KunMatt

What Level Of Speaking And Writing Thai Are You At?

119 posts in this topic

1. What level are you at?

There are no levels; there’s only your ability to understand and successfully communicate from one time to the next. Out and about, I have about a 90% success rate, but that’s because I’m rarely in situations that I haven’t already learned how to deal with. At home, where my family mostly speak Thai among themselves, I’d say I get about 30% of what’s being said. I have a couple of school age kids, and they’re forever coming out with vocab and expressions you’ll never find in any book (thai or english). Sometimes I pick these up, but I’d guess for everyone I pick up there’s ten that I don’t even notice.

2. Can you read and write Thai?

Yup, but I can’t always make sense of what I read even if I know all the words (or look them up). Newspapers are beyond me, and my level of reading is not as good as it once was. Regular practice is the key. Use it or lose it.

3. How long have you been learning Thai?

Learned my first Thai words in 1995, but like most others who’ve posted here, I’ve been in and out of regular use/practice ever since.

4. How did you learn?

Self study, couple of months at a union school, then not much more than passive absorption. ‘The osmosis’ method - don’t recommend it!

5. What other languages could you speak before Thai?

None. I think the greatest thing that Thai has taught me is that I could learn any European language fairly quicker. I’d know how to go about i and what the difficulties are.

A few miscellaneous notes:

The more Thai you learn, the more you will realise how much there is to learn. Stop striving for ‘fluency’ and strive to extend what you already know. There are some people who’ve probably mastered the language, Ricker, David Long at AuA, Andrew Biggs to throw out a couple of the more famous names, but I long ago settled to the fact that I don’t have the time or the dedication to ever hope to get to that level. Undoubtedly, I need to extend myself and break the comfort zone if I want to improve, but in my experience, most people stop learning anything when they master it at a level that meets their needs. If you have the need, you’ll get there. Mother and necessity and invention and all that.

Good luck. I don’t believe Thai is any harder or easier than any other language, but I do think living in BKK presents a peculiar challenge for most foreigners. As others have said, and I know people that have done this too, going to Laos or the outer reaches of Isaan, if circumstances should afford you the opportunity, is a real way to immerse yourself and get the learning opportunities you need. In BKK, you’ve really got to put in some extra effort to both force yourself into Thai-only situations and make a determination not to speak English even when you can.

My 2cents.

1 person likes this

Great thread

1.What level are you at?

Probably intermediate but used to be a bit more advanced than that. My problem is I don't spend enough time in Thailand anymore. I used to live in Asia and was regularly in Thailand but I have been in the Middle East for 12 years so it's more difficult for me in keeping my fluency up, I simply don't get the time to practice. I had a Thai girlfriend out here for a bit and its so much easier in terms of learning (without wishing to sound selfish :D) but I don't have time to hit the books ...

Yes. My reading is probably better than my speaking to be honest. Even though I rarely practice these days (:() it still comes back to me when I am in Thailand and I enjoy it, like I said, just not enough time. The listening part is very difficult for me, this is covered in another thread which I have been reading on here though, interesting.

3. How long have you been learning for?

On and off for 15 years perhaps but that said it's more like 2 or 3 years of really, really learning a lot and then 9 or 10 of kind of regressing!

4. How did you learn?

I used 'Teach yourself Thai' from David Smyth, excellent book, taught myself the writing system. I used some tape stuff but at the time I was learning the tape stuff was a lot more basic than these kinds of books. Used the Paiboon type books, short stories with vocab, excellent and worked up to advanced before, yep, regressing. Got the big 'ol stanford dictionary.

I used to carry a pen and paper with me everywhere. When I saw words I didn't know I'd write them down and check them all later in my dictionary. I'd take a few words from the dictionary and decide I would use them today. I'd sometimes get a few sentences together on a particular (simple) topic and then work the conversation around to me being able to use them each day.

I'd read through the dictionary, learn words and sentences and their origins, I had a idiomatic dictionary too, I'd cross reference between all the books I had.

