Thailand Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

george

True Move Launching Samsung Galaxy S Ii

justsumhelp    20

Just to reiterate im going on pure speculation. The Captivate, Vibrant , Epic, and Fascinate (all galaxy S variations) were never marketed as a quad band UTMS phones, Samsung and countless other sources all specify that the SGS2 is equipped with a quad band UTMS radio. Also now that there is a sim unlock provided by XDA it seems that carriers are not changing the radios on the phone just the ROM's. The only information i can find about the i9100T and i9100 versions of the phone are from Thai blogs which im sure are very poorly translated by google, ( I can not read Thai). Anyways unless Samsung rep's cruise TV forums and provide an answer we will all just have to wait until the phone is released. But it still makes me wonder what version the Samsung store will sell. If you could provide some links or info about the i9100T and i9100 versions i would greatly appreciate it.

UPDATE: apparently entering *#2263# into the phone allows you to select the radio frequencies

I'm pretty sure you are not deliberately trying to mislead people with your posts; we'll just chalk it up to naive exuberance. I still think it's safe to say there are two different SGS2 models currently being made available here: i9100T and i9100 - WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100). And yes, they have different 3G hardware, and an 850/1900/2100 cannot be "flashed" to become a 900/1900/2100 unit. Service providers and country subsidiaries are responsible for forecasting and orders for 3G models; Samsung builds the appropriate unit based on those forecasts/orders. They need to keep costs down so are not putting in quad-band radios. Again, I would strongly recommend you buy the correct unit for your current and projected (I know this is challenging) needs.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S variant: Captivate with 850/1900/2100 3G. I can both see and select WCDMA 900 in my service menu, but it doesn't work. I think these service menus really confuse people and start the rumors flying. We've been down this road quite a few times already.

Lastly, regarding locked phones, we are not "seeing the trend take hold here". There is no trend, no inkling of a trend beginning and no way this would ever work here. The SGS2 is a hot phone and I think we should be pleased that there are models for for both True/TOT and AIS. The original SGS did not support True/850; hence those of us who wanted one had to go for the Captivate (from AT&T).

Samsung Galaxy S Captivate (AT&T), 850/1900/2100 Mhz 3G, using SGS Tools (also *#*#197328640#*#* gets you into the Engineering menus)

mark_usa    0

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

lomatopo    1,423

Just to update, MBK is now selling the US and Hong Kong versions of this phone between 21,900 - 24,000. I'm still waiting for the official release of the phone, but no one seems to know, including the Samsung retail shops. Speculating sometime in July...

Current chatter points to July 1 ~ 15. (Specifically saw "on or about July 10-11" in one thread.)

justsumhelp    20

US versions??????

Current chatter points to July 1 ~ 15. (Specifically saw "on or about July 10-11" in one thread.)

lomatopo    1,423

I believe mark_usa is referring to grey-market imports from the U.S. and/or Hong Kong.

I was specifically referring to localized product.

lomatopo    1,423

No problem I was just really excited to here the phone has came State side.

Strictly speaking it has not, most expect AT&T-Attain; Verizon-Function and Sprint-Within to launch in July.

luudee    581

I'm pretty sure you are not deliberately trying to mislead people with your posts; we'll just chalk it up to naive exuberance. I still think it's safe to say there are two different SGS2 models currently being made available here: i9100T and i9100 - WCDMA / HSDPA Dual Band (850/2100 MHz: for True Move and DTAC model i9100T) or (900/2100 MHz: for the AIS version i9100). And yes, they have different 3G hardware, and an 850/1900/2100 cannot be "flashed" to become a 900/1900/2100 unit. Service providers and country subsidiaries are responsible for forecasting and orders for 3G models; Samsung builds the appropriate unit based on those forecasts/orders. They need to keep costs down so are not putting in quad-band radios. Again, I would strongly recommend you buy the correct unit for your current and projected (I know this is challenging) needs.

Actually, according to the Samsung web site they ARE putting in quad band radios in to the Galaxy 2:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

Cheers,rudi

lomatopo    1,423

Actually, according to the Samsung web site they ARE putting in quad band radios in to the Galaxy 2:

http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxys2/html/specification.html

Quad band GSM 850/900/1800/1900

Quad band UMTS 850/900/1900/2100

Cheers,rudi

Yes, no question that we all expected the Samsung Galaxy S II to have 850/900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G support in each and every variant. And yes, most websites mention this quad-band 3G capability.

What appears different is the two different model numbers; i9100 and i9100T. Maybe both of these support four 3G bands, but until we know for sure those considering a blind purchase should make sure you get the model which currently supports the 3G network(s) you might require in the event that only three 3G bands are supported. This may end up being a non-issue; I just don't want someone to potentially buy the wrong version.

SweRob    0

18,900 from TGFone http://www.tgfone.co....php?my_id=1357

Hey, TGFone has the phone in stock now? or are you just posting the retail price of the unit?

SweRob    0

I believe mark_usa is referring to grey-market imports from the U.S. and/or Hong Kong.

I was specifically referring to localized product.

The phone aint released in the US tough. Maybe he meant the UK.

I find it strange that they can sell imports under the European price range, in Europe the Galaxy S2 goes for 30 000 bath.

skybluestu    166

Hey, TGFone has the phone in stock now? or are you just posting the retail price of the unit?

A colleague said there was two places that had it in our local mall and one of them was TGFone.

SweRob    0

A colleague said there was two places that had it in our local mall and one of them was TGFone.

Wich mall is this?

skybluestu    166

Checked again today and something got lost in translation first time round, none in stock but can order with delivery in '2-3 weeks'.

Price of 18,900 is pretty good when you consider it will be 24,000 in America and 25,000+ in UK.