger 1 in Bandu and Sinthanee 5 and keep going towards the mountain for about 7km's your will see a sign in red and white locating the Resort. I had the Pork Chops and WoW they actually prepared them properly!

Everyone enjoyed the Food and the service was good. They have a really big fish bond full of fish, if you ask they will give you food to feed them.

The place is off the beat and track but it's darn good food :o

:o You can complain at the Main office for the whole complex, they have english speaking staff and they do care! If you had gone there and pointed out the girl in question she may have changed her tune when she saw the managment. Sorry you had to sit near a mess, hope the food was ok :D

Tried out the new night bazaar in Bandoo last night.

Terrible selection of food, nice music and setting but nobody there.

Left and went back to the original in Chiang Rai. The food is ok there but when we arrived, we had as usual, great difficulty getting a seat.

Eventually someone left and we got a table. But what a mess, sea shells all over the place, beer bottles, plates and fish bones under the table.

The waitress cleaned the table with the dirtiest rag I ever saw. I asked her to clean under the table but she said it wasn't her job and walked away.

Where do you complain? nowhere.