I have come to the conclusion that being totally immersed for 5 or 6 months in a proper school environment is much more useful in the longer term and then building on that. Perhaps I'll do that sometime, if I'd done that back then perhaps I wouldn't have regressed as much but that said, it's amazing how much it comes back when I am back in Thailand

English and native speaker, a few words of Cantonese and stuff like that ... I think to be successful you really have to want to learn, not like French at school where you may feel it forced onto you. At the time I started learning I was well into it, had I been living in Thailand at the time who knows what level I'd be at as the enthusiasm and work rate was there.

What level are you at?

Really I don't know, but I guess high, all my conversation in the past 14 years, has been only in Thai.

Not a single word in English, wife & mia noi's, they say all, very hard for them, to accept I'm farang.

Yeah, 95% of every-day words, 90 % of sign's form's, & TV subtitle speed-catch 80%, writing forgot, never used, wasted some time on learning that.

Abt 15 yrs, quit learning 10 yrs ago, enough Thai capabilities for a comfortable living.

4. How did you learn?

Self-learning, 30- 15 yrs ago, AUA 9 books done

English, Swedish.

1.What level are you at?

I would say very basic.

I have just started learning to read and write. I have managed to learn the first 10 letters in 2 days (writing them as well). About 5 hrs. Only due to the fact I couldn't pronounce The snake one. Sorry haven't got a Thai keyboard. My goal is to learn all the consonants by the end of the month. Maybe a bit ambitious.

On and off for the last 3 years. Meaning, if you added all the time together, it would add to about 72 hrs.

4. How did you learn?

I have books that I have read through. Didn't really pick up on much because I was worried I would start to pronounce things wrong. It's hard to get out of bad habits.

I tried to find someone to teach me, on a one to one basis but struggled because of where I was located in the UK. Now I have finally got my wife living with me, she is teaching me. Learning has become easier and least I know I'm pronouncing words and letters correctly.

Native English.

ID: 55   Posted (edited)

...........edited for essentials...

It's got nothing to do with the fact you're speaking Thai with a foreign accent.

Believe me, no matter what you think or how many compliments you've gotten from these totally over complimentary people about your Thai language ability........

The real reason they didn't understand you is because they saw you as a foreigner, made a judgment call that you most likely can't speak Thai .......

I've NEVER EVER had a problem speaking with and being understood by a 'strange Thai' (one I've never met before B) ), even up-country in a "one buffalo village". Rather than just approaching 'em and asking in Thai what ever it is I wanna know, I do what I mentioned on the forum before and what I call "the-thai-language-dance".

What is the 'thai-language-dance'? It's where you approach a strange Thai and say stuff IN Thai like; "Hello, how are you?", "I'm a foreigner, but I can speak Thai." "Can you understand me?" Other mindless and equally meaningless pleasantries can be exchanged before you jump into the topic of what you really want.

I've found slightly self-deprecating stuff plays well with Thais and can 'break the ice', which is why I always tell them I speak with a strange accent.

I'm perfectly contented to be an American who happens to be able to speak something which passes for Thai (with an American accent) ;).

Agree fully with this, most of the time things just turn out to be exactly like this, some strange class thinking is one major point too (see the wai)!

But hey, I am quite content with being understood where it is needed, welcomed and maybe sometimes wanted... the rest, ah' well.. you know... who get's off on such Kindergarden play and behavior.. isn't far of it him/herself I think it's big BS!

the rest is easy going!

And yes, I would say after about 2 decades here, I speak rudmentary thai, but alwaysgot what I wanted and where I wanted to go, so what?

Good and deeper conversations I usually have with non-thai people, does anyone ever has discussed Politics, Economics, Plato, Aristotle or even Buddha's teachings with a thai?

I hate if a conversation is all about "stripping" you: "Income, Wife, Spouse, how many others beside her.. like to go "massage", how mant times a day... children, position... drinking... socker.." well and this is exactly not my piece of pie!

And if somenone praises your "beautiful thai language skills" then one can be sure it's no praise at all! I hate this too.... it's back stabbing at it's finest, subtle intrigue thai style... telling everyone around you what an idiot you are with a smile in their face and dare of the Farang nod's, smiles back and underlines what just has been said about him - if this happens I let the people instantaneously know that "my thai is just "cr_p" or just walk off.... yeah' different folks, thats for sure, and of course not ALL but many!

