Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

I came here in 1999 as the Ozzie Regional Automotive Trade Commissioner in BKK at the Embassy. Sat through the FTA, Asean and Apec deals and fed info to the Trade Minister and was not listened to. Shit happens. Now many friends have dollars and years with diminishing prospects of any return. As is always the answer here "Up to you"

• Like 2

17 hours ago, grollies said:

Interesting. Two years old. What would be more interesting is if the author re-visited those people today. I'll bet Somchai hasn't managed to keep up the repayments on his new truck.

i bet he taps his own trees so the returns would still be ok at the 20 ish baht kg... if not there is always the little blue pills to sell, if its like the wifes area supply can not keep up with demand....

• Haha 1

We get weighed and paid out tomorrow, after delivery to the auction this morning.

Just found out the winning bid was 18.95 baht per kg for cup.

Worst price since Jan 2016.

We will be going over to a 55/45 split with the tappers tomorrow...

The only good thing is this is "prime time" for tapping up here - production figures are way up. If this was rainy season, mid July or similar, at those prices, tappers would down tools and we'd shut the plantations down. Nov-Dec-Jan we'll keep going.

Might go back to the UK in the new year and get a job....

• Like 1

scott, sounds like you have been busy..... can you give me idea on the price, say per tree ish what the teak returned for you, the trees were about 25 years old if i remember right?
with what you have learned through farming here, would you farm again if you could turn the clock back?

Nah dude, I definitely wouldn't do it again...

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

• Like 2

Scott i feel u r the really smart 1 here. Cashing almost everything in. According to my very astute wife is probably the best thing to do. The way the country is headed is not good. Look at any country run for too long by a military.
My wife has engineers with great qualifications working in high paid positions, these people havnt had a payrise in 3 years. Price of everything going up.
Be very careful and aware,things could be going to get a lot tougher. It may be wise to cash major assets in and be ready to make a nasty decision to stay or leave. Going back to the west isnt a great idea,but neither is living in a Zimbabwe style country.
The puppeteer if u know who im talking about has a house in germany,and is ready to bailout at any time. I cant say the name as ill be kicked off tv.
Im not trying to scare u guys just give an opinion based on knowledge of people i highly respect. Forewarned is forearmed.
Take care guys.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

Nah dude, I definitely wouldn't do it again...

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

I don't think any of us would. Oh for a crystal ball in 2003.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Scott i feel u r the really smart 1 here. Cashing almost everything in. According to my very astute wife is probably the best thing to do. The way the country is headed is not good. Look at any country run for too long by a military.
My wife has engineers with great qualifications working in high paid positions, these people havnt had a payrise in 3 years. Price of everything going up.
Be very careful and aware,things could be going to get a lot tougher. It may be wise to cash major assets in and be ready to make a nasty decision to stay or leave. Going back to the west isnt a great idea,but neither is living in a Zimbabwe style country.
The puppeteer if u know who im talking about has a house in germany,and is ready to bailout at any time. I cant say the name as ill be kicked off tv.
Im not trying to scare u guys just give an opinion based on knowledge of people i highly respect. Forewarned is forearmed.
Take care guys.

He was there until about 6 weeks ago. Many of our friends don't know that, including my missus.

Sent from my iris 505 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mosha are you talking about the puppeteer? If so, Yes hes got a kid there and another mrs. Theres been many pics on thai websights. Many have been shut down due to the nature of the posts,pics ect. Deffinately not the type of pics a person in that position would be proud of. One would expect more class,but apparently not to be.
I asked my mrs if they were photo shopped but she swears they not.
Its very obvious thais have no respect for this 1. This really worries me,when it comes to security of the country.