Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Scaffolding In Front Of Central World Bangkok Collapses, Killing 2

phiphidon    602

The only thing I'm surprised of is that within 2-1/2 hours there are 80 replies to this topic. The article on 'Red Power' magazine only has 23 in seven hours. Either a slow day, or the political engaged are not awake yet ;)

Probably because most of the politically engaged posters (of whatever persuasion) think that this is probably just a tragic accident, the full details of which have not yet been released. Some posters (and I am not referring to you, Rubi) however, seem to be pushing cause and effect to the utmost. The butterfly effect and its link with chaos theory comes to mind? RIP to those killed and a speedy recovery to the injured.

random    33

I am getting worried, this is twice you have agreed with me today :D

In my defense, I didn't completely agree with you. :lol:

:D

hansnl    2,661
I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

What did the red shirts have to do with it?

If......

The red shirts had not firebombed the building.......

There would not be any (re)building necessary......

There would not have been any scaffolding necessary.......

Which might fall down (and did) for any imaginable kind of reason, as there are.........

random    33
I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

If......

The red shirts had not firebombed the building.......

There would not be any (re)building necessary......

There would not have been any scaffolding necessary.......

Which might fall down (and did) for any imaginable kind of reason, as there are.........

We have already discussed a chain of causation, and that was broken long ago my friend, or if you wish we can take the chain back to the coup and lay the blame there.

hansnl    2,661

and if the building was never constructed the red shirts could not have burned it down, etc etc etc

You should have been a lawyer! "Your Honor. If the bank was never built my client wouldn't have help it up therefore it's the banks fault!"

You seem to forget that these repairs were required as a direct result of a criminal act therefore some blame has to lie with the perpetrators.

Not at all, the chain of causation would have been broken a long time ago, the cause of this accident was not the fact a building burnt down (as yet we we still don't know who torched it, there are conflicting versions), the cause of this accident was based on either the failure of the scaffold or human error in it's construction.

I have said it a couple of times in here, but to blame the reds for this is simply pathetic.

The reason for my comment about not being built was to point out the stupidity of the argument, if it wasn't built, if there wasn't a coup, if thaksin wasn't born, if the airports were not taken over etc etc etc.

How far back do we want to take this chain of causation? if it wasn't for the coup then the reds would not have been out etc etc etc, do you see how pointless it is?

Now if an of you legal eagles would like to show me the chain of causation I will happily show you a break in the chain of causation.

If you know something about history you would know that things happened in the past can spread their influence for a very long time.

Legally?

Ah legally!

Legal is just like justice.

Something written down but not really understood.

Not by those who wrote it, not by those who have to use it.

And how far you must go back you ask.

Something that happened 1-2 years ago is a very short time ago.

If people are condemned or executed for crimes 20-30 years after the deed, I think that people can be blamed, if even only morally, for deeds done 1-2 years ago.

mufcsamui    23

If the red shirts hadn't burned it down - they wouldn't have scaffolding around it to repair it. Pretty obvious I would have thought?:blink:

and if the building was never constructed the red shirts could not have burned it down, etc etc etc

Try to remember the Red Shirts are to blame for everything that is wrong in Thailand

rixalex    3,543

I have said it a couple of times in here, but to blame the reds for this is simply pathetic.

Suppose that vandals burnt down your house and in the process of you rebuilding it, there was an accident that killed your nearest and dearest. Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't lay any of the blame for the tragedy at the feet of the vandals?

rixalex    3,543

Try to remember the Red Shirts are to blame for everything that is wrong in Thailand

I thought it was the elite...

random    33

Suppose that vandals burnt down your house and in the process of you rebuilding it, there was an accident that killed your nearest and dearest. Are you seriously telling me that you wouldn't lay any of the blame for the tragedy at the feet of the vandals?

of course not, I would blame the person for the error that caused the death, as for the vandals i would blame them for burning the house down, I guess you would want me to blame them for not winning the lottery, poor tv reception etc etc.

There is a chain of causation, why blame someone for something that is clearly someone elses fault. Are you one of these people that goes through life blaming everyone else, even when the mistake is yours? As I said If people want to blame the redshirts then lets take it back further and look at why the redshirts were there, lets go back to the yellows, or the coup, or thaksins birth, how far do you want to take this nonsense?

thaihome    1,064

I wonder how it collapsed, poor construction of the scaffold or corrosion, my money would be on the first one. I would not go on a building site in this country for love nor money.

That makes two of us, OSHA would have a field day here in this country, probably close almost all construction sites down for unsafe practices.:blink:

Actually that is completely incorrect and is only your personal observation based on seeing a small percentage of the construction taking place in Thailand. This is compounded by the fact that the small percentage you do see is in the commercial and residential sector which is always the last to incorporate high safety standards.

What I see today in those sectors is very similar to the standards I encountered when I started in construction in mid 1970s.

I have personal knowledge of industrial sites in Thailand that have worked in excess of tens of millions of hours over the past 10 years with safety records that are past any OSHA standards. But unfortunately, the commercial and residential sectors have lagged behind, but continue to show improvement.

TH

trainman34014    5,634

I thought it was the elite...

Wrong again........Farang are to blame for everything.

RIP the poor lads who have died as a result of another typical screw-up in the Land Of Screw-Ups.

rixalex    3,543

of course not, I would blame the person for the error that caused the death, as for the vandals i would blame them for burning the house down,

"Of course not" is i think not a terribly honest answer.

Unless you are not human.

whybother    8,255

of course not, I would blame the person for the error that caused the death, as for the vandals i would blame them for burning the house down,

"Of course not" is i think not a terribly honest answer.

Unless you are not human.

An honest answer would be that he would blame anyone that came within shouting distance. But that doesn't make it their fault.

lovenim    0

Or someone took out random bolts to sell them. The Thais will often steal 3 bolts out of a 4 bolt light post, leaving 1 holding the light post up.

appalling... but understandable. consider the distribution of wealth in this country... if I were poor I too would steal from the rich where i can. only normal.

so, in that line if logic, do not blame the red shirts whose fault it is that the building is under construction but the yellow shirts whose fault it is that there are so many poor.