Thailand Visa Forum by Thai Visa | The Nation

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sk1max

How Much Cash Can You Bring Into Thailand?How Much Cash Can You Bring Into Thailand?

How much cash can you bring into Thailand? I would like to know the current limit. It used to be $10,000, just wondering if it has changed, appreciate any help/advice.

I was/am unaware of a limit bringing cash IN to Thailand. There is a limit to bringing cash OUT of many countries. Thailand's limit for taking THB out is pretty low.

The US states you must declare cash in excess of 10k USD being taken out of the US (I think).

that's the same for bringing cash into thailand

you can bring all you have but you have to declare it if it is over 10000

why not wire transfer for 5o bucks rather than walk around with a million in a suitcase ?

why not wire transfer for 5o bucks rather than walk around with a million in a suitcase ?

exchange rates???

No limit but they will probably ask you what it's for if you're bringing around 50k or more, even with a wire transfer, but they won't care about the answer. If you are taking it out of the US you should be prepared with documentation explaining how you came into it (eg bank slip, accounting statement). Don't even think about not declaring it.

As already suggested you are far better off wiring the funds into an account here and will get a better exchange rate too.

over US$10,000 and you have to declare it at both ends

exchange rates on a wire transfer are better than those for cash

Bringing money into Thailand is not the problem. You should focus more on taking money out of your country and if necessary, repatriation of money back to your country.

but cash gives you more flexibilty,and freedom of choice when to exchange,tt transfer restricted to price on that day,okay if rates drop,but one baht increase you can lose a few bob.and your saving on fees,but suppose peace of mind if it in the bank.

exchange rates???

very good

talk to your bank back home.that is what they do.there were threads here too. search

The maximum allowable amount to be wired in is unlimited and for good reason: Most farangs here in Chiang Mai simply cannot be bothered with carrying in trivial amounts of cash like $10,000 or $20,000.

Take a quick trip around the city and observe the farangs enjoying a cold bottle of beer and a smoke at 7 AM. Chiang Mai attracts these men of success. A significant number own two pairs of sandals and some own as many as three wife beater shirts! Think of CM as the Monaco of Asia.

but cash gives you more flexibilty,and freedom of choice when to exchange,tt transfer restricted to price on that day,okay if rates drop,but one baht increase you can lose a few bob.and your saving on fees,but suppose peace of mind if it in the bank.

transfer by SWIFT(a wire transfer) to a US dollar account at a Thai bank and convert to baht whenever you choose at the TT rates at the time you convert to baht, not the rates on the date of transfer

Ya say Chiang Mai attracts men of success.I didn't see that when I was there.I will say this with all the air pollution you need good lungs to live there.I could feel my lungs tightening up as soon as I landed.

transfer by SWIFT(a wire transfer) to a US dollar account at a Thai bank and convert to baht whenever you choose at the TT rates at the time you convert to baht, not the rates on the date of transfer

wasnt aware of that method,i presume they have a sterling account at bkkbank,do you have to convert the full sum,when your ready or part of it,and are there additional bank charges for operating same

good tip that,can you open f/c account on line or local branch,have account and i banking allready.

good tip that,can you open f/c account on line or local branch,have account and i banking allready.

Feel free to look that up.