Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheThe

What Bike To Ride In Pattaya Area

21 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I'm hoping to move out to Thailand (Pattaya) over the next few months from England. I currently ride a Trek Madone 4.7 (road bike) which is great over here on English roads but i was wondering is it suitable for the roads in Thailand? I've visited Thailand many times but i've never cycled there and i'm not sure if i would need something more substantial for e.g a cyclo cross bike or even a mountain bike. I'm hoping to get involved with a cycling group and ride perhaps 2 or 3 times a week but i'm just not sure whether i should bring my Trek or not. Any advice would be very helpful.

Many thanks

Andre

Pattaya in my humblest opinion is not the best area to ride (I live in Chiang Mai) but I know the roads are good enough for a road bike. The best option here in Chiang Mai is two bikes, one mtb, one road. Great trailsand great roads.

i ride bangkok-to-pattaya 3-4 times a year. it's pleasant enough except when i get into pattaya ;-)

if you're riding *out* of pattaya i'd say a road bike will do well enough. lots of decent routes once you're out of the city. nice rolling terrain to the north & east.

if you're going to ride *in* pattaya, i'd just get the cheapest POS MTB i could find.

and pick up a good, insulated water bottle or two from back home. really worth it.

i ride bangkok-to-pattaya 3-4 times a year. it's pleasant enough except when i get into pattaya ;-)

if you're riding *out* of pattaya i'd say a road bike will do well enough. lots of decent routes once you're out of the city. nice rolling terrain to the north & east.

if you're going to ride *in* pattaya, i'd just get the cheapest POS MTB i could find.

and pick up a good, insulated water bottle or two from back home. really worth it.

Hi, which route do u take to Pattaya and how long does it take you? I've a condo in Pattaya and go often from BKK by bus but wondered about cycling there one day but was put off by the possibility of heavy traffic on the roads and the length of the journey.

You can buy several foreign bikes and accessories, new or second hand, in Thailand. I have a new Trek 720 hybrid and it is fine. Orig cost was about 15000 baht so u don't need to bring yours if it is a lot of trouble. I would go for a hybrid for road travel and mild off-road. It can get hot in Thailand so cycling long distances on the usually quite good roads with a mountain bike can be tiring (and tyring!). Most of the country roads have a white lined track at the side for motor bikes and cycles so are good for long distance cycling. Cycling in Pattaya and BKK is horrendous, though, although the authorities are beginning to waken up to the need for cycle tracks which are marginally better than at present.

Hello card, coldfusionpaul and ianf,

Thank you all for the advice its been very useful. I think i'll just leave the road bike in England and buy a hybrid once i'm out in Thailand - seems the best option!

Thanks again

Andre

Hello card, coldfusionpaul and ianf,

Thank you all for the advice its been very useful. I think i'll just leave the road bike in England and buy a hybrid once i'm out in Thailand - seems the best option!

Thanks again

Andre

I've got a Merida which I use around Pattaya. Good enough for this area and it cost around 15K Bht. I would recommend the bike shop on the Suk out near Naklua area. I used to get my bikes and bits from Thepprasit but find the shop on the Suk has been much cheaper recently.

this route was about 175km. how long that will take you depends on you & the wind. took me about 7 hours against the wind, stopping along the way for coffee, water, etc. the wind (if from the S) can be brutal south of nong chak. despite any complaints you might near from me, i still do this ride ;-)

basically it's:

bangkok-->chachoengsao-->phanat nikom-->nong chak-->route 3138 (parts are like cobblestones ;-) -->route 331-->khao mai kaeo-->route 3240-->pong-->pattaya (don't know what you call the area but you come out along the railroad tracks) .

a kml file (google earth) for this route is here: (oops garmin site wasn't cooperating) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/130830/activity_8538323.kml

besides riding the last bit in pattaya, bangkok-chachoengsao along route 304 isn't the most pleasant--lots of debris, kind of steep, not well maintained (bare rebar poking thru) bridges & a bit of traffic but that's only about 50km of which maybe 20-25km are "bad".

this route was about 175km. how long that will take you depends on you & the wind. took me about 7 hours against the wind, stopping along the way for coffee, water, etc. the wind (if from the S) can be brutal south of nong chak. despite any complaints you might near from me, i still do this ride ;-)

basically it's:

bangkok-->chachoengsao-->phanat nikom-->nong chak-->route 3138 (parts are like cobblestones ;-) -->route 331-->khao mai kaeo-->route 3240-->pong-->pattaya (don't know what you call the area but you come out along the railroad tracks) .

a kml file (google earth) for this route is here: (oops garmin site wasn't cooperating) http://dl.dropbox.co...ity_8538323.kml

besides riding the last bit in pattaya, bangkok-chachoengsao along route 304 isn't the most pleasant--lots of debris, kind of steep, not well maintained (bare rebar poking thru) bridges & a bit of traffic but that's only about 50km of which maybe 20-25km are "bad".