Edited by Samuian
1 person likes this

<snip!>

Agree fully with this, most of the time things just turn out to be exactly like this, some strange class thinking is one major point too (see the wai)!

But hey, I am quite content with being understood where it is needed, welcomed and maybe sometimes wanted... the rest, ah' well.. you know... who get's off on such Kindergarden play and behavior.. isn't far of it him/herself I think it's big BS!

the rest is easy going!

And yes, I would say after about 2 decades here, I speak rudmentary thai, but alwaysgot what I wanted and where I wanted to go, so what?

Good and deeper conversations I usually have with non-thai people, does anyone ever has discussed Politics, Economics, Plato, Aristotle or even Buddha's teachings with a thai?

I hate if a conversation is all about "stripping" you: "Income, Wife, Spouse, how many others beside her.. like to go "massage", how mant times a day... children, position... drinking... socker.." well and this is exactly not my piece of pie!

And if somenone praises your "beautiful thai language skills" then one can be sure it's no praise at all! I hate this too.... it's back stabbing at it's finest, subtle intrigue thai style... telling everyone around you what an idiot you are with a smile in their face and dare of the Farang nod's, smiles back and underlines what just has been said about him - if this happens I let the people instantaneously know that "my thai is just "cr_p" or just walk off.... yeah' different folks, thats for sure, and of course not ALL but many!

Sounds like Thailand has natured the best of you and made you a truely happy and content person for all your time here! Just kidding, you are pretty much the image of the long term farang I strive not to become when I grow up!!

Anyways, back to the topic. It's been 3 months since I started this thread after I had what can only be described as a crisis of confidence and was about to give up with the Thai language after I felt I wasn't getting anywhere and was considering that it may be impossible for certain people, such as myself. From the support and help given in this thread I adopted some different techniques and tried some things I didn't know about and honestly my Thai is probably 50x better than it was when I started this thread. I would now say I am finally at beginner level!

I found using Anki flash cards improved my vocab a LOT in the beginning, it's probably the best system if you are going to do a test on something, after several sessions with the same deck I kinda felt like I was just learning the questions more and anticipating what was in the deck more than I was learning any real Thai but it was a definitely help to start off with.

I also started listening to a lot of Thai rock music and watching concerts in my spare time (at work!). Having an interest like this meant I was thinking about the language a lot more than just during my own lessons and study times, it's also given me another thing about Thailand which I now love.

I finally finished "Thai for Beginners" more than a year after buying it, I tried several times in the last year but always gave up after the first couple of lessons as nothing was getting in. Looking back I wasn't ready to start that book from fresh and I feel that I needed more of a base for the language before I could even start that book. Once I had a bit more of the basics behind me and tried to do the book in a more academic method I got much more out of it than I did the other 5 times I tried to get through it. I also brought the "Intermediate Thai" book and CD beforehand so it would pressure myself into finishing the beginner course, it seemed to work. I put some hard study in for each lesson followed up with a revision session so the whole book took me more than 20 hours of serious study, I never tried as hard as I did this time to study Thai, or any language for that matter.

I went through the whole beginner book using Thai script only and ignoring their system of phonetics and, it wasn't easy towards the end, I got through it fine. I remember when I first listened to the first 3 chapter CDs without the book I was struggling to keep up with the conversations or follow what was going on and the people talking were so fast that it was frustrating but after going back and re-listening to them today I could understand and keep up with every single word. The conversations in lesson 10 are still my limit and I get lost and have to pause to catch up in my head but I'm sure I will progress and look back on them with the same ease I now do with the first few chapters.

So in conclusion to my original post and for anyone who is feeling like I was feeling when I felt the need to start this thread, I'm glad I never gave up on the Thai language as I am now at a point where things start to be sticking and making sense. I'm still just book taught with the basics and it will take much longer to be able to tune my ears into real conversations or be able to pronounce anything properly or, hopefully, even fluently but the whole point of this thread was to be able to find out how everyone else is trying to learn in their own ways and how much progress they are making with it.

