Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Phuket Tuk-Tuks Protest Patong One-Way

63 posts in this topic

Phuket tuk-tuks protest Patong one-way

med_gallery_327_1086_29845.jpg

The sign says: "One-way system like this: A man’s thought?

Or a Buffalo’s?" [NB: To call a person a buffalo is an extreme insult in Thai.]

med_gallery_327_1086_36987.jpg

The tuk-tuk drivers called for change – soon.

PHUKET: -- More than 100 Phuket tuk-tuk drivers staged a protest at Kathu Police Station this afternoon, calling for changes to be made to the new one-way system in Patong.

To hear their grievances, Kathu Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Kittipong Klaikaew jammed 45 of them into a meeting room at the station.

Mardlee “Bang Lee” Sawangpon, 56, spoke on behalf of the drivers as “advising president” of an independent band of drivers who call themselves the Tuk Tuk Club. This group is not a part of the Patong Taxi Federation run by Preechavude “Prab” Keesin.

“I have been on the road for 23 years and I know a lot about traffic – and, for sure, the current system is making traffic jams worse,” Mr Mardlee said.

“I know the previous system was strange and it confused tourists. Even I nearly hit a BMW once, but this one is making traffic worse,” he added.

Kathu Traffic Police Chief Lt Col Jakkawat Boontawegunsawat explained to the drivers that, “the present system is in its ‘test phase’ for one month [starting January 15].

“After that we will have a public hearing to get feedback from all people who use the road before making any final changes to the road system.”

However, the drivers said they wanted confirmation that the current system will not remain until the test phase is over.

They even presented Lt Col Kittipong a draft plan of what they propose the system to be.

The plan showed the traffic flow almost exactly as it was years ago. In that configuration, the traffic headed south along the beach road and north along the parallel main artery Rat-U-Thit 200 Pi Road, with all streets in between the two being two-way, except for Prabaramee Road and Prachanukroh Road at the northern and southern ends of Patong's central traffic grid.

Lt Col Jakkawat said he would arrange for the drivers to join a meeting on Monday to be attended by officers from Patong Municipality and Kathu Police.

He also asked them to bring their draft plan and a letter formally requesting the changes to be made so they can be presented to Patong Mayor Pian Keesin or his representative at the meeting.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2011-01-29

I had a thought...What if we offer the Tuk Tuk drivers Bangkok style meter system at the same rates as bangkok or the one way system:) I wonder how many would be sitting in the meeting then..lol

I have been on the road for 23 years and I know a lot about traffic - and still don't know sh_t about driving.

the scum of thailand all in one room together - not one with an education of any sort ! non of them pay income tax - who do they think they are ? wake up thailand, time to introduce a new generation of younger taxi drivers in colorful hawaii style friendly shirts with a regulated meter system. land of smiles - not in patong :(

The form of one-way system these drivers are asking for actually makes the most sense.

I had a thought...What if we offer the Tuk Tuk drivers Bangkok style meter system at the same rates as bangkok or the one way system:) I wonder how many would be sitting in the meeting then..lol

Meanwhile, Patong still "stinks" and the road conditions,(potholes) are a disgrace, and the traffic light still does not work! The traffic light has been installed for over a year now, and still does not work. Way to go Thailand! No wonder tourist numbers are down. It's not rocket science.

It takes a very smart person to design proper traffic flow. Last I looked, he wasn't a Tuk Tuk driver!

dam_n where did i leave my grenade? whistling.gif

You must have been sleeping, you had them all in one room too. :lol:

Meanwhile, Patong still "stinks" and the road conditions,(potholes) are a disgrace, and the traffic light still does not work! The traffic light has been installed for over a year now, and still does not work. Way to go Thailand! No wonder tourist numbers are down. It's not rocket science.

Yes....of course! (slaps fore-head). Tourist numbers are down because of pot-holes and one non-functioning traffic light.

And there I was thinking it was the unfavourable exchange rate and the general down-turn in world economies that was responsible.

Thank you so much for enlightening those of us that don't work in the science of rocketry.

A big problem with going north on Rat yu tit will be the massive tail back that will occur at the stoplight T-junction

the scum of thailand all in one room together - not one with an education of any sort ! non of them pay income tax - who do they think they are ? wake up thailand, time to introduce a new generation of younger taxi drivers in colorful hawaii style friendly shirts with a regulated meter system. land of smiles - not in patong :(

While one of the Mayor's sons is running the majority of Patong tuk-tuks? I do not think so! LoS = Land of Scams

And of course the decisions to make all one way was BiB - and they have such a great rack record - look at the successes in Bangkok - 20 minutes at intersections of traffic lights controlled by idiots on cell phones with no idea of traffic management. Never ceases to amaze me... T I T But we love it anyway.

Spot the low life 'Buffalo'!

Clue; They are usually drunk, in little red vehicles, ripping tourists off, when they are not beating them upbah.gif