Thanks, I'll look into this.

it looks like i'll be doing that route sunday. i'll report back if there any major changes.

TheThe bring your Trek Madone with you. I have a 5.5 Madone and find time to ride it every week. I also have a mountain bike so it's nice to switch now and then.

A beach cruiser would be great for Pattaya Beach Road. Never enough bicycles.:)

i can report that the route is more or less the same.

• #304 outbound is still a big mess from seemingly endless construction.
  • #3138 is still cobblestone like (shook the blood out of my arms & popped the caps on the end of my handlebars clean off). shame really, nice riding terrain.
  • #3240 from khao mai kaew into pong is vastly improved. used to be kind of a narrow, 2 lane road. it's still 2 lane but the road shoulders have been massively widened (about the width of a regular traffic lane). road shoulder surface is smooth so you can really come screaming down out of the hills ;-)
  • pattaya itself is still the suck

I'm going to bring the trek afte all "sendaht", thanks for the reply!

Andre...The/The

many fine rides out of Pattaya. Just be extra careful and patient getting east of Sukhumvit. Once on the road that parallels the railroad tracks, you are home free!

Explore rides north and south, you'll be amazed.

Bring 1-2 front headlamp beams (solid and strobe flasher).

Stay off Sukhumvit, or use sparringly.

Thailand has "counterflow." This is a polite euphemism to denote traffic in your bike lane coming head-on! Use head nods, head checks, etc.

I run one of my white strobe headlights for day and night rides. Have a bell on your handlebars and a jersey pocket full of doggie biscuits (bribes work).

Don't throw the biscuits aggressively towards the dogs. More like and "excuse me pitch." A back hander. The dogs are great.

I never have dogs chase nor bark at me. I rode with an Auzzie mate and he stopped and fought with every single dog enroute to Ban Chang!

Kreng jai (stay within yourself). No outer aggro vibe.

If you head south on the spacious road that parallels the RR tracks, once it dead ends, head east. This is towards Huat Yai. You head towards Highway #331, yet turn south

past Huay Yai towards Bang Chek Ngao. Bang Chek Ngao reminds me of an old wooden Chinese hamlet. Once you enter the moobahn explore about. You'll be surprised.

Can be an odor wafting about this area as there is a rendering plant just west. Stinks like hell sometimes!

At the main highway, head WEST towards Sukhumvit for about 500m. Great chicken places to eat on your immediate left. Kao man gai! Arroi mak mak!

You will now see signs for various Wats. Turn left (south).

You will be greeted by a slight incline and then a ripping downhill, fun stuff! Keep your eyes peeled to the east, there is a huge reservoir there! Fine for fishing and swimming on hot days.

Road access is at the beginning of your steep descent, or at the bottom and loop back. You can pedal across the top of the dam's embankment.

You then come upon the "Wat Complex." Many, many Wats. Head east towards "Wat Mondoup." This bicycle-perfect lane is 3m wide, through a jungle canopy. Explore the twisty lanes.

More reservoirs. Loop all over this area.

You can pop out to Highway #331, head south and then loop west to the Big Buddha, or Wat Ban Xian.

Or head east to the connector road to Hwy #36 and Ban Chang. Split off at the EMS station when entering Ban Chang. Many big trees.

If you are entering Ban Chang and pass all the clubs, split right. Fine, fine Tai eats at "Pom Yai(Big Hair)." Yes, this is the name of the restaurant that everyone in town eats at.

Excellent fare.

If you wish to fill up your water bottles/CamelBack with ice and fresh water, it is 10b. Ask waitress ahead of time and you can help yourself.

From here, loop back to Pattaya and you've done 88km.

Or, head down Hwy#3 (Sukhumvit...oops, did I advise against Sukh?) to Rayong.

Head towards the beach area, or keep pedaling to Klaeng. From Pattaya to Klaeng is 132km, easy 1 day ride.

Continue on back roads to Chanthaburi and Trat. from Chanthaburi, head north to Soi Dao and loop back to Pattaya on Hwy #3259.

You will be smiling! Great places to eat and stay enroute. Just pack up and depart. You'll figure the rest out enroute.

You'll be amazed at bicycling in Thailand. I certainly was and am impressed.

From Pattaya northwards: am not a big fan of #331, but I use it to my advantage.

Make your way to Pluak Dang, many ways of doing this. Great eats, excellent somtam, cheaper than Pattaya.

You want Highway #3245, one of Thailand's best kept secrets. I've ridden this road at day and night, tree lined, shady and very, very sweet.

I rode #3245 north to #3259 and headed east and north to Sa Kaeo.

If you get tired, just ask about any store keeper for a guesthouse, or small hotel. I paid about 300-400n per night.

Food fantastic. Gourmet coffee available everywhere. Shaved iced treats for hot afternoons.

Have fun exploring!

Burgdawg, all those rides sound just my cup of tea. Pity I live in BKK and only have the odd Saturday or Sunday to ride. I will not be doing anything like 80kms until I upgrade, bonus permitting.