So thanks again to all for the replies and help, I'm disappointed the member tod-daniels got banned (for what?) as he was a great help to me in this thread. Keep the info coming everyone as I'm sure it will help other disillusioned starters too. :jap:

ID: 57   Posted (edited)

I'm disappointed the member tod-daniels got banned (for what?) as he was a great help to me in this thread.

I don't expect this post will survive for long...and in the same vein I expect it to be my last contribution (and visit) to this site.

I was once a regular contributor to this the lang' forum, but voluntarily 'banned myself' after being read the riot act by an overzealous moderator.

Well, I kind of sneaked back under a new name as I missed the place, but can't help noticing that what was previously a vibrant forum for Thal lang' learners has turned into a ghost town. Learning that they banned tod-daniels — one of the most helpful, amusing, and genuinely colorful characters that made the forum what it was — just shows admin has lost its way. Maybe time the site admin looked at what happened to Friendster...a once vibrant site that died a death when the mods and owners pissed off all the contributors that made the place worth visiting.

Over and out. Don't bother to ban me, I'm banning myself — for good this time. I have a feeling I know where all the decent members have gone to.

CU all there.

Edited by badmedicine
1 person likes this

ID: 58   Posted (edited)

I'm disappointed the member tod-daniels got banned (for what?) as he was a great help to me in this thread.

I don't expect this post will survive for long...and in the same vein I expect it to be my last contribution (and visit) to this site.

I was once a regular contributor to this the lang' forum, but voluntarily 'banned myself' after being read the riot act by an overzealous moderator.

Tod was banned for writing excellent reviews - but - not having anything good to say about the School he attended for a year - when he still needed an Ed Visa.

Edited by Parvis

Tod was banned for writing excellent reviews - but - not having anything good to say about the School he attended for a year - when he still needed an Ed Visa.

I'm more confused than ever! :ermm:

I'm more confused than ever! :ermm:

Yeah, me too! Tod was an excellent member of this forum. He helped me a lot, whether he knew it or not, I'm not sure!

And thanks to KunMatt for starting this thread, it too has encouraged me with my learning.

Which has improved, somewhat. I can now read Thai script reasonably well, there are still many many words that I don't understand, but I can read them! :lol:

I must admit that this language forum has lost something of it's vibrancy recently. I hardly ever read it now, there's nothing to read really other than the occasional request from someone to translate what their g/f wrote on Facebook!

Shame really, I used to enjoy it

Bring back Tod Daniels!

ID: 61   Posted (edited)

Speaking: Fluent to the point where people are shocked.

Hearing: I can follow everything except the news and "royal speak".

Reading: A wee bit. I can read road signs and warning signs.

Writing: Nope

How I got there: My mom is Thai, yet most mixed races, in fact everyone I know, don't speak Thai. Thai-Dutch: nope, Thai-Japanese: nope, Thai-Swiss: nope.

I think it's because I was raised with a close bond to momma, and a Thai maid.

When I spent a year in school here, the Thai reading and writing teacher was actually a farang.

But wait! That's not all! I did my drivers license in Bangkok. The person who taught me to drive... had one arm.

Edited by Stan42

ID: 62   Posted (edited)

1. What level am I at (speaking Thai)

I would say very basic .. Enough to have basic conversation, buy food, ask for things ect. Understand more than I can speak

Another thing: I notice is I understand Thai and speak it alot better when I'm drunk, when I went back last year I was have straight conversations about my life to strangers at the wedding I attended.

2. Read or write

Not at all.

3. How long have I been learning

Well, I never tried to learn it, this was something I needed to do to get by in Thailand while living there, I've been exposed majorly to the language for 3 years total (by that I mean, you could live anywhere but leave the country not knowing anything about it or the language, unless YOU Want to learn), but actually tried to really learn and remember words and teach myself (talk with mom (in Thai not in English) & the ex wife) PROBALLY less than 2 month total.

