Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChenWan

Left Thailand Without Exit Stamp And Exit Card Still In Passport

what a mess, but i'm sure it could be cleared up, a new passport would be a good start. on entry keep the old boarding passes just in case they find the wifes details on the computer.

Don't keep away from thailand.

Don't listen to the posts saying just get a new passport, Thailand immigration is mainly online except some remote land border crossings, but even them border crossings input their data onto a computer on a daily basis. When you leave Thailand all the immigration officer at the airport does is enter your departure card number in the computer and depart you from Thailand, when you enter your passport is biometricly scanned, it will capture your passport number, name & date of birth, these will all be checked, against the immigration computer including any blacklists. It will show a red flag as the the name and date of birth would be a match, and they would look deeper as to double check you are the same person, so they would check the photo, and then your screwed again.

You cannot choose not to enter Thailand! with the exception of deportation, its a one way channel only!

Can someone please explain to me how an "arriving" passenger will be detained for "overstay" ??

Seems to some over reaction on this thraead.

Since the OP has now explained that they left as a family group it is likely that the IMM officer already processed the departure card online and it seems to me the airline is the one who collects the departure card because it is stapled to the part of the Boarding pass the airline collects when you board.

Also as previously posted a new visa is evidence that his wife left the country, as is the Boarding pass.

ANd as for the statement that tracking in Thailand is done by passport number - Not true! It is done by both - ie: passort number ad name, Plus it is done by the TM number - the number on the Arrival/departure card.

OP, if you cannot get answer from your Embassy (which i think you probably wont) keep all the documentation with you and on arrival go to the Immigration Office (not the counters the actual Office) on the arrivals side and explain your case to the Supervisor. If in doubt be upfront and ask.

How do I know ? This happended to me on one of my many trips almost weekly to LOS. So I did what i say, went to the Immigration Supervisors office (airside) when i landed back in Bangkok , explained, they looked up computer - answer no problem ! The immigration staff then proceeded to process my arrival and I was out of there through the VIP entrance in about 10minutes.

Thank you very much. I will folow your advice and contact the Immigrations Supervisors Office first.

There is no need for a new Passport. That just looks like you ARE trying to cover up something to the officer - IF something happens to pop up on his screen.

On arrival, (with all the old documents including the boarding pass) go to the Immigration Supervisors office (airside) and explain. This shows you are NOT trying to hide anything.

The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.

Non sense - the immigration deskofficer processes your departure ONLINE when you stand in fron tof him/her, he/she then staples the departure card to the boarding pass (the peice kept by the airline) and gives you back your Passport and boardingpass with departure card attached. When you board your flight the airline staff tear of there peice of the Boarding pass with departure card attached and you keep your part of the boardingpass.

This Topic is three years old but may help.

went to immigration with a big smile,the immigration officer took one look at my passport and said sorry for the mistake again I say TY to all and sundry for the advice(and the moral of the story is always check your passport)again thanks

The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.

Agreed, but if you recall the process when you fly out of Swampy, Immigration does its thing and then staples the departure card to the boarding pass, both of which are collected by airline staff as you board, presumably the departure card is then passed back to Immigration for, ahem, safe keeping! It was on the basis of all that why I couldn't understand the scenario presented by the OP.

<BR>
<BR>The airlines in Thailand do not retain the departure card, it should be immigration that do that.<BR>
<BR><BR>Agreed, but if you recall the process when you fly out of Swampy, Immigration does its thing and then staples the departure card to the boarding pass, both of which are collected by airline staff as you board, presumably the departure card is then passed back to Immigration for, ahem, safe keeping! It was on the basis of all that why I couldn't understand the scenario presented by the OP.<BR>
<BR>But this is what happend. I still have the exit card nd the exit stamp is missing. I also emailed the thai immigration. The answer is: we might have a problem. We need to enter the same border when we left. A IMM Officer will solve this for us.<BR><BR><BR>

Non sense - the immigration deskofficer processes your departure ONLINE when you stand in fron tof him/her, he/she then staples the departure card to the boarding pass (the peice kept by the airline) and gives you back your Passport and boardingpass with departure card attached. When you board your flight the airline staff tear of there peice of the Boarding pass with departure card attached and you keep your part of the boardingpass.

I have left Thailand from Swampy & Phuket on many occasions, and my departure card has always been taken by immigration, and not given back to me, Immigration have never even asked for my bording pass. I just had over my passport he does his business and thats it, im given my passport back only! Non Sense they give it back!!!

I fly out of BKK approximately every month, and each time, the immigration officer keeps the departure card. Unlike other countries, it is not stapled to the boarding pass for the airline to hand it back to immigration.

I cannot imagine a scenario in which the immigration officer forgot to take the card or stamp the passport, but maybe it was very early in the morning or very late in the evening. I have learned to never rule anything out. As tourists, you might not be aware of the procedures and that you have to actually look into the passport to ensure that the stamp is there, but you are indeed responsible if there is a mistake.

If the immigration officer didn't take the card, it is possible that he also didn't enter the departure into the computer. And this is what makes the difference: If the departure is in the computer, all is fine. If not, there will be trouble. This is where I have to admit that I never heard of a case where this happened. In fact, if she is still in the computer as being in Thailand, she must be arrested for overstay when found - even if she is found while entering the country. Because then, it means that she left the country illegally. And that spells trouble.

You don't know what the computer says, and whether the nice immigration officer at departure updated it to show that she left. But that is the important part, I believe.

Embassies are under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while immigration is under the Ministry of the Interior. Therefore, and to make matters worse, I don't even think the Thai embassy in Vienna can help you - but then, I am not a lawyer.

Best is if she changes her name, dob, and nationality. That's not a serious advice, of course. But I would expect trouble upon arrival, and have all documents ready you can think of. Also, the Austrian embassy in Thailand is very helpful, and it may make sense to alert them in advance. If she gets arrested upon entry, the embassy will be notified anyway, so it is good to prepare them.

Gee, whenever you travel (and not only to Thailand, it's a general rule) make sure you get the passport stamped. It's really the basic ABC of travelling. But I guess you kow that by now.

I think TombKK's post above sums up the situation best. Also, having thought about it I now agree that BKK Immigration does indeed take the Departure Card whereas many other countries staple it and allow the airline to collect it.