Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

brommers

Racism

transam    24,519

Jing I'm just wondering how you would react to a line of brushes called "Gayman" ?

Depends on the handle shape, l wager. :huh::lol:

cardholder    980

Jing I'm just wondering how you would react to a line of brushes called "Gayman" ?

The mind boggles !

transam    24,519

The mind boggles !

Depends on the shape. :lol:

bifftastic    678

African men in Thailand wouldn't be granted WORK PERMITS to do cleaning work in Thailand.

So the products are stereotyping a group of people to do this lower level work in a country where you never see them doing this lower level work?

It really doesn't mean the same thing it would in a western country racialized on black-white grounds.

Next ...

Exactly :)

bridge    4

It's political correctness that ruined Golliwog biscuits (I use to love them) now they are known as dam_n Scalliwag's. They just done taste the same anymore.

355493_large.jpg

scalliwag.jpg

transam    24,519

It's political correctness that ruined Golliwog biscuits (I use to love them) now they are known as dam_n Scalliwag's. They just done taste the same anymore.

355493_large.jpg

scalliwag.jpg

Exactly :)

BUT, call them white mans fancy, NOOOOOO problem eh. :)

I once saw a boy in Carrefour wearing a t-shirt with NSDAP (and the full text of what it stands for in German) along with a big swastika.

Now THAT can be called offensive.

But I am quite sure the poor boy didn't have a clue what kind of shirt he was wearing.......

Not necessarily. The Swastika design was stolen from Tibetian buddhists who considered it sacred geometry or something.

It's too bad the sign has a bad association now because its a cool shape.

Swatika wiki

Sparkles    2,255

Swastika Bungalows, at Sanur Beach, in Bali, is my favourite place to stay along with many other folk including people from all over Europe .In the Hindu culture it,of course, means something totally different, the meaning of which I can't remember but the resort has been there for 20 years at least.They sell quite a nice polo shirt with the name on the crest.

bully    1

Sorry nothing better to think about, we are living in a different century. Poor you.

transam    24,519

Swastika Bungalows, at Sanur Beach, in Bali, is my favourite place to stay along with many other folk including people from all over Europe .In the Hindu culture it,of course, means something totally different, the meaning of which I can't remember but the resort has been there for 20 years at least.They sell quite a nice polo shirt with the name on the crest.

Run by the SS eh.:rolleyes:

Weeeeeell, most disappeared somewhere eh. :huh:

whatsupdoc    136

I once saw a boy in Carrefour wearing a t-shirt with NSDAP (and the full text of what it stands for in German) along with a big swastika.

But I am quite sure the poor boy didn't have a clue what kind of shirt he was wearing.......

Not necessarily. The Swastika design was stolen from Tibetian buddhists who considered it sacred geometry or something.

Swatika wiki

I always thought that the orientation of the swastika symbol used by the Nazi's was opposite to the Hindu one, but apparently in the latter case both orientations were used.

The case of the T-shirt was clear though, especially in combination with NSDAP.

Swatika wiki

I always thought that the orientation of the swastika symbol used by the Nazi's was opposite to the Hindu one, but apparently in the latter case both orientations were used.

The case of the T-shirt was clear though, especially in combination with NSDAP.

I see asian people wearing english shirts and obviously not clear on what it means. Goes the opposite way with westerners who get Tattoo's with Chinese characters.

The guy or company that made the shirt should know better but maybe not. It's bad taste even if by mistake. Do some research before selling product.

They are getting closer with Iphone applications that allow the user to point at a sign/paper etc and will automagically translate. Haven't seen it for Thai yet but it's coming.. Will be a nice tool for those not literate in languages.

jackers    1

Well Brommers I applaud you for your stance but I think

1. Your fighting a losing battle from the word go. Thailand and many other countries in the region are very backward on race issues and it's not going to change any time soon. Dark skin bad, light skin good, no doubt someone will say it has nothing to do racism with at all, it's to do with wealth and poverty rather than race but that's just being blind. I think you're better off fighting the battle somewhere else.
  2. Kind of a waste of time posting this here as you can seen from some of the replies, there are some posters who wouldn't know what racism was if it kicked them in the face and many don't give toss anyway. Some of these expats are far more racist than your average Thai.

powderpuff    6

You should have seen all the Osama Bin Laden t shirts after 9-11 down around Soi 3. More than one or 2 Arabs got their asses kicked.

The Thais were oblivious.

Ever notice how popular the mass murderer Che Guevara is?