4. How do I learn?

Talk and listen.

I did have a phrase book those do nothing, due to the tones, so unless you talk with a local you'll never know if your saying it right.

5. Other langauges I speak.

Just English.

Edited by Skeetjones

Intermediate, but with patchy fluency as I only lived in Thailand for a year and 3 months and have done most of my learning out of the country. My other-half is Thai but prefers to speak English, so I 'know' a lot more than I regularly use in proper conversation.

Yes, but not at any speed and with big vocabulary holes. I got my laptop in Korea, and didn't want to muck up the keys with stickers, so can actually touch type in Thai - albeit extremely slowly! The only time I type is if I'm looking up words in an online dictionary or entering new cards in Anki (a spaced repetition flash card programme, mentioned elsewhere in this thread).

I've recently been trying to read The Daily News as often as possible, but I'm still at the regular trips to the dictionary stage and only do one article a day (on the days that I even read it)! That said, I can usually skim through and get the gist fairly easily before I go back and try to understand each sentence in detail with dictionary back-up. I occasionally put the Thai subtitles on when I'm watching a film, but that sort of speed reading is beyond me at present. One day...

I started 5 years ago, have been learning in earnest for about 3, and reasonably effectively for probably the last 2. Like a lot of language learners (or learners of anything), I'd do things a lot differently if I started again. Which, of course, is all part of the 'learning'! Learning and speaking more Thai when I actually lived in Thailand would be top of the list, followed by using Anki consistently from the start.

4. How did you learn?

I picked up bits and bobs from around and about for the first 6 months, spent 20 hours having 1:1 lessons (which got me my 'letters' and made my pronunciation mostly understandable) then had probably a couple of years going at the Benjawan Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced books, plus her first couple of 'Speak Like a Thai' CDs, dabbling with the Learn Thai Podcast (LTP) videos and dipping in and out of Anki. I had a few months going at Thai kids books (the workbooks they use in Thai schools), but didn't really get on with them as the vocabulary they were teaching me didn't suit the real life context I want (although if I do need to ask for a long, tapering, black scythe to chase the field frog through the ditch, I should now be alright).

The last two years I've got into a routine of using Anki more or less daily, first with some decks which I got as part of the LTP package and then adding my own from the Benjawan CDs, the Higbie/Thinsan Grammar book (bought 2 years ago - I'm up to page 100 out of 400-odd! Although I have learned all the classifiers from the back), the LTP vids and stuff I pick up from the newspaper and soaps. I also have a little pad I jot random words down on whenever I think of something I'd like to say in Thai that I don't know, and once I've filled a page I sit down with the dictionary and stick them in Anki.

I realised I wasn't getting enough Thai listening practice about a year ago (or that's when I first started doing something about it, anyway!) and started donwloading lakorn off youtube.They're on there in around 10 minute chunks, so I alternate with and without English subs, which works really well. I find that with the subs I can work out what they're actually saying in Thai most of the time, less so without. That said, there are 10 minute chunks where I seem to pick up nearly every word, and others where they might as well be speaking Burmese!

The regular reading of a newspaper is a newish thing, but a great vocabulary builder, and when I go from reading an article back to reading sentences, words and phrases in Anki, my improvement in reading 'fluency' is very noticable.

School-boy French (which is now being bullied out by the Thai - anyone else finding that?). Native English.

I think the main thing I've come to appreciate through this process and would tell anyone starting out learning Thai is that you don't learn 'a language'. You learn some of it. And you should appreciate what you have achieved and can understand rather than constantly beating yourself up over what you don't know.

When I think of how far I've come, especially as someone who spent his school days and 20s horribly resistant to the idea of learning a foreign language, not least because I didn't think I'd be able to, I'm proud of the place I'm at now. Whilst remaining painfully aware of how much further I'd like to get! If my experience is anything to go by, playing around with the various different learning materials and styles until you find something that works for you is probably the best approach. And regularly ringing the changes keep things interesting. Enjoy!

I learned from my Thai teacher about her farang student complaining the way Thais put the question word in the end of the sentence instead of in the front of the sentence like most of farang's language.

