Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation
tayto

Good Restaurants in Chiang Rai.

I was impressed with it as well; I hope it becomes more popular, it's nice to have it to ourselves but unfortunately that doesn't work for long.

The Condotel restaurant has been closed for a while so we called in yesterday for coffee and maybe lunch when we drove past and saw it had reopened.

Much to our surprise we were presented with a menu offering a selection of Maltese dishes.

I was more than willing to try the pasta or a pizza but my dining companion would not consider it.

I can only assume that the Maltese must have invaded his part of Europe back in Medieval times and he holds a grudge.

He never appreciated my "how do you make a Maltese Cross" joke either. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The Art Bridge restaurant is under new ownership, and the food is much worse off for it. It's now a 'Lanna Fusion' restaurant, which seems to just be northern Thai food. That would be fine if the new chef was as good as the old one, but it wasn't very nice. A shame, because we used to love it there.

• Like 1

Recently discovered a great little restaurant called Barrab.

It's about 100 meters from the Golden Clock Tower, heading West on the North Side of the Street.

The owner is really helpful, she lived in Australia for about 10 years so it's to be expected:)

Their Hang Lay curry is absolute heaven.

Do yourself a favour and have a look.

• Like 2

On 28/07/2016 at 6:48 PM, Bardeh said:

The Art Bridge restaurant is under new ownership, and the food is much worse off for it. It's now a 'Lanna Fusion' restaurant, which seems to just be northern Thai food. That would be fine if the new chef was as good as the old one, but it wasn't very nice. A shame, because we used to love it there.

We ate there today and didn't think the food was too bad.

Granted as first timers we had nothing previous to compare it to.

I'd certainly take people there to try Lanna food in small serves and well presented dishes at a reasonable price; 5 dishes and 4 coffees, 600B.

A bit surprised to see grated carrot in the SomTan, I suppose that was the fusion bit.... B)

On July 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM, villagefarang said:

It seems like Chivit Thamma Da just keeps getting better.

Chivit%2BThamma%2BDa%2B-%2B7.jpg

Chivit%2BThamma%2BDa%2B-%2B1.jpg

Village Farang, Looks tasty. Would those be sun dried tomatoes in that salad? 

As I suspect the etiquette may be to introduce oneself, hello, I am new to this forum.

I lived in Thailand a couple of decades ago and am visiting as I consider retiring here. The wife, who is Thai - but now a westernized one - is not as enthusiastic about this thinking as I am. I suspect some of you have been down this path.

Cheers,

DL

Edited by LD Lee
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LD Lee said:

As I suspect the etiquette may be to introduce oneself, hello, I am new to this forum.

I lived in Thailand a couple of decades ago and am visiting as I consider retiring here. The wife, who is Thai - but now a westernized one - is not as enthusiastic about this thinking as I am. I suspect some of you have been down this path.

Cheers,

DL

Welcome.  

Be sure to check out the other forums.  It will be worth your time.

Good luck on your visit.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Village Farang, Looks tasty. Would those be sun dried tomatoes in that salad? 

9 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Cheers,

DL

They do look a little like dried tomatoes but it is actually bacon.  Romain, cheese, cherry tomatoes, croutons and bacon with a Cesar dressing.

Your wife’s hesitation is very understandable, especially from someone who made a life for themselves overseas.  Reverse culture shock can be hard to overcome.  Thailand has modernized considerably but a woman will still feel some restraints and may find it hard to find friends who understand her life experiences.

While forums like this can provide some relief for you, they do absolutely nothing to help your wife.  I am sure that together you will work out something that works for both of you.

Welcome to Chiang Rai.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LD Lee said:

Cheers,

DL

Welcome to the forum.

Your wife may find that Chiang Rai has become westernized as well in the last two decades so it could work out.

Mine lived in Europe for a number of years, speaks German, English and some French and could not wait to get back here.

I suspect that, at the end of the day, it's all about the food. :rolleyes:

Edited by sceadugenga

Gents, Thanks for the welcome and feedback regarding possibly repatriating the spouse, though I unintentionally shifted us off topic. Bringing us back, I look forward to learning more about food, etc., from this forum.