Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dunkin2012

The Child Prostitution Problem In Thailand

63 posts in this topic

Child Prostitution in Thailand

by Sirirat Pusurinkham Child prostitution is a serious social problem in Thailand. Prostitution is a form of enslavement that currently involves perhaps 800,000 children under the age of sixteen, bought and sold for a profit that exceeds that of the drug trade or weapons sales or lotteries or sports gambling.

http://www.thewitness.org

ncregister.com

wiki Prostitution of Children

Sex work web link

It is important to note that this is not a news article from a recognized news source but rather a report from a Christian mission in Chiang Rai that does not cite the sources for its information--sbk admin

Perhaps 800,000 children under the age of sixteen?

Perhaps??

Numbers have been estimated to be as low as 12,000 to somewhere in the hundreds of thousands.

Girls as young as 10-12 years old service men in the sex industry. Many of the girls typically have sex with ten to fifteen men every day, and sometimes as many as 20 to 30.

Interesting numbers.

I dont think anyone denies the problem exists and must be dealt with.

But where does she get the numbers from?

From the tone of the post, speaking of "blame" for Thai cultural sex practices, and the link to a religious website, seems they are using the child sex hot button to appose prostitution in general.

thanks for restoring the missing piece.

Found the rest of this article here:

Witness article Child Prostitution

Quite a hard hitting piece from April 2007, which will hopefully help raise awareness of Thailand's darker side.

Tried to contact her via the e-mail to get the up-to-date info. and anything to back up those figures she quoted in the article. Apparently, the e-mail is no longer used anymore.

"Numbers have been estimated to be as low as 12,000 to somewhere in the hundreds of thousands." is from another child prostitution website.

very interesting article!!!!

Perhaps??

Numbers have been estimated to be as low as 12,000 to somewhere in the hundreds of thousands.

Girls as young as 10-12 years old service men in the sex industry. Many of the girls typically have sex with ten to fifteen men every day, and sometimes as many as 20 to 30.

Interesting numbers.

if this is true?

The men arrive from the Europe and the US, and often a bus is waiting at the airport to take them straight to the girls. All of this is organized through the Internet — and not only in Bangkok. There is an urgent need to control this trade. The men pay the girls $4, sometimes $5. After the pimp has taken his share, the girls are left with less than the price of a meal.

800,000 child prostitutes out of a total population of what, 65 million....

Hmmm.

No doubt that whatever she talks about has some thruth in it.

But I doubt the numbers.

What is the toal number of kids under 16 in Thailand ?

I just got some figures from Wikipedia ( not perfect I know ) which came from the CIA World Factbook . ( they might be totally wrong but they should still show what a load of rubbish this article is ). It states that from 0-14 years of age the population of females ( I'm presumimg they will make up most of the prostitutes ) is 6,466,225. stick on another 500,000 or so for the rest top make it up to those under sixteen and you can see that the numbers just don't add up.

So 800,000 kids out of 7 million or so are under age prostitutes !!!! This is absolute <deleted> and whoever spreads this kind of rubbish for their own religous purposes should be rounded up and...........................up to you.

Not saying it doesn't happen but on this scale ....

Don't think so.

thanks for restoring the missing piece.

Found the rest of this article here:

Witness article Child Prostitution

Quite a hard hitting piece from April 2007, which will hopefully help raise awareness of Thailand's darker side.

Tried to contact her via the e-mail to get the up-to-date info. and anything to back up those figures she quoted in the article. Apparently, the e-mail is no longer used anymore.

"Numbers have been estimated to be as low as 12,000 to somewhere in the hundreds of thousands." is from another child prostitution website.

very interesting article!!!!

Perhaps??

Interesting numbers.

if this is true?

The men arrive from the Europe and the US, and often a bus is waiting at the airport to take them straight to the girls. All of this is organized through the Internet — and not only in Bangkok. There is an urgent need to control this trade. The men pay the girls $4, sometimes $5. After the pimp has taken his share, the girls are left with less than the price of a meal.

I doubt the last paragraph "The men pay the girls $4, sometimes $5"

An attractive, young b/g will charge far more than this and child prostitution must attract an even higher price as a 'niche' market with far greater risks.

Of course its a problem, but until the government does something about it, nothing will change.

Poor parents encourage their daughters to move to tourist areas to 'get money' - selling their children is just another (horrible) step in the pursuit of money.

According to the article below "poverty and the great demand by pedos for [young] children,"

Honestly, with $4-$5 no one can even get an aged whore in Pattaya , CM or else.(these days)

seriously!!!!!.... someone gotta do something to fix this.:closedeyes:

I doubt the last paragraph "The men pay the girls $4, sometimes $5"

An attractive, young b/g will charge far more than this and child prostitution must attract an even higher price as a 'niche' market with far greater risks.

Of course its a problem, but until the government does something about it, nothing will change.

Poor parents encourage their daughters to move to tourist areas to 'get money' - selling their children is just another (horrible) step in the pursuit of money.

The root cause of child prostitution is "poverty and the great demand by pedophiles for [young] children," said Lea Robidillo, Asia desk coordinator for the International Catholic Child Bureau (ICCB).

Read more: http://www.ncregiste.../#ixzz1OlroD3Uh

What is the toal number of kids under 16 in Thailand ?

I just got some figures from Wikipedia ( not perfect I know ) which came from the CIA World Factbook . ( they might be totally wrong but they should still show what a load of rubbish this article is ). It states that from 0-14 years of age the population of females ( I'm presumimg they will make up most of the prostitutes ) is 6,466,225. stick on another 500,000 or so for the rest top make it up to those under sixteen and you can see that the numbers just don't add up.

So 800,000 kids out of 7 million or so are under age prostitutes !!!! This is absolute <deleted> and whoever spreads this kind of rubbish for their own religous purposes should be rounded up and...........................up to you.

Not saying it doesn't happen but on this scale ....

Don't think so.

To be frank whether it's 800,000, 80,000 or even 8,000, underage sex or calling it for what it is, child abuse and exploitation is a major problem here. No other country has prostitution of all forms on such an industrial scale, to Thailand's eternal shame. While the figutres may be exaggerated in the OP, the problem is not, the complacency about it is not, the ignorance of the scale of the problem is not, and the unwillingness of the authorities (for a whole host of reasons) to enforce the law is not exaggerated.

This issue has been discussed with particular reference to Chiang Mai on that forum, in some detail and the link is below:

Darker Side of CM

From the tone of the post, speaking of "blame" for Thai cultural sex practices, and the link to a religious website, seems they are using the child sex hot button to appose prostitution in general.

I agree and even when Thailand was wide open with prostitution everywhere, have never seen "10 or 12 year old girls" selling themselves in Thai brothers or anywhere else for that matter.

I agree and even when Thailand was wide open with prostitution everywhere, have never seen "10 or 12 year old girls" selling themselves in Thai brothers or anywhere else for that matter.

While you may not have witnessed it (neither have I), this does not mean that the sexual abuse of children is absent from Thailand. Tragically it does exist and on a scale that few of us can comprehend. Child abuse is not just a "hot button" issue, it is a fact of life in LOS.

I agree that it exists, but not on the scale claimed by NGOs and religious groups that profit by exaggerating it.

Unfortunately, very few of them concentrate on saving children except to attract attention to raise funds for stopping prostitution in general.