Then I realized that I was wrong when trying to learn Thai while comparing/referring it with English.

My mother tongue is Indonesia, when I start comparing Thai language structure with Indonesian, I find many similarities:

• Question word is the end of the sentence; Most question sentences in Indonesia language have question word in the end.
  • noun-adjective instead of adjective-noun; Farangs say "dining table", Thais say "table dining", Indonesians say "table dining" too
  • Repeated word for plural; Farangs say "friends", Thais say "friend-friend", Indonesian say "friend-friend" too
  • Thai language almost have no tenses, same like Indonesia; Both languages don't change the verb when describing event of different time.

That's all, which come to my mind now, but I am pretty sure that there are more similarities.

My problem as Indonesian speaker learning Thai is:

1. Tone
  2. Vocabulary

I believe that for farangs, the problem should be added with "grammar"

Hence, for farangs trying to learn Phasa Thai, I think that you have to stop/avoid comparing/referring Thai language to English or any farang language.

Just make yourself like a stupid guy and absorb any structure, which your Thai teacher tells you.

FYI, I also spoke a little Mandarin, but it was gone after I learned Thai for a few months;

Even I answered someone, who spoke Mandarin (I was in a Chinese restaurant in LA) to me, with Thai language crazy.gif

Great topic...pity it seems to have stalled. Thanks for the links and the Anki recommendations.

1.What level are you at?

Basic, very basic.

Can read parts of restaurant menus and road signs. Write like a two-year-old.

Spent two years in Bangkok during the '90s with speaking lessons once a week. Then back to Cantonese until I moved to Koh Samui three months ago. Now revising previously studied books and lessons.

4. How did you learn?

Mostly self taught.

Native English speaker. Schoolboy French and Irish Gaelic. Studied Cantonese for 18 years on and off. Can read Chinese (traditional), enough to follow subtitles on a movie.

I learned from my Thai teacher about her farang student complaining the way Thais put the question word in the end of the sentence instead of in the front of the sentence like most of farang's language.

As far as I know, in Thai the question word replaces the word you ask for. Which is at the end in many cases.

This is considerably easier than European languages:

in Englisch they use "do" as an auxilliary

in French there are various ways to ask questions: "est-ce que", inversion, intonation

in German, we have the question word at the beginning of the sentence and change the word order.

I have a feeling I know where all the decent members have gone to.

Where? (genuinely don't know and don't want to miss out!) drunk.gif

Pretty much at a beginners level, I can speak enough that I can usually communicate and make myself understood (Grammer, vocab and tones are shocking though). I know that first conversation / introduction you have when you first meet people, as well as basic vocab/verbs/conjunctions (I mostly learnt from a talking dictionary on my phone when I needed to say a word in a sentence). The words I know, I'm pretty confident with, but my listening is terrible (Mostly listen to Lao rather than Thai which is a lot of the problem I think)

Yes, but my vocab is very low so I don't understand the words I'm reading and often mispronounce them since I'm not good with the tone markers etc and how they change the words. Likewise my writing is just a phonetic writing, without the tones, and in general my spelling is terrible

3. How long have you been learning Thai?

I came to Thailand to live in Oct 2010, I started learning on and off then. So roughly 1 1/2 years.

4. How did you learn?

I had a teacher at my school teach me the constants and then we were starting on the vowels, when she had to leave. Just by living here though, I learnt to use a lot of words/sentences which were constantly asked of me etc, as well as a lot of the words from the alphabet song. I learnt a lot of other words from other songs which I heard, liked and then translated (often just translated the title though), as well as from friends teaching me a few words here and there while drinking. Otherwise the rest I just learnt from the dictionary on my phone while I was out and about (Since I'd go into a shop, and if I wanted a banana I'd learn the word banana before I went in kinda thing)

Only English. I had to study a Maori, French, Japanese and Latin in school at various times, but I'm terrible at languages so none of them really stuck, and I dropped each as soon as the opportunity presented itself

I'm hoping to increase my Thai once I start teaching next term though and can get into a routine of learning a few words every day :) Although we'll see what happens with that, might get put in the same basket as running and swimming every day did last term lol.

Can have a conversation, follow some TV programs, read basic signs etc

Yes, learnt that 10 years ago but slow at reading and my spelling for writing isn't great

on and off for 10 years, though I now have a private teacher to improve my reading and writing to keep up with the kids.

4. How did you learn?

Out of a book at first, took a few short courses, then left it for 5 years while getting by, then started with a private teacher 2 years ago.

Only English.

Good thread and really interesting reading. Helping motivate me as well!

I would say beginner / intermediate. Primarily based on the fact I've moved on from Thai for Beginners book to Thai for Intermediate Learners! Probably around 1000+ word vocabulary so still not enough to have more than fairly basic conversations and can speak much better than I can understand.

I can read it really quite well... but honestly don't know a lot of the words (but I know how to say and pronounce them). I can write all the letters but I need to practice much more and work on my spelling.

Picked up bits and pieces and the basics over the last few years, but have started studying really hard this year. Based on a trip to Thailand at the beginning of the year where I realised I knew much more than I thought. This really motivated me!

4. How did you learn?

Thai for Beginners and Thai for Intermediate Learners books and audio. Recently purchased a grammar book, Thai Reference Grammar. Use Anki for flashcards (inputting my vocabulary). Reading Thai children's books my wife downloaded for me. Speaking with my wife and chatting with her family on Facebook.

Only English. Always been one of my biggest regrets that I can't speak another language, so now's my chance!

Intermediate-advanced

Yes, I read the Daily News every day at Starbucks, and with a Thai teacher 3 times a wwek. ( http://www.dailynews.co.th)

about 12 years.

4. How did you learn?

Thai for Beginners and Thai for Intermediate Learners books and audio before moving to Thailand.

Moved to Thailand in 2006, since then I've had a private teacher take me to a 6th grade level. Since then, I've been using Thai newspapers with the teacher to improve my vocabulary. I have Thai tv on all the time, to improve my listening skill. I especially like channel 5 in the morning. I live in a mostly Thai building, I can practice using Thai a lot.

I'm a retired Spanish teacher.

ID: 72   Posted (edited)

I can express and say whatever I want to like a native.

Yes, it's not as hard as everyone thinks it is. The trick to mastering Thai is to also be able to read and write it.

Since I was young...yea I'm cheating, but hey, you asked wink.png

4. How did you learn?

I don't memorize what I learn. I understand it like a child would when they learn another language. I also use this technique with Chinese and French.

English

If you want me to teach you, I'd be more than happy to...

http://www.thaitumdai.co.nr

Edited by thaitumdai

1. What level are you at? still beginner after ... almost 6 years

2. Can you read and write Thai? Yes, i got a real pleasur to learn thai alphabet. Il you give me 10 mn, i maybe can read the big title in the newspaper ...

3. How long have you been learning for? 6 Years !!! :).

4. How did you learn? First 40 privat lessons with a perfect bilingual thai-french teacher. than 5 sessions to the AUA (Burapha-american-University) in Pattaya. Than the computer method HighSpeedThai. very good until the lesson "Vocabulary lesson" which are to long and difficult for me. Than "Learn Thai Podcast" with pc. Good but not good enough to pay the fees for the 2nd year (lol). I continue , very disappointed, to order food in the restaurant and my golf club to the caddy ...

5. What other languages could you speak before Thai? French (native), German, Italian, English (??) and a bit spannish.

I'm nearly fluent in a taxi cab, advanced in the market, and at a beginner's level if I'm trying to chat with Thai friends at a restaurant.

Yes, but I don't understand every word and spelling words that have a galang pose difficulties for me.

Since I arrived in April 2009.

4. How did you learn?

Benjawan Poomsan Becker's series and living the language every day

Other than English: German, French, and Spanish (which I can only read now with some duress)

I'm just 4 months old here in Thailand & started speaking few words & phrases.

No, I can't!

4 months only.

4. How did you learn?

Joined classes now.

Other than English & my own Indian languages. Little bit